Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:13:48 AM EDT
Bell’s Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter Prepares for First Flight

(Source: Bell Helicopter; dated Feb. 25, web-posted March 3, 2006)

HAI, Dallas, TX --- In July of 2005, Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company was awarded the contract to build the 368 Armed Reconnaissance Helicopters (ARH) for the United States Army. The new ARH will replace the venerable OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. Based on Bell’s commercial 407 helicopter, the ARH will provide the warfighter a helicopter with unmatched reliability, survivability, speed and payload capability.

“It is amazing what the integrated Bell, Army development and design team has accomplished with the ARH program since the awarding of the contract last year,” said Bell ARH Program Manager Bill Leonard. “The ARH program has achieved significant Army confidence milestones in the last six months including key component deliveries and four major reviews all within a very compressed timeline.”

Between September and December of 2005, the ARH successfully completed a system requirement review, an integrated baseline review, a systems functional review and a preliminary design review.

“Our first four systems design and development, or SDD, aircraft are being designed and built as we speak at our Bell XWorx facility in Arlington, Texas,” Leonard said. “We are on an extremely aggressive schedule to get this aircraft in the hands of the warfighter as quickly as possible, and we are working diligently to meet our commitment to the Army.”

Twenty-nine OH-58D Kiowa Warriors have been lost since the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. That leaves 347 OH-58Ds currently in operation, placing Army Aviation 21 aircraft below their requirement.

First Flight of the ARH is scheduled for this quarter with limited user testing beginning in August. The first combat ready operational unit will be equipped with the Bell ARH by the fourth quarter 2008.

Bell Helicopter is an industry-leading producer of commercial and military, manned and unmanned vertical lift aircraft and the pioneer of the revolutionary tilt rotor aircraft. Globally recognized for world-class customer service, innovation and superior quality, Bell’s global workforce serves customers flying Bell aircraft in more than 120 countries.

-ends-

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:15:07 AM EDT
Looks like my local news chopper!

...With rockets of course.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:17:52 AM EDT
why did they take the sight off the top and place in under the nose?

it lost it hide and spy capability by doing that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:21:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hanau:
why did they take the sight off the top and place in under the nose?

it lost it hide and spy capability by doing that.

see here.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:22:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:

+1

Maybe so they can sell it to local LEO's...Cause they need FLIR too
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:39:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 10:49:35 AM EDT by DvlDog]
dont mean to hi-jack but someone asked about the MMS:

the mast mounted sight was designed around the "mask and fire" doctrine which was developed during the cold war. it was thought back in the 70s and 80s that there was an "armor gap" in europe. that soviet tanks out numbered NATO takns something like 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 so a lot of emphasis was put on anti armor systems. the A-10 grew out of this as did the apache. the thinking at the time was that the soviets would pour tanks through the fulda gap and we needed hunter/killer teams that could take out multiple tanks per mission. the OH-58D and apache combo were spec'd out and built around this doctrine. hover and hide....peek with the mast mounted sight. then the apache would un-mask and fire. pilots, especially former cobra pilots from 'nam hated this entire approach.

now back to the topic at hand:

the picture above was the technology demonstrator and my dad flew it about a year ago. he's never been a fan of the OH-58 although he did like the 4 bladed system and increased power on the kiowa warrior. the old man reports that this is a good system. not as good as something from the MD family with NOTAR would have been but MD didnt think of this. and the bell concept allows for a modular SLEP refit of existing airframes much like their AH-1Z and UH-1Y programs which will save the army, (and the tax payers) tens of millions over the price of a new airframe aquisition like the MD would have been. supposedly the ARH will have more power than the technology demonstrator and from what my dad told me most of the guys invited to fly it, especially the ones with combat experience recommended low skid gear, ditching the rotor brake, and some enhanced crew survivability gear all of which they were informed would be on the production model.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:09:52 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. I just hope they don't have the spaghetti mess of wiring the 58D has.

The Armament/Electrical maintainers nightmare.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:43 PM EDT
Pretty quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:40:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
Pretty quick turnaround.

All the cash from the canceled Commanche program is pushing this through.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:49:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By COLE-CARBINE:

Pretty quick turnaround.

Too bad there was no cash left over from the A-12 program.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:58:03 PM EDT

Pretty quick turnaround.

How much did that boondoggle end up costing? Was it in the billions?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:58:46 PM EDT

Pretty quick turnaround.

It was still in court a couple of months ago, IIRC. Hell, it might still be there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:01:50 PM EDT

Pretty quick turnaround.

Yeah, amazing how quickly you can outfit retired Jet Rangers with rockets and call them new. :D
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:12:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shooter0311:

+1

Crowd control, from the air?
Didn't we try that once?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Originally Posted By shooter0311:

+1

Didn't we try that once?

Running Man?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:47 PM EDT

Bell’s Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter Prepares for First Flight

www.aviationnews.com.au/images/ARH8(cropped).jpg

(Source: Bell Helicopter; dated Feb. 25, web-posted March 3, 2006)

HAI, Dallas, TX --- In July of 2005, Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company was awarded the contract to build the 368 Armed Reconnaissance Helicopters (ARH) for the United States Army. The new ARH will replace the venerable OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. Based on Bell’s commercial 407 helicopter, the ARH will provide the warfighter a helicopter with unmatched reliability, survivability, speed and payload capability.

“It is amazing what the integrated Bell, Army development and design team has accomplished with the ARH program since the awarding of the contract last year,” said Bell ARH Program Manager Bill Leonard. “The ARH program has achieved significant Army confidence milestones in the last six months including key component deliveries and four major reviews all within a very compressed timeline.”

Between September and December of 2005, the ARH successfully completed a system requirement review, an integrated baseline review, a systems functional review and a preliminary design review.

“Our first four systems design and development, or SDD, aircraft are being designed and built as we speak at our Bell XWorx facility in Arlington, Texas,” Leonard said. “We are on an extremely aggressive schedule to get this aircraft in the hands of the warfighter as quickly as possible, and we are working diligently to meet our commitment to the Army.”

Twenty-nine OH-58D Kiowa Warriors have been lost since the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. That leaves 347 OH-58Ds currently in operation, placing Army Aviation 21 aircraft below their requirement.

First Flight of the ARH is scheduled for this quarter with limited user testing beginning in August. The first combat ready operational unit will be equipped with the Bell ARH by the fourth quarter 2008.

Bell Helicopter is an industry-leading producer of commercial and military, manned and unmanned vertical lift aircraft and the pioneer of the revolutionary tilt rotor aircraft. Globally recognized for world-class customer service, innovation and superior quality, Bell’s global workforce serves customers flying Bell aircraft in more than 120 countries.

-ends-

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR­RRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:15:19 PM EDT

Pretty quick turnaround.

The comanchee? The program had been running since 83, i'm willing to bet it cost SEVERAL billion by the time they dropped the axe on that turd
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 6:32:02 PM EDT by Stryfe]

Originally Posted By Dog1:

Originally Posted By Stryfe:

Didn't we try that once?

Running Man?

Older...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:50:08 PM EDT
One of my teachers works for Bell and helped get that thing together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:13:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:

Pretty quick turnaround.

The comanchee? The program had been running since 83, i'm willing to bet it cost SEVERAL billion by the time they dropped the axe on that turd

No, I'm asking about the Navy's A-12 "flying doritio."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:38:43 PM EDT

No, I'm asking about the Navy's A-12 "flying doritio."

Ask one of the McBoeing guys here on the boards, they have good info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:52:31 PM EDT
Folding fin rockets givve me a hard-on!..... Sweet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:21 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:57:28 PM EDT
TAG.

-K
Top Top