Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2006 11:23:19 PM EDT
I have owned my 2000 Honda Civic for 5 1/2 years and it is paid off.  My wife has a 04 Saturn Vue that she pays on i help sometimes.  My car is paid off and it use to be $275 a month.  I have been thinking of getting a truck but the 33mpgs and its a fun car to drive and its paid off puts money in my pocket.  Just need an opinion yes or no on getting a new car.  It only has 90K miles and still runs good.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
stay out of debt.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have owned my 2000 Honda Civic for 5 1/2 years and it is paid off.  My wife has a 04 Saturn Vue that she pays on i help sometimes.  My car is paid off and it use to be $275 a month.  I have been thinking of getting a truck but the 33mpgs and its a fun car to drive and its paid off puts money in my pocket.  Just need an opinion yes or no on getting a new car.  It only has 90K miles and still runs good.  

90K on a civic?? Its not even Mid Age yet!!

No car payments is a great thing... Question is WHY do you need a truck? because you are a contractor and have to carry tools? are you a musician and have lots of equipment to lug to gigs? Do you haul lots of stuff and NEED a truck?

Or do you just "WANT" one?

NEED is one thing and you have to bite the bullet. WANT is EVERY expensive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I never thought I would hear myself say something like this...Keep the Honda.  Its paid off, and you will never regret the good mileage it gets.  If you have to have a truck, just to haul light stuff, get an old S-10 or a Dakota (at least 10 years old), or a 2500 series diesel.  Those will be the only trucks you will get decent mileage on with a good price.  And if they are well taken care of, they will last you another 10 years easy.  The small trucks should be able to be had for under $5-6k, and the 2500 should be under $10k.

But being debt free is a wonderful thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a truck buy one, you are going to be in debt some way or another for the rest of you're
life . I would look at the new Toyota Tacomas, real nice
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
As much as I sometimes get that urge to go get a new one, my '02 Jeep will be paid off this fall. My S10 was bought with cash.

I think I am going to try and continue to practice restraint. I want to go without a car payment for awhile. Unless I start to get repair bills.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've often had the wandering eye.  I've got an F350 XLT supercab 4x4 paid off.   I wanted to go buy a new PSD version of the same thing.   Then reality kicks in and I go from no payments to $500+ per month payments and hell, that's a new rifle every other month!!  
60 payments = 30+ new rifles!!!!   Or 15 new rifles and freaking pallet loads of ammo.

I'm keeping my old truck

If you want a truck buy a nice cheap OLD one.    You could buy an old 70s Ford or Chevy that's carbeurated and no computers.   Nothing on it will be expensive to fix and they run forever if you use them for truck only duties.   Dont treat it as a daily driver, just use it when you need to and you only need liability insurance
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I would want to stay out of debt myself. . I used to have a civic and they are great point A to point B cars, reliability and economy can't be beat. At the time I also had an older Nissan 4x4 PU that was what I drove when I went hunting/fishing/to the Home Depot, etc. so I had options. I eventually sold both and got a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a 4 cyl. and that is all I have now, decent on gas and goes where I need it to.

Funny story, I went out to my dad's hunting club one night and was driving my Civic (The Nissan was at my house in another town but I went straight out there to save time plus the camp house wasn't far from the main road and it was a good dirt road). Anyway I pull up next to all the all the trucks and walk up to the fire around all the old rednecks. The first thing I hear from a guy's 12 year old son is:

Him- "Lance, who's little car is that ?"
Me- "It's mine"
Him- "Are you gay ? "

Talk about a hit to the ego and a laugh from everyone at my expense. I got the Toyota soon after that  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
My Accord is rolling fresh at 200K.

You can put another 110k miles on that Civic before it cost you a dime.  Just drive it into the dirt, and smile all the way to the bank.  Spend the money you save on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
save the money.

Cars are the worst investment you can make ever... just ask yourself, is getting a new car worth pissing your money away on?

If you are young, single, and want to bang hot girls, yes. Since you are married, save your money wisely and blow it on a sports car when you hit your midlife crisis.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
save the money.

Cars are the worst investment you can make ever... just ask yourself, is getting a new car worth pissing your money away on?

If you are young, single, and want to bang hot girls, yes. Since you are married, save your money wisely and blow it on a sports car when you hit your midlife crisis.

a car is not an investment at all. it's the single largest purchase that won't increase in value
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
a car is not an investment at all. it's the single largest purchase that won't increase in value

Unless you get yourself a supercar and manage to not crash it for 30+ years.

in the crazy 80s investment bankers and other agents of greed started started a informal supercar speculative market. Of course, after '89 things kind of went back to normal.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

90K on a civic?? Its not even Mid Age yet!!

No car payments is a great thing... Question is WHY do you need a truck? because you are a contractor and have to carry tools? are you a musician and have lots of equipment to lug to gigs? Do you haul lots of stuff and NEED a truck?

Or do you just "WANT" one?

NEED is one thing and you have to bite the bullet. WANT is EVERY expensive.

Trust me, I agree to the WANT portion here... I WANT my guns, and feeding them is always a problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Me- "It's mine"
Him- "Are you gay ? "

Talk about a hit to the ego and a laugh from everyone at my expense. I got the Toyota soon after that  

Toyota.... So you're gay right?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
my Civic CX is a'92 and still runs like a champ.  

I was paying 190/Month when i made payments.

I paid it off in 96.  

190 bucks more ammo in my AR a month, the way
I see it.

I hate car payments and will not buy another vehicle
until this one totally dies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:20:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you own or rent a house?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I live on base but if I did pay rent it would be about 800 a month with 150-200 for bills.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me- "It's mine"
Him- "Are you gay ? "

Toyota.... So you're gay right?  

Well I went from a Civic to a Tacoma so I guess only a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Want my honest opinion as a guy who loves horsepower? KEEP the Civic. take good care of it. It will be a very efficient daily driver for work/school. These are like the Glocks of cars. Just feed it gas, change the oil/ATF/coolant regularly and it will be happy.

My 2000 Crown Vic gets 12-13 mpg in the city, and 19-20 mpg on the highway cruising at 55 mph while drafting behind a semi hauler.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#19]
ill trade you, i will take your honda and you can have my truck with the payments.

i would kill for not having a truck payment.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

Yup.  If anything, get the new Civic.  My buddy from work got one and I'm very impressed.  I drive a new Infiniti and I think his car is pretty damn cool....cool enough that I think the features and design are cool enough that they should be in some lux cars.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
ill trade you, i will take your honda and you can have my truck with the payments.

i would kill for not having a truck payment.

+1.  I'm debating on sending Toyota $4,000 to just be done with it in three months.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want my honest opinion as a guy who loves horsepower? KEEP the Civic. take good care of it. It will be a very efficient daily driver for work/school. These are like the Glocks of cars. Just feed it gas, change the oil/ATF/coolant regularly and it will be happy.

My 2000 Crown Vic gets 12-13 mpg in the city, and 19-20 mpg on the highway cruising at 55 mph while drafting behind a semi hauler.

What the hell did you do to that CV???

My 93 Grand Marquis with 168K gets far better than that mileage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Let me see if I understand.

1.  Your car is not worn out or costing much to run.
2.  You are paying on your wife's car.
3.  You are already spending the equivalent on a car payment on other stuff.

You are in no position to assume other debt.  This is what you should do.

1.  Reduce your overall expenditures.
2.  Pay off your wife's car well ahead of schedule.
3.  Stop wasting money on unnecessary stuff.
4.  Save money so that when you have to buy a car, you can make a very large down payment or pay cash for all of it.

You are operating under some dangerous assumptions.

1.  That you will always be able to maintain your lifestyle using debt.
2.  That you will always be making the amount of money you are making now, or more.
3.  That you can control an ever increasing debt load.

Buddy, you are risking a very painful financial melt down.  Learn to be very wise with your money and modest in your wants.  It will pay huge dividends.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Well lets see I put 200 a month into savings, I have cable and cable internet my 2 necessities since I do my masters online.  I have little debt just in my wifes car no CC bills.  I am about to move again so that could be an issue.  Dont know where to yet,  Its up to the AF.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell did you do to that CV???

My 93 Grand Marquis with 168K gets far better than that mileage.

The 92-97 Panther models are significantly more aerodynamic, not to mention lighter (92-97 were about 3800 lb, 98-02 are 4100 lb, 03-up are 4300 lb) and you probably have a numerically lower rear axle ratio (2.73s? or maybe 3.27s?) coupled with the AOD transmission (2.40, 1.47, 1.00, 0.67 versus 2.84, 1.55, 1.00, 0.70 not that it matters much).

My 00 Vic has 3.55s in the back, with the 4R70W and weighs 4120 lb with 3-4 gallons of fuel in the tank race-ready w/ me in the seat, and has the aerodynamics of a Mac truck. I also do a lot of stop/go driving for my commute whereas some people's idea of "city" driving is cruising for several miles at 35-40 mph non-stop. It runs 14.8x-14.9x in the 1/4 mile tho
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:27:11 AM EDT
[#27]
My BAH is 1300 a month so I am losing money by living on base but the wife wanted to.  Not next time unless its overly expensive.

I am just thinking anyway I get that urge to do it everytime another troop of mine gets that sportcar or big truck that I envy.  I guess its a guy thing one of my troops (E-4) sent me an email with his new Mustang that he bought.  I dont want to know his payments but it just gets me thinking somethimes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

That pretty much sums it up nicely.

Keep that Honda until it absolutely refuses to go another mile.

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't buy a new truck.  Just keep your car and save money.  I bought a new cummins ram a year ago for my business.  My payment is 951 a month for 3 years.  I will drive the truck for 10 years and sell it with proably around 200k on it.  I'll proably sell it for 7-8k then.  That means the acctually truck only will cost me 2200 a year.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

Both cars run good, get good mileage. Save the same $$ you would be making in payments for what you do NEED a new car.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I am going to keep the honda the 8 hours of jealousy is now gone.  Just got my feb swat mag from my wife so I am happy and looking at what I need to do to get a 1-3 scope for my AR the horror but I love my guns.  

Went to USAA and added an extra $75.00 a month to my IRA so its maxed now.  yeah I want to have beer money when I retire.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you want a truck buy one, you are going to be in debt some way or another for the rest of you're

In a place where bad advice is rampant, this could be the worst I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#33]
re: Honda - drive it until the wheels fall off.

Change the oil on a regular basis, and fix minor things as they break.  Should last you several more years.  Save the $275 per month, build up a downpayment for your next car in 2010.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#34]
If you *really* want a truck and have a need for it here is what you do.  Save up the amount of money that you would normally have to pay for a truck payment ($400) or so.  End of the year go to a dealer and sell your Honda and use the saved up cash to buy a used Toyota Tacoma.  By fall people will be trading in their  '00-'03's for the newer models.  You may be able to get a good one for $9,000-$11,000.

Really the lesson I learned is that having car payment debt is just as bad- if not worse than credit card debt.  It was a hard lesson to learn.  I no longer see owning cars as a status symbol, now as a way to get from A to B.  I know more millionares who drive beat-up pickups.  Most of the BMW types I know have no net worth and are leveraged out of their ass.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#35]
We have a 2004 Civic.  Great car.  Owe 3800 bucks on it.  Have the money to pay it off, but our investments are making us more than the bank interest on the car.  

Making car payments sucks.  If the wife didn't love the car, I'd sell it and get another old beater.........but that's just me.  I would like to have the Civic replaced with an older car that I don't care if it gets scratched, somebody banging their door into it at the grocery store, etc.  

But she likes the car, we can afford it, it's safe, reliable, runs perfect, blah blah blah..............she loves the car, so it ain't going anywhere.

Keep the Civic and drive it into the ground.  The way these things hold up, you'll have the car a long long time and be money ahead in the end by keeping it.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would want to stay out of debt myself. . I used to have a civic and they are great point A to point B cars, reliability and economy can't be beat. At the time I also had an older Nissan 4x4 PU that was what I drove when I went hunting/fishing/to the Home Depot, etc. so I had options. I eventually sold both and got a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a 4 cyl. and that is all I have now, decent on gas and goes where I need it to.

Funny story, I went out to my dad's hunting club one night and was driving my Civic (The Nissan was at my house in another town but I went straight out there to save time plus the camp house wasn't far from the main road and it was a good dirt road). Anyway I pull up next to all the all the trucks and walk up to the fire around all the old rednecks. The first thing I hear from a guy's 12 year old son is:

Me- "It's mine"
Him- "Are you gay ? "

I just bought a Toyota Prius.  I also have an old F-150.
I usually drive the od F-150 to the firing range.
I was thinking that if I take the Prius I better put a "Ted Kennedy has KILLED more people with his CAR than I have with my GUNS" bumper sticker on it.
And then maybe just add a "I HATE EVERYBODY" bumper sticker underneath THAT one!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

+1

User it until it wears out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

+1

User it until it wears out.

It'll be awhile. I have a friend who logged 300k miles on his Civic. As long as you follow regular service intervals and keep an eye on everything, it'll last a long long time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

Best advice I have heard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#40]
What I'd recommend is take the money you'd be paying on a car note, and put it into savings.  If you can keep it up for four or five years you'll be able to buy a new car outright; and the nice thing is you can stop making "payments" if you need the money for some emergency.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Keep the Civic.  Buy a used truck.  They're cheap used.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Just paid off my wife's minivan with the tax refund check...Still haven't gotten the grin off my face yet

My daily driver is a Kia Sephia that used to be my wife's..I drive 30 miles to work each day..its paid for and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off...as gay as it is
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm in the same boat.  My 96 Civic still runs great, though it has always been loud and a bit of a rough ride.  I commute 80 miles a day.  It is paid off.  It still gets 40-42 MPG.

Oh, did I mention it has 230,000 miles on it, and the ORIGINAL clutch?

Still, I just wonder if/when it will break down on me and leave me stranded.  However, I trust it more than my wife's 2003 Suzuki Aerio with 72,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

+++++

Save your cash dude and get a really good emergency fund started so you won't have to use credit cards when something comes up.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey, you only go around once!!!!!

If it fits comfortably into your budget and your not selfishly depriving your family - do it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#46]
What you need to do is keep the Civic, save up a bit of cash (about $5k), and find you a used Toyota truck anywhere from mid '80's to early '90's.  This way you can actually use the truck without worrying about the first scratch.

This way you have no debt, but you have a truck and you can still drive the Civic when you need the good gas mileage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I was gonna vote another way, but considering military pay, forced moves etc. Just keep the car. More cars equal more trouble at PCS time.

Although I don't know what you mean by helping your wife with here car payments.................
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Went to USAA and added an extra $75.00 a month to my IRA so its maxed now.  yeah I want to have beer money when I retire.

Good move. Enjoy life now because you could be dead tomorrow but do plan seriously for the future.  

rj
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a place where bad advice is rampant, this could be the worst I've ever seen.

Hey I never claimed to be an expert I just figured if he's sick of driving what he has
then why not, and come on I 've given worst advice than this
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
stay out of debt.  

+1

Now pay off the wife's vehicle.

Build up your rainy day fun and laugh at all your friends who live paycheck to paycheck and have to keep working til they are 90

See Dave Ramsey.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top