Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 2:02:43 PM EDT
I got hit my first time sunday. I got hit in the middle of my throat,felt like i got shot by a bb gun.It left a nice red lump and welt. It was not pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
i got hit by something one time.  not sure if it was led, a piece of jacket or what.  i got it in my throat as well.  stung like a bee sting, and left a nice red welt for a few hours.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Did it a come-back-at-ya or was it from a poorly timed revolver?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you kidding,,,I Enjoy it Running up on Plate,Engage,,,,,,,Love it
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume this was an indoor range?

It happens, particularly if the range is short -- this is one of the reason you wear eye protection!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been hit a couple times, and I have found lots of flattened rounds laying around the firing line while cleaning up
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
One time while servicing a commercial range a shooter stepped to the line, chambered, and then fired while I was down range. Not sure how he got to that point, but I was pissed...

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah. I was hit by a small chunk of lead. Took a couple of pellets as a close-in ricochet from a effed-up single-barrel trap shotgun (20ga 2.5", 7.5 lead shot), but it only broke skin, didn't go further.

You can still see the damage on the concrete where the gun went off as the kid was closing it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got hit my first time sunday. I got hit in the middle of my throat,felt like i got shot by a bb gun.It left a nice red lump and welt. It was not pleasant.

More times than I can count on the plate range.

EYE PROTECTION.

SG
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
When I shot IPSC, we'd have steel plates and pepperpopper contests afterwards, and I got hit a number of times in the face with lead coming back.  My Oakleys saved me at least once, and I'd get some nice welts on my face/forehead.

HH
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been hit a few times at indoor ranges.  Always in the chest/shoulders area.  But I do wear my eye protection, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More times than I can count on the plate range.

EYE PROTECTION.

SG

At Practical pistol matches you get hit rather frequently.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I got hit in the eye by a .22 round that got dislodged from the tree i was shooting after i hit it with another .22 round. I blinked right before it hit me. It didnt hurt any but i was very lucky. I suppose i should use it as a sign to wear eye protection, I usually wear sunglasses though
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been hit a few times before, mostly indoor ranges. But they don't let you shoot hollow points anymore so I haven't been hit in a while. The other shooters are hitting the metal target hanger. I could see it moving after I felt the chunk hit me. Not real bad, but there is a reason they keep reminding you to wear your eye protection at all times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
never?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Small chunks are common on the indoor range.  

Best was after a round of pins looking down at my foot and finding a slightly deformed 45 slug sitting on top of my shoe  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep...plate range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Got hit a few times by pieces of bullet jacket.

No big deal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Same happened to me, except above my lip. It bled a little. A guy a few lanes down from me was shooting a .44 mag.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Watching a cowboy shoot demo.  Hot lead bounced off a steel plate, connected in the middle of my chest, not pleasant.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I got hit in the leg with some buckshot while charging a full size viking cut out

I remember on a show on the discovery channel a long time ago, one of those crime reenactment shows. A guy was shooting a rifle at an indoor range and a bullet bounced off like 4 thinks and hit a kid in the head, killing him.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Few times, mostly the kind of stuff already posted.  But the weirdest was at a section called the "tin-can range" which is a 40 yard range that you can set metal and plastic containers out at and blast away at.  Very popular with the AR/AK/FAL/10/22 crowd.  Anyway, I was walking to the line with a full six pack of discount cola to set out during the next break (shake 'em up, lots of fun to hit) when one of them started squirting out of the side.  Took a moment to figure out what had happened but I thought, "that probably would have left a mark!"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I think your "friends" are having you stand at the wrong end of the range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#25]
In the academy, one of our instructors was demonstrating something to one of the other cadets while the rest of us were taking a break.  I was about 50 yds away from them with my earmuffs off but my Oaks still on.  The instructor was shooting a tricked-out Kimber .45 at a steel plate.

I heard a quick, angry buzz after he took a shot and felt something hit my right ear.  It left a nice little gash inside my ear.  Fuck all if that didn't hurt like a mofo, too
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I've gotten the "peppercorn" blast many times from guys shooting black powder, and guys shooting those damn monster revolvers (!)
I've had a hot 5.56 brass get caught under my shirt collar, heard the sizzleing and smelled the burning flesh. I used to shoot with sunglasses, but got a hot .22lr brass trapped between the glass and my eyelid. Now I wear tight fitting shooters safety glasses.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Are you kidding,,,I Enjoy it Running up on Plate,Engage,,,,,,,Love it

+1000 That's the price of doing business on steel. Just make sure it's only pieces of lead and not the entire round (i.e. keep your steel angled right and in good condition).

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#28]
eye protection, eye protection, eye protection......................
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at a "Steel Challenge" type event several years ago when a bystander got hit in the neck with a piece of bullet jacket riccocheting off a plate.  Sliced his jugular and down he went. A paramedic saved his life with some quick response. (along with the nice people in the MedEvac helicopter) He had surgery and was released from the hospital a couple of days later.  No permanent harm done.

FB
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Every time my buddy shoots his Ruger SP1
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much anytime I shoot indoors at the Bullseye in Tacoma.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Happens all the time while shooting frangables at skeel.  Not pleasant, agreed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Not the same thing but the question reminded me of the incident.

I got hit in the temple with a golf ball at the driving range last year. It almost knocked me the fuck out!!!

This man and his teenage son set up next to me, with my back to them as I am hitting balls. A few minutes go by with all three of us nailing Drivers down the center. I am finishing my practice swing when BAM!!! I get hit in the temple with something and almost go out.

I honest to God thought someone hit me in the head with a golf glub and was backpeddling trying to see where the bad guy was at. I see the father, son come running towards me apologizing like there is no tomorrow. I realize then that whatever happened was an accident and try to get me thoughts back together.
Somehow the father had gotten under and sliced the piss out of a golf ball with his driver. I was only about 5 yards away so I took a FULL POWER SHOT.

It raised a pretty good bump. When I got home, I had to explain to my then wife how I was almost killed at the driving range.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I once shot crappy reloads that "spit" lead.  I thought maybe my revolver was out of time, but it turned out to be the reloads
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Usually I get hit by bullet jackets more than lead.

That happens all the time around ranges where you shoot steel targets. One of the reasons good eye pro is a must....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes.
Does anyoe else think it happens more at some ranges than other?

I never get hit at our Silver Bullet range, but I get a lot of lead splatter at the Front Line.

Don't like it, but it doesn't bother me a lot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#37]
About 10 years ago a friend and I were shooting in the woods of Vermont
There was a small drainage pipe ( corrugated steel ) in the direction where we were shooting
He was shooting a 357 revolver 6in S&W 686 I believe and all of a sudden I felt something hit me in the stomach
We were only about 15 feet from the drain pipe and I felt pretty lucky afterwards that I didn't get hurt seriously

I'm pretty sure it was a 357 JHP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top