Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
Good kid, but I'm at a loss as to what to write. "John is a bright, courteous, active and athletic young man who makes considered decisions" is about as far as I've gotten.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rodent:
Good kid, but I'm at a loss as to what to write. "John is a bright, courteous, active and athletic young man who makes considered decisions" is about as far as I've gotten.

That's a good thesis statement, now expand on how he exemplifies those qualities. Give specific examples if you feel it is necessary. That sentence should be a 1 line summary of the whole letter, now just flesh it out.

John displays his brightness with _______

and so on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:11:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT by Rodent]
I've been sitting here for about an hour and not making much progress. This is what I've got so far:

John ******* is seeking an appointment to the Air Force Academy, and I am writing to recommend him to you. I have known John and his family well for about a decade. John is an exceptional student and athlete who thrives on challenges. He is quick-witted, courteous, outgoing and active. He has a broad perspective, and a quiet and observant manner conducive to making thoughtful decisions. I have never known him to be less than conscientious and principled.

ETA I can't seem to come up with anything that doesn't sound hokey. He's a good, polite kid. I ski with him and can hardly keep him in sight. He comes from a good family, yada, yada, yada.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:12:17 PM EDT
I spit and don't swallow
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
Yeah I would just try and think of any specific examples that show the qualities the kid has.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:19:12 PM EDT
write the truth...without overly being too colorful
Because they will see the
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:04 PM EDT
You, sir, have obviously never written an NCOER

the armed forces love numbers....The more percentage oriented the better.

___ Graduated in the top % of his class.

____ participated in _____ club, distinguishing himself from _____# other club members
by______

______ won _____award, chosen from a field of _______# competetive candidates.

_____ won ____ awards over the course of his school term.

I have known _______ for a period of _____ years. During this time he has demonstrated
his integrety on a number of occasions, distinguishing himself from his peers as evidenced by (incidents).

During the time I have known him, ____ has excelled at a level greater than his peers in the
area of contientious decision makeing as evidenced by (incidents)

Give ya some ideas?
Top Top