Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
Good kid, but I'm at a loss as to what to write. "John is a bright, courteous, active and athletic young man who makes considered decisions" is about as far as I've gotten.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Good kid, but I'm at a loss as to what to write. "John is a bright, courteous, active and athletic young man who makes considered decisions" is about as far as I've gotten.

That's a good thesis statement, now expand on how he exemplifies those qualities.  Give specific examples if you feel it is necessary.  That sentence should be a 1 line summary of the whole letter, now just flesh it out.

John displays his brightness with _______

and so on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been sitting here for about an hour and not making much progress. This is what I've got so far:  

John ******* is seeking an appointment to the Air Force Academy, and I am writing to recommend him to you. I have known John and his family well for about a decade. John is an exceptional student and athlete who thrives on challenges. He is quick-witted, courteous, outgoing and active. He has a broad perspective, and a quiet and observant manner conducive to making thoughtful decisions. I have never known him to be less than conscientious and principled.

ETA I can't seem to come up with anything that doesn't sound hokey. He's a good, polite kid. I ski with him and can hardly keep him in sight. He comes from a good family, yada, yada, yada.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I spit and don't swallow
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I would just try and think of any specific examples that show the qualities the kid has.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
write the truth...without overly being too colorful
Because they will see the  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
You, sir, have obviously never written an NCOER  

the armed forces love numbers....The more percentage oriented the better.

___ Graduated in the top % of his class.

____ participated in _____ club, distinguishing himself from _____# other club members
by______

______ won _____award, chosen from a field of _______# competetive candidates.

_____ won ____ awards over the course of his school term.

I have known _______ for a period of _____ years.  During this time he has demonstrated
his integrety on a number of occasions, distinguishing himself from his peers as evidenced by (incidents).

During the time I have known him, ____ has excelled at a level greater than his peers in the
area of contientious decision makeing as evidenced by (incidents)

Give ya some ideas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top