Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 9:03:21 PM EDT
Suspects in custody after mosque violence
Five persons were remanded in custody on Monday, charged with bodily harm in connection with assaults carried out at the Central Jamat-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat mosque in Oslo on Friday.
www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1241622.ece
Chief Kåre Stølen at Grønland police station said that a sixth person, known by name, was being sought and that they hoped to make an arrest on Monday.

"The charges are serious. A knife was used during the incident at the mosque and one of the victims has been in a ventilator after the drama," Stølen said.

According to Stølen police have the names of about 40 persons who were in on by the mosque when violence broke out on Friday. A total of six were injured when men carrying knives and bats stormed the mosque in downtown Oslo's Grønland district during Friday prayers.

A member of Oslo city council, Labor politician Khalid Mahmood, was an eyewitness to the bloody battle, which
Stølen believes is part of an internal feud in the mosque's community.

Mahmood said that it was only chance that no one was killed when the mosque was stormed, with men hacking wildly around with knives.

Mahmood told newspaper VG that the mosque has for years had internal squabbling that has resulted in lawsuits. The strife is said to due to a conflict between several clans who want to administer the finances of the organization, which has about 6,000 members.

Lieutenant Erik Andersen of the Oslo police has been trying to negotiate peace at five of Oslo's mosques for the past two years. One of his assignments has been trying to calm the feud at the Jamat-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat mosque, newspaper Dagbladet reports.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a pity they dont all kill each other.

In the Czech Republic, a tv crew infiltrated a mosque, recorded what the imam preached, then aired it on tv.  The 'Slims aren't happy about the cat being let out of the bag.

Ambassadors to the Czech Republic from Arab nations and members of the Czech Muslim community say they are outraged by a documentary aired on CTV last fall that used hidden camera footage of conversations in a Prague mosque and spliced it — they say unfairly — with images of terrorism.

“The reaction is usually immediate, while in this case it took a month for any reaction to appear and two months for it to grow,” says Jiri Ovecka, the documentary’s producer. “It was the same with the Muhammad cartoons.” ...

The Council of Arabic Ambassadors to Prague is now renewing its protest about the undercover footage first aired Oct. 7 in the documentary I, Muslim on the public station CT2. Members of the Muslim community first filed a complaint with the Czech Radio and Television Broadcasting Council (RRTV) that month, claiming the program is biased, provokes fear and manipulates footage to promote false stereotypes.

“It was made in a confrontational style,” says Vladimir Sanka, head of the Islamic Center in Prague. “We see it as a one-sided documentary, which evokes a distorted look at Islam in the eyes of the Czech public.”

RRTV spokesman Petr Bartos says the complaint is on the RRTV’s agenda, but it has yet to debate the issue. If found guilty, CTV would face a fine of up to 10 million Kc ($416,000). CTV declined to comment, saying it is waiting for the RRTV to rule.

Hidden feelings

The footage in I, Muslim shows a reporter pretending to be someone interested in converting to Islam. He conducts several conversations with members of the mosque, located in Czerny Most, about Islam, Europe, terrorism and the role of women.

Ovecka says he stands behind his choice to use the hidden camera footage. “I wanted to get real opinions of the local Muslim community on the issue — find out what the differences are between Czech and foreign Islam,” he says.

One Muslim in the documentary compares Islamic terrorists to Jan Palach, the Czech student who committed suicide by setting himself on fire in protest of the 1968 Soviet-led invasion of Czechoslovakia. Another says Islamic law should be implemented in the Czech Republic, including the death penalty for adultery, Ovecka says.

“I have to say with 100 percent certainty that by using hidden camera I have learned things that I would never have learned otherwise,” he says. “The result was alarming, and if not for the hidden camera, I would have never had any of this footage.”

www.praguepost.com/P03/2006/Art/0302/news2.php
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]

the death penalty for adultery

Yup, I'm sure that will go over REALLLY well
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever i hear about "what ordinary Muslims think" i am always reminded of that Movie "mars attacks" where they kept on saying "we come in peace", And all the new age-flakes buy into it, Then they burn them again. Then finally as they go around blasting everyone in the streets while they have a speaker saying "stop, we are your friends, don't run".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top