Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Col Charlie Askins

"
In trying to think of a person who has been in more gunfights than anyone else that I am aware of, I thought of Col Charlie Askins who after numerous gunfights on the Mexico border said this in his book "Pistols and Revolvers": "The 9mm is my favorite loading for defensive use. There are 10 million infantrymen who fire the round either in pistol or submachinegun. It has been the death of more of the enemy than all of the other handgun loadings put together." Col. Askins goes on to say, "There is a tendency to disparage the the 9mm as a full bore, man size defensive caliber. This campaign to discredit this fine cartridge is hardly borne out by history. Designed in 1902, the 9mm has seen more action, been in at the kill on more occasions, and is today carried by more armies that all of the other military calibers put together."
It is interesting to note that Askins describes many of his fights as involving the .45 acp but a good many of his victories were achieved using the .38 Special. Go figure.
I also like what Ken Hackathorn in his "Tactical Advantage" article said a couple of years ago, "As a matter of fact, there is quite a bit of evidence around showing a superior 9mm round will often perform as well as, or better than, many popular .45 acp cartridges. Imagine that."
"
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
because EVERYONE who has ever been hit, or even LOOKED at a .45 has died!

every gun on earth can create survivable wounds

shot placement is key with ANY WEAPON
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whenever the neighborhood kids are playing in my yard I just shoot them in the asses w/ my 9mm.  It just leaves a welt and their parents get a big kick out of it...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a huge fan of the 9mm but it sure isn't a weak cartridge.

Unless i am mistaken, a  9mm is somewhere between a 38 spl +p and a 357 mag in muzzle energy.

Don't believe everything you hear or read.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been said that a 9mm is just a 45 set on stun...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Try telling 9mm is ineffective to all the allied troops killed by it doing World War Two. Wait, you can't, because you know why? That "wussy" round killed 'em.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Must've been a blank.

9mm a "pussy" round?  

Yeah, sometimes when I shoot field mice with it, they don't die right away.

John
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ill bet he held it against his side.

Of course a 9mm round gets all its speed 10 yards after it leaves the barrel.  

This is why he is still alive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In before the physics lessons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha!

I destroyed everyone's sarcasm detectors.

DESTROYED.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His name is Dick he owned the Sports Page in Granger IN

Dayum... I know that place! 216.223.162.33/onesite/Publishsite/index.cfm?client_id=sportspagebar

That's the place.

I hope the guy gets the help he needs.

To all you newbs FOAD!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd heard that 9mm rounds were being adopted for ear piercings. The story went something along the lines of the "standard piercing tool causes too much damage and pain". The new tool will utilize the 9mm round to alleviate this problem.

I think they are field testing on young new jersey males....I think I saw photos in a thread around here somewhere. The ghey'r than ghey thread... I don't know, maybe I'm nuts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
what were you going for when you posted this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The story, if true, proves nothing about the 9mm effectiveness. Sometimes that happens. Recently an officer at work with was hit by a ND from a .38(off duty carry weapon) . Was within a few feet it grazed the webbing of his hand, entered about 2 inches above his heart hit a rib(it did fracture it) followed it around the bullet stopped under his scapula(sp? a bone on the back side of his shoulder). They checked him out, nothing vital hit, removed the bullet stitched him up and he got sent home. Came up to the dispatch that same night and was talking to us.    All either of these incidents prove is not to shoot yourself or let dumbass friends play with your guns......

He was very lucky, the guy in your incident was very lucky. Someone was on their side. Even after knowing this I still won't feel undergunned with a .38 snubby nor a 9mm.

Here's a link to the story as it did actually happen.....
www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=16225083&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512588&rfi=8
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His name is Dick he owned the Sports Page in Granger IN

Dayum... I know that place! 216.223.162.33/onesite/Publishsite/index.cfm?client_id=sportspagebar

That's the place.

I hope the guy gets the help he needs.

To all you newbs FOAD!

Newbs?  FOAD?

TRG

He is calling us Newbies and wants us to Fuck Off And Die.

So what did you think we would say when you posted this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
what were you going for when you posted this?

I can only hope that he didn't do this intentionally. That would be excusable. If not, he's just evil.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
9mm tends to be pathetically underloaded, as is .45 ACP...
Personally, I don't think either one is suitable with out the use of at least +p ammo...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
The owner of a local outdoors/gunstore was shot in the head with a 9mm and he lived... The round didnt go deap enough into his head to penetrate his skull.

I realize its prolly 10000 to 1 that a 9mm round wont penetrate a vital like that but it did happen.

I doubt if many of the 9mm users here will believe it me though, after all its the internet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I shot a very large charging Brown Bear right in the forehead with a 9mm, it just deflected off, So I can believe it couldn't kill a man.

Fortunately I had my .45 with me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I shot a very large charging Brown Bear right in the forehead with a 9mm, it just deflected off, So I can believe it couldn't kill a man.

Did ya live?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did ya live?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Newbs?  FOAD?

TRG

Yep.  With only 15,000 posts, you are a newb.

Besides, you've actually shot animals with a 9mm and posted pics.

What do you know?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
A close friend of mine was once shot in the collarbone area with a 9mm - it didn't appear to have any trouble exiting through his shoulderblade - I've gotta call BS on this one as well...

9mm isn't exactly my 1st choice, but I don't feel undergunned when carrying one...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone got a link to the thread of the soldier in Iraq who was shot in the face with a 9mm and the bullet was stopped by his teeth?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'll be the 1st

I FULLY AGREE!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
A close friend of mine was once shot in the collarbone area with a 9mm - it didn't appear to have any trouble exiting through his shoulderblade - I've gotta call BS on this one as well...

9mm isn't exactly my 1st choice, but I don't feel undergunned when carrying one...

- georgestrings

Well why don't one of you BS callers call the bar and ask them if they know anything about it?

Wilson posted a link.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#33]
My guess it that he shot himself at an extreme angle and it traveled sideways between two ribs just under the skin.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Newbs?  FOAD?

TRG

Yep.  With only 15,000 posts, you are a newb.

Besides, you've actually shot animals with a 9mm and posted pics.

What do you know?

Exactly my point, OP.

TRG

I guess I wasn't talking about you TRG.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#37]
It's all about shot placement. Whether it's a .45 or a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Well why don't one of you BS callers call the bar and ask them if they know anything about it?

Wilson posted a link.

You are posting information about a 'friend of a friend'.  Like any other word-of-mouth story, it has serious holes in it.  Your own recounting of it indicates 4 possible bullet locations, from stuck in his ribs, to penetrating his chest.

Can you NOT see that your inconsistencies alone are enough to call BS?

As for calling the bar?  Why would we do that?  It is your cock-and-bull story, post some hard evidence.

TRG

No story, what is so hard to believe, people get shot and live every day.

I think the only ones calling BS are the 9mm lovers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#41]
#1 funnymans , under penetration , over penetration ......Lots of folks just dont like 9mm .

In an SOF from the late 70's there was an "instance" of a 9 bouncing off some Africans head .

Agian I'm sure it was some weird angle ....but maybe not ...a fluke .

Dont try that at home . the bruise on your head may be fatal !

Some people dont think M 193 will kill people either .

Stoked w/ hp's 9mm can be fearsome in wetlap tests .
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's all about shot placement. Whether it's a .45 or a 9mm.

yep
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- georgestrings

Wilson posted a link.

You are posting information about a 'friend of a friend'.  Like any other word-of-mouth story, it has serious holes in it.  Your own recounting of it indicates 4 possible bullet locations, from stuck in his ribs, to penetrating his chest.

Can you NOT see that your inconsistencies alone are enough to call BS?

As for calling the bar?  Why would we do that?  It is your cock-and-bull story, post some hard evidence.

TRG

No story, what is so hard to believe, people get shot and live every day.

I think the only ones calling BS are the 9mm lovers.

9mm lovers?

You mean 9mm USERS, right? I USE a 9mm, I kill with a 9mm, I autopsy my kills from the 9mm.  In ALL of my experience with the round, including mulitple wounds that broke bones, ribs, shoulders, necks I have never found a 9mm 'stuck' in an animals ribs.

Large Spike: Round entered right shoulder, broke shoulder, passed through ribs, entered chest, passed through chest (turning) exits left flank.

Large Buck (pictured above): Round entered left shoulder, broke left shouler, entered neck, broke spine, entered right shoulder, broke right shoulder, round recovered under skin on right shoulder

Large boar (pictured above): round entered center chest.  Hog dropped in his tracks.  No autoposy, but obvious destruction of pulminary system abd possibly CNS struck.

Large boar (not pictured): unknown round count (M16) hog ran 100 yards and expired.  No autopsy. Wounds indicated on surface of rounds passing through (all the way through) chest and lungs.  Aspiration (foaming) blood on exit side.

You can post anything you want, as can I, but mine are FIRSTHAND accounts of performance of the 9mm, not thirdhand 'friend-of-a-friend' BS.

TRG  

Well I guess he's lucky he didn't use an M16.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did ya live?

No....I died.
But I'm feeling much better now.......
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top