Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:43 PM EDT
I just bought some acreage.  There is an old barn on the property.  Its 2 stories about 100x50 and in disrepair.  The roof is starting to cave in.  Its it worth fixing?  Will someone pay me for the old structure?

Another worry is that it will fall on someone and I would be liable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The old log barns sell for very good money around here.  Is it lumber or log?  Either way, advertise in the closest big city news paper classified ads.  It'll go quick.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
is it a timber frame barn? if it is, its probably worth to fix it up or use the timber in it for something else.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The old log barns sell for very good money around here.  Is it lumber or log?  Either way, advertise in the closest big city news paper classified ads.  It'll go quick.

Thats what I keep hearing.  Its a lumber barn and pretty large at that.  But again its kind of scary because its starting to cave in on itself.

ETA: I have never been inside so I dont know if its timber framed or not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one on my property just a tad smaller than yours. I keep it around for shtf firewood.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
is the wood any good, or is it termite chow?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Call up norm abrahms...he likes to make projects using old wood.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
you could do this to it, if you have the money.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to identify what kind of wood it is built out of. It may be worth a lot of money.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Go around and in it with a metal detector before you do anything else.  I had an old log barn on a place that I rented years ago.  It was pre civil war built.  I found a flintlock lock stuck between the logs but never poked around it as much as I wish I could have.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd keep it and bring it back up to code.  Yes, its one more thing to maintain, but you can also do a lot with it.  Storage, SHTF stuff or you can build an Arnold Schwartzenegger style gun room like from Commando.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
People that make high end furniture might be interested in the wood depending on the type, condition if you decide to tear it down.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
People will buy that barnwood for mantels and interior work.  
 If you have the 12" x 12" or larger beams, you may be able to sell that for some of those big homes high ceilings.  in 1976 I built a 22' x 25' barn out of 100 year old barn wood from two Amish barns the neighbors gave me.  The whole barn cost me $300. for hardware and tarpaper and it upped my property value by $10K.  
Salvage all you can and keep the barn door hardware...
It may not sell in farmland but it will in places that are booming like the western states.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, folks are paying top dollar for barnwood picture frames here in California.  I'm sure it is worth some cash to the right person.

+1 on the detector and don't forget to hit the ground inside/around it as well.

Eric  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Dismantle and keep the timber or sell it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top