Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
$87 an hour

+1.

-James
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
My girlfriend watches my nieces two days a week (16 hours total) and she gets $130
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be happy if I could just find a babysitter.  I guess teens don't need to make extra cash anymore.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever it takes!

How awful are the kids? Will the sitter be changing diapers or cooking/serving a meal?

Since we are geographically close, I'll give you my present rate. We have a gem of a college age girl who keeps our four (well-behaved) ruffians on Wednesday afternoons. And depending on my perception of the children's behavior at the moment, I pay her anywhere from $6-8 an hour.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
My 13 year old gets $8.00 an hour for the 2 neighbor kids. $7.00 if only one kid.

Now, I pay my 13 yo, $0 an hour and just deduct $$ from the ol cell phone bill! She seems to be OK with that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd be happy if I could just find a babysitter.  I guess teens don't need to make extra cash anymore.  [/quote

Thats because more mommys and daddys spoil their little kids these days.  I had to start working at about 10 (mowing lawns) for cash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's someone you'll want to use in the future and maybe on short notice pay them well.  $10/hour.

My wife and I don't get to go out much because of our two boys, $40-$50 for babysitting once in a while, and having the peace of mind that the kids are with a good person is well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Fifty cents an hour; plus you get to raid the refrigerator.

Oops. That was  1959.

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
This is my step-daughters first time to babysit. Two good kids one 5 the other 9.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I force my 16 y/o to babysit the younger kids for free.

But I'd expect to pay about $7 an hour maybe more depending on how many kids were to be watched. (We have a whole bunch of 'em.)

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
For $7 an hour I expect the girl to drive herself here and interact with our kids (two: ages 2 and 4).  If we are late, or are asking her to change plans, or want babysitting on an important day, she knows I throw in a little extra.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd be happy if I could just find a babysitter.  I guess teens don't need to make extra cash anymore.  

No SHIT!!!!
Bama, last one I had (6 months ago) was a friend of the nephew's (I was in a show and the entire family was going). I paid the kid 40.00 for nearly 6 hours. I heard no negative feedback, so there ya go.

ETA: Step daughter????
Frikkin FREE!!!!!
Seriously! If you wanna show her you appreciate it, fine, throw her some cash, but I would NOT make a habit of paying her for pulling her weight within the family. Some things are simply part and parcel of being a member of the family, IMHO.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No SHIT!!!!
Bama, last one I had (6 months ago) was a friend of the nephew's (I was in a show and the entire family was going). I paid the kid 40.00 for nearly 6 hours. I heard no negative feedback, so there ya go.

Frikkin FREE!!!!!
Seriously! If you wanna show her you appreciate it, fine, throw her some cash, but I would NOT make a habit of paying her for pulling her weight within the family. Some things are simply part and parcel of being a member of the family, IMHO.
YMMV

This is for a friend of the family. Not for us.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
The local 4H group offers babysitting classes which both my oldest girls attended. That led to lotso sitting jobs.
CH
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fifty cents an hour; plus you get to raid the refrigerator.

Oops. That was  1959.

Nevermind.

This place is lousy with thieves.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#18]
My girlfriend is a "Nanny" for a family and does random sitting on the weekends.  

For the Nanny job she makes about $25K a year, or around $12.50/hour.

For the weekend sitting jobs where she has to pull overnights (parents leave town and leave the kids at home) she makes about $10/hour.  If she's there at 5pm friday till 5pm saturday she'll bring back $240 cash.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#19]
We pay $8/hr to have a "responsible" teenager watch our two girls.  She does great with the kids and I trust her as long as she doesn't have to drive.  She backed over our shrubs the last time she was here.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Good Lord I can't believe what you all pay for baby sitters.  I would pay a kid 3 bucks an hour for watching the kids and I tip them if they clean up a bit.  Size of tip depends on how much they clean up.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#21]
High school kids would love to get 8 bucks an hour. Better than the $5.15 they are making at the grocery store or wherever they work. But, if you don't trust youngsters with your kids, you might be look at closer to 15 with someone older. Depends on your area though, also. I will babysit anyone's kids for ammo. My going rate is fifty rounds per hour.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the age of the kid.

I used to babysit... I would get $8 an hour, $10 an hour if I had to stay past 9pm.

College kids should get atleast $10, high schoolers $8. imo
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends how good looking she is what she is willing do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No SHIT!!!!

Frikkin FREE!!!!!
YMMV

This is for a friend of the family. Not for us.

OOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!
Two kids, $6.00- $7.00/hr. Seems VERY fair. Sheesh. My first job in 1982 paid 3.35/hr and I had to ask if they wanted fries with their order.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top