Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:29 AM EDT
Probably the biggest factor, besides preparation, in successfully surviving a SHTF situation is time. The more lead time you have, the more time to assess, notify, move out, etc.

I used to think that if I followed world events closely, clues would present themselves. After 9/11, that's obviously not always the case.

Do you guys have anything you follow as an indicator of possible SHTF? Some pre-set event, which if it occurs, it's time to move? Or is it play it by ear?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:36 AM EDT
If all the animals are running/flying in one direction.

Follow them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:50:47 AM EDT
If I see the grocery store is out of TP, I make plans to head for the hills.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:51:13 AM EDT
Appearance - you should be profiling everyone who is a possible threat.

Sound - just like you do every day. If you hear screeching tires, you brace yourself and check your mirrors if you're driving (side note: I HATE it when radio commercials have screeching tires in them... It should be illegal!)

Information - keep up on current events. Just ensure you don't get too wrapped up in it... I don't know about you but I prefer to reduce my anxiety levels, not increase them!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:51:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TodaysTomSawyer:
Probably the biggest factor, besides preparation, in successfully surviving a SHTF situation is time. The more lead time you have, the more time to assess, notify, move out, etc.

I used to think that if I followed world events closely, clues would present themselves. After 9/11, that's obviously not always the case.

Do you guys have anything you follow as an indicator of possible SHTF? Some pre-set event, which if it occurs, it's time to move? Or is it play it by ear?

there are clues just a few miles north of what may happen here!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=443424

I am following all that is happening up north closely
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:25:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
I don't know about you but I prefer to reduce my anxiety levels, not increase them!

I hear ya!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:29:11 AM EDT
When a "Rent-a-Center" and/or "Checks Cashed" establishment opens up in my neighborhhood.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:30:12 AM EDT
arfcom offline
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:31:20 AM EDT
I pretty much rely on the shape, color and odor of my morning stool to determine what the day will bring. Supprisingly it's been pretty accurate at predicting catastrophies across the globe and local weather.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:34:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jj01:
I pretty much rely on the shape, color and odor of my morning stool to determine what the day will bring. Supprisingly it's been pretty accurate at predicting catastrophies across the globe and local weather.

Just as long as you don't include taste...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:34:54 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:36:03 AM EDT

Well then, keep us posted, but DO NOT POST PICS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:38:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:
arfcom offline

+1

And Smurfs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
RFID chips
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:44:19 AM EDT
The economy. Period.
S will HTF with regards to the economic mess we are making for ourselves. Prepare for that.

Other than that there are some natural disasters which could occur very rapidly and without warning.

asteroid strike
large volcanic eruptions including the Yellowstone Caldera
Some event that alters ocean currents thereby effecting climate around the world

Smaller scale: Earthquake, hurricane, Tsunami
Depending of course on where you live.

And the ubiquitous Nuclear War
Or even large scale conventional war, ie WWIII, which I expect to occur around the time the bottom falls out fo the US economy.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:45:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Or even large scale conventional war, ie WWIII, which I expect to occur around the time the bottom falls out fo the US economy.

Sweet! We're gona go like Roma did and take every one with us, even if we don't mean to!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
If Jack Bauer turns and kisses Tony in the next episode, the S will HTF.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:47:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 9:48:27 AM EDT by st0newall]
new years eve 2012..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:49:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By st0newall:
new years eve 2012..

Ooooh, but you can't talk about it! Just allude to it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT

Sweet! We're gona go like Roma did and take every one with us, even if we don't mean to!

There do seem to be an awful lot of similarities between us and Rome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By st0newall:
new years eve 2012..

Ooooh, but you can't talk about it! Just allude to it!

indeed....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:53:17 AM EDT

Pop it out your pooper but don't post pics?
pioypbdpp? Not nearly as good an acronym as Siihpapp.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:30 AM EDT

The economy. Period.
S will HTF with regards to the economic mess we are making for ourselves. Prepare for that.

Other than that there are some natural disasters which could occur very rapidly and without warning.

asteroid strike
large volcanic eruptions including the Yellowstone Caldera
Some event that alters ocean currents thereby effecting climate around the world

Smaller scale: Earthquake, hurricane, Tsunami
Depending of course on where you live.

+1 Predicting the economy is difficult business. I look for foreign governments moving away from US treasuries, baby boomers withdrawing from their 401ks, housing prices and interest rates, and the security of the oil supply.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:03:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By No_Serfing:

The economy. Period.

+1 Predicting the economy is difficult business. I look for foreign governments moving away from US treasuries, baby boomers withdrawing from their 401ks, housing prices and interest rates, and the security of the oil supply.

Other than the standard breakout of war or a natural disaster, we may not notice an economic SHTF until a few days after it has started. Perhaps I should start seriously browsing the survivalist forums.....

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:04:41 AM EDT

Do you guys have anything you follow as an indicator of possible SHTF?

Democrats.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:06:39 AM EDT

Na...our plumbing is better. Plus they wont let us through people to the lions anymore. Then there is the hole crusifiction thing. I can think of a few people I can do that too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:19:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toqueville:

The economy. Period.

Other than the standard breakout of war or a natural disaster, we may not notice an economic SHTF until a few days after it has started. Perhaps I should start seriously browsing the survivalist forums.....

Perhaps you should pay attn.

The long term warning signs are there. Watch for the shorter term stuff. Now there are plenty here who claim to know far more about economics than I who say I am full of it. However, I do not see that what we are doing is sustainable. Further, the longer it takes, the worse it is going to be IMO. The politicians could solve this problem (more easily 10, 20, 40 years ago) but they are more intent on holding power than what is best for this nation's future.

Additionally, there is always the possibility of another WTC Attack type event that could cause the economy great short term harm. Such events as these ARE unpredictable.

As for the Survival Forum, everyone should spend more time there, incl me. It is the best forum on ARFCOM and the most useful.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:21:08 AM EDT

This mornings stool was a bit disconcerting, it indicated that we should "beware the Ides of march". Also, I made note that it was in the shape of Iran... On a brighter note, local weather will be sunny with a high temp of 45.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:23:28 AM EDT

The economy. Period.

The long term warning signs are there. Watch for the shorter term stuff. Now there are plenty here who claim to know far more about economics than I who say I am full of it. However, I do not see that what we are doing is sustainable. Further, the longer it takes, the worse it is going to be IMO. The politicians could solve this problem (more easily 10, 20, 40 years ago) but they are more intent on holding power than what is best for this nation's future.

Additionally, there is always the possibility of another WTC Attack type event that could cause the economy great short term harm. Such events as these ARE unpredictable.

As for the Survival Forum, everyone should spend more time there, incl me. It is the best forum on ARFCOM and the most useful.

In all honesty, listen to what doc says...he's full of wisdom, I'm just full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:38:22 AM EDT

The long term warning signs are there. Watch for the shorter term stuff. Now there are plenty here who claim to know far more about economics than I who say I am full of it. However, I do not see that what we are doing is sustainable.

I completely agree about things being unsustainable. Worse, is the fact that over the decades the methods of forecasting or reporting have changed. Things are left out or things are modified to influence what the desired effect is to be. Making hamburgers can be considered manufacturing - yeah, right. And there's no inflation when you factor out fuel, food, and housing costs

If, or should I say when, consumer spending in the U.S. falls off, that may be your economic SHTF. We as a nation have been on a debt ride for quite some time - other countries love that, as we are the primary market for their goods. But if we stop buying, the music's over for everyone. Only this time, there may not be any chairs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:40:05 AM EDT
People caused -

I work at Disneyland part-time. Clearly this is a terrorist target and knowing the guys in the Intel area of Security and who they are in contact with, any significant upgrading of the security posture.

I'ld look at security posture in Ports of Los Anglels/Long Beach. I participate in an Amateur Radio group that supports the county Emergency Medical System and have drilled with the National Disaster Medical System assisting in casualty flow into or out of Southern California. I kind of expect that some of us are on a warning/watch list for early activation. So any significant upgrade of security or readiness postures there.

Any of a variety of events that might trigger large scale or directed violent political or criminal activities. Orange County has large numbers of illegal aliens, many legal Hispanics, a fairly good sized population of Moslems, a large population of mostly Vietnamese southeast Asians. While our city is pretty benign, Ma Danby works as a chilluns librarian in a section of Garden Grove, that has a high percentagae of immigrants and normally commutes through what is lovingly refered to as "Little Gaza." In other words, more than usual caution is sometimes appropriate. A blow-up of illegal alien political tensions is the most likely political SHTF around here.

Southern California - Any swarm of seismic or volcanic activity that may indicate a significant event. Seismic activity is what we plan our SHTF preparations against. California east of the High Sierra, has some volcanic areas that are not dead yet, so volcanic activity is possible. Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta although in the other end of the state are still considered active volcanoes.

Luckily we don't have hurricanes or tornado threats to worry about, and a tsunami can't get to my place.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:00:20 AM EDT

The economy. Period.

In all honesty, listen to what doc says...he's full of wisdom, I'm just full of shit.

Yeah, but it sounds like everything is going to come out alright!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:01:32 AM EDT

The long term warning signs are there. Watch for the shorter term stuff. Now there are plenty here who claim to know far more about economics than I who say I am full of it. However, I do not see that what we are doing is sustainable.

I completely agree about things being unsustainable. Worse, is the fact that over the decades the methods of forecasting or reporting have changed. Things are left out or things are modified to influence what the desired effect is to be. Making hamburgers can be considered manufacturing - yeah, right. And there's no inflation when you factor out fuel, food, and housing costs

Yeah, isn't that something?

If, or should I say when, consumer spending in the U.S. falls off, that may be your economic SHTF. We as a nation have been on a debt ride for quite some time - other countries love that, as we are the primary market for their goods. But if we stop buying, the music's over for everyone. Only this time, there may not be any chairs.

Exactly. Make sure you have a chair.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:08:26 AM EDT
I think a thing to watch is "stupid tricks of your local big city government".

IE, mishandling of riots/demonstrations/street parties eg Los Angeles, Seattle,
Fumbling response to Hurricanes/natural disasters eg New Orleans,
Bad local laws and zoning rules eg COA in King County, misuse of Eminent Domain
Political correctness run amuck...

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:09:55 AM EDT
On the Terrorism front we have a lot of "trouble indicators" coming up. #1 I dont know if people notice this but everytime the Top al-queda in Pakistan (yes that is where they are) release a tape there is a small lag time and then something bad happens. Osama released a tape and then the "cartoon Jihad" happened. In August Zawahiri made a tape And the "french youth uprising" happened. Zawahiri JUST released a tape 4 days ago, while the Riots have still not calmed down totally. In this particular tape he said that "US homeland targets" should be hit. Look in the next two weeks for something to happen. Also Iran is about to get the Bomb, Isreal will have to act sometime real soon. Some place the time frame in March - June. This will get really hairy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:12:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 11:13:38 AM EDT by Greenhorn]
Soccer games and rock concerts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:14:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:
On the Terrorism front we have a lot of "trouble indicators" coming up. #1 I dont know if people notice this but everytime the Top al-queda in Pakistan (yes that is where they are) release a tape there is a small lag time and then something bad happens. Osama released a tape and then the "cartoon Jihad" happened. In August Zawahiri made a tape And the "french youth uprising" happened. Zawahiri JUST released a tape 4 days ago, while the Riots have still not calmed down totally. In this particular tape he said that "US homeland targets" should be hit. Look in the next two weeks for something to happen. Also Iran is about to get the Bomb, Isreal will have to act sometime real soon. Some place the time frame in March - June. This will get really hairy.

Want to pick your brain a bit.

I figured the US would be hit in early February because of the Zawahiri and bin Laden tapes released in late January. Nothing happened in the US other than one misguided pothead attempting to squash some infidels in NC...

Are you thinking this last tape is the big indicator...? I do note he said that they should hit us in the US...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:15:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By t-stox:

Right, and if the bird flu thing takes off then you're going to have to have a world war just to get people to come out of their houses.
The world is fraught with danger these days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:18:33 AM EDT

arfcom offline

Agree totally!

I start loading magazines and unloading clips.

The first sign of the Marxist takeover of America will be a take over of the media, including AR-15.com.

In a boiling frog move, look how many office firewalls block our freedom of speech.

"John has a long mustache."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT

Sound - just like you do every day. If you hear screeching tires, you brace yourself and check your mirrors if you're driving (side note: I HATE it when radio commercials have screeching tires in them... It should be illegal!)

Information - keep up on current events. Just ensure you don't get too wrapped up in it... I don't know about you but I prefer to reduce my anxiety levels, not increase them!

That will get you killed, the worse people are pros at looking nice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:24:14 AM EDT

Yes and no. Rome's economy was almost completely dependent on slave labor. This kind of undermined homeland defense when the economic engine walked out on them to join the invading barbarians.

200 years before Rome fell, it outsourced it's military to the Germans and "demilitarized" the Italian penisula. Romans, who once had a proud tradition of citizen soldiers, were barred from bearing arms in Italy. When the field armies were routed, there was nothing left to defend Italy with. We might eventually get there, but not in our lifetimes I don't think.

Rome was also wracked with civil war after civil war and one succession crisis after another. We've been spared this, although trends don't look good with the rhetoric coming from the democratic side of the fence (fuck em though, we have the guns).

I agree with your assessment about the economy, however. We've built a house of cards, and the rest of the world has built on top of us. Eventually our house of cards is going to come tumbling down. The US will see a long period of negative economic growth and lower standards of living. The rest of the world will see a near apocalypse. They depend on US spending to an ungodly degree. Why do you think Japan has been buying US t-bills? They are underwriting the debt that is underwriting our consumption that is propping up their economy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:27:37 AM EDT
I watch the cartoons in the funnies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:28:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By slaughter:

That will get you killed, the worse people are pros at looking nice.

Note that "EVERYONE" is in italics. I am not excluding anyone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:32:43 AM EDT
When Dick Cheney says "Iran will not be allowed to have nuclear weapons."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:33:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silesius:
I watch the cartoons in the funnies.

___

Better than that...though certainly not indicators...the folks in the Survival Forum pre-occupying their apparently over-taxed minds trying to corelate current events with their notions of the "end-days"!

On a slow day I'll snack from a bag of popcorn when I drop in on that forum...like anybody needs more "corn" after reading some of those red-neck threads!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:39:30 AM EDT
The dead, walking the earth.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:51:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Drakich:

Yes and no. Rome's economy was almost completely dependent on slave labor. This kind of undermined homeland defense when the economic engine walked out on them to join the invading barbarians.

200 years before Rome fell, it outsourced it's military to the Germans and "demilitarized" the Italian penisula. Romans, who once had a proud tradition of citizen soldiers, were barred from bearing arms in Italy. When the field armies were routed, there was nothing left to defend Italy with. We might eventually get there, but not in our lifetimes I don't think.

Rome was also wracked with civil war after civil war and one succession crisis after another. We've been spared this, although trends don't look good with the rhetoric coming from the democratic side of the fence (fuck em though, we have the guns).

I agree with your assessment about the economy, however. We've built a house of cards, and the rest of the world has built on top of us. Eventually our house of cards is going to come tumbling down. The US will see a long period of negative economic growth and lower standards of living. The rest of the world will see a near apocalypse. They depend on US spending to an ungodly degree. Why do you think Japan has been buying US t-bills? They are underwriting the debt that is underwriting our consumption that is propping up their economy.

Clearly the push is on to disarm us.
They also had large influxes of foreign peoples
overextended economically
large nonworking class
lack and/or loss of morality with selfishness and self indulgence becoming the rule

As for slavery, that was more secondary to the level of technology though other reasons were apparent.

These are the things I was primarily speaking of. Rome began as a Republic based on strength. Their people were strong. They had some freedoms. Similar to us in many ways. They went down a similar path. Not sure if we are going last as long as they, and while I do not predict our downfall in the near future there are clearly some rough times ahead. Our major mistake is listening to those who wish to take us down the path of socialism which will inevitably result in fascism. Both of these ideologies have been proliferating in parallel fashion over the past century. And yes, I do believe there are some who have grasped power with the clear intent of undermining our freedoms and destroying this country. They do well at herding the Sheep however, as always.

(fuck em though, we have the guns).

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
If Vic Mackey goes to jail or is killed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 1:07:38 PM EDT by Stlkid]

Information - keep up on current events. Just ensure you don't get too wrapped up in it... I don't know about you but I prefer to reduce my anxiety levels, not increase them!quote]

I agree, sirens should also be illiegal to play on the radio
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:08:22 PM EDT
An NBC attack on US soil, and the fear of social unrest leading to martial law.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:27:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-CQBR:
An NBC attack on US soil, and the fear of social unrest leading to martial law.

If it comes to that all bets are off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top