Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 12:32:56 PM EDT
OK, so I am planning on buying a work bench to do builds and whatnot on. I am planning on buying a workbench b/c I cannot build ANYTHING out of wood. I am fine with metal products, but I haven't built anything with wood since 7th grade when I failed b/c I couldn't build anything to save my life. So anyways, where is a good place to pick up a workbench? anone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
You could try and see if you can locate one of those older heavy wooden school teacher's desks with the thick wooden top. Call around to some of the schools. They may have a few in storage that they'd sell cheap to make room for newer ones they have added to their inventory.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 12:44:57 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Buy 2 cabinets. Home Depot has some nice ones, you can select drawers, bins, etc...

Buy a piece of plywood (this goes under the countertop to make it thicker/heavier)

Buy a piece of kitchen countertop with a rear lip

Buy a piece of pegboard (mount on wall behind the bench)

Buy some 2x2 furring strips. (standoff so the pegboard works)

Layout the cabinets to the ends of the countertop length (this leaves a area between them for your feet). Cut the plywood to fit under the countertop. Mount the counter top on the cabinets. Mount the furring strips & pegboard on the wall behind.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:46:59 PM EDT
www.bobvila.com/ProductServices/SmartBuys/SmartDirectory/Tools-HandToolsCarpentry-WorkBenches_and_Accessories-1.html

No i'm not kidding.

Get the back-wall for the work bench. Your local Sears will serve you well.

Get a medium sized American-made steel vise and mount it to the workbench.
That's a good start since your wood-working-fu is weak.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:48:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Buy 2 cabinets. Home Depot has some nice ones, you can select drawers, bins, etc...

Buy a piece of plywood (this goes under the countertop to make it thicker/heavier)

Buy a piece of kitchen countertop with a rear lip

Buy a piece of pegboard (mount on wall behind the bench)

Buy some 2x2 furring strips. (standoff so the pegboard works)

Layout the cabinets to the ends of the countertop length (this leaves a area between them for your feet). Cut the plywood to fit under the countertop. Mount the counter top on the cabinets. Mount the furring strips & pegboard on the wall behind.

Was thinking about doing this for a workbench but without the plywood. Does the added plywood really make a difference? (FWIW, I will be mounting a reloading press and vice to the bench).
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
Plans for a simple workbench at Lowes

They aren't hard to build. I designed my own but it's pretty basic. I used an old solid exterior door for my deck and 2x4 for the frame + 1 sheet of 3/4" board for the shelf. Total cost was about $60 and it took about 3 hours from start to finish.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 1:04:28 PM EDT by Chokey]
Some other ideas in other threads (I'm not saying dupe, these are just some other ideas).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442334

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442171
Top Top