Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
NO.  An Asshole is an asshole.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NO.  An Asshole is an asshole.

Exactly.  I do not accept a double standard.  Just like when the liberal large children say things such as "We don't believe in political assassination."  OK, Let me mention a name:  "Adolph Hitler."  No it's not different: if you're not an hypocrite, a life is a life and an asshole is an asshole.  If someone who made my life miserable dies, I just shrug and, yes, sometimes I will say "no great loss."
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

I've known some REAL assholes in my life, and right or wrong, when the fucksticks bought it (Some because they were STUPID assholes) I always thought "Good Riddance".

A dead asshole was still an asshole.

SG
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It kind of hard not to laugh.  After reading that I've been doodling figures getting fried by ladders hitting power lines.  I wish I could animate.  That would make a perfect old style Disney short.  Guy marches around his yard with a ladder.  Stops and whistles a tune, then marches into a powerline and the dog laughs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
No respect for assholes. Being dead just makes you a dead asshole.

But sometimes I feign sympathy just because it's inconvenient to show antipathy.

But only if it's with a group that I know won't exactly forget about what I said. Most of the time it's "one less asshole".
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you feel bad when an asshole dies?

nope

+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Not at all.  Although this is coming from a person who is commonly reffered to as the cold hearted bastard so.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Generally I just say something polite like "sorry to hear that" whether I like'd them or not.

But there was a case recently where a jerk of a co-worker died at home.  He drank and smoked heavily.  Exercise was walking to the fridge for another cold one.  56yrs old, died on the couch with the TV remote in his hand.  When one of the ladies in the work group he was in told me, I said "I'll bet they'll have to lay a couple drivers off at the beer distributer"  That went over like a lead balloon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a teacher like that. Lung cancer got him, and we didn't feel bad.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The real problem is your need to interject your feelings on those who are grieving… that is inexcusable bad manners.

It wasn't as if I was at the wake and erected banners telling the entire crowd what I thought of the guy.

It was a group of friends, someone mentioned the fact he was killed, and amongst the
"oh my god, really?" type comments, I gave my comment.  

Still bad manners and petty... better to say nothing.

Part of the problem in this society is everyone has become so self important they actually think people need to know their every opinion even in a situation where they should have the manners and tact to be quite.

Ding ding ding, we have a winna!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
All's well that ends well
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
So how is everyone gonna feel when Sarah Brady dies???

FREE
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Who?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
You can die now !
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Respect is something you earn, as far as your old teacher, he didnt earn any respect from you so I dont see that he deserves any from you.

Yeah, same here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Case in point:  1989.  My high school gym teacher.  
He was the football coach, and loved by all.  
I was not a jock.  Instead, I was a chess team / scholastic bowl nerd.
And he despised nerds.   He made my life rough.  
I had straight As that year, except for the C from him in PE.
I participated.  I did the best I could.  But because I wasn't an athelete, I got a C.
And a C in PE counts the same as a C in any other class.  

My freshman year of college, we learned the shocking news that he was carrying
an extension ladder around his house, and found the powerlines.  
Dead before he hit the ground.

This relates to grandparents of mine who I have hated for a LONG time, and the feeling
is mutual.  They are only getting older, and will probably kick off in a couple of years.
I've been told that because they are my grandparents, I should have "respect".
Again, WHY?

Sounds like the problem is with you. Everyone you might think badly of has family and people who love them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope

+1

+2
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sounds like the problem is with you. Everyone you might think badly of has family and people who love them.

Thats a liberal-assed statement if I've ever heard one.
You would have me take a bunch of crap from a guy, and feel bad when he croaks?
You sound like these war protesters who say we should have turned the
other cheek when the twin towers were destroyed.

Yea, right.  I'm gonna cry a river when Osama bin Laden gets owned because he has family.

Boo freak'in Hoo.

I had some residual feelings of resentment towards a jerk who went out of his way to step on the
"little guys" just so he could feel like a man, and I'm the one with the problem?  
My psychological diagnosis:  human.  Tell me you wouldn't be resentful.

So....  what exactly IS my problem?  

Am I at fault for speaking my peace to a bunch of friends?
Hell, why am I the one in the wrong here?
Aren't they just as "wrong" for saying good things about a guy who was such an ass?
Maybe they were offending me by praising a guy who hurt so many people.  

Yea, Maybe I did have a problem.  You know what,  I'm willing to live with it.  
I got therapy.  In the form of 120 volts.  And I'm cured.  Whew.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The real problem is your need to interject your feelings on those who are grieving… that is inexcusable bad manners.

It wasn't as if I was at the wake and erected banners telling the entire crowd what I thought of the guy.

It was a group of friends, someone mentioned the fact he was killed, and amongst the

Part of the problem in this society is everyone has become so self important they actually think people need to know their every opinion even in a situation where they should have the manners and tact to be quite.

Your point is well made and thanks for pointing that out. In fact, that's worth a whole other thread, but for the sake of not hijacking this one, no, I don't especially feel the need to sugarcoat an opinion of a recently departed asshole. I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, because even a real turd may have been a great father or sister, or grandson to someone who may hear your comment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I sure felt a lot safer after JFK jr.  lawn darted a valuable aeroplane.   I still morn that plane.

he would have sent me to prison for doing what Americans are supposed to do and owning guns.   One less threat to the security of this nations population as far as I'm concerned.   By the way, let's see some autopsy blood chemistry reports, real ones.

Seems like them kennedys have problems being around water.   Little wonder that drunk-teddy chooses to drink non-water.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#21]
As has already been said, nope.  Couldn't care less in the case of some folks.  Hell, as the saying goes, some folks are only a live cuz killin' 'em is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your point is well made and thanks for pointing that out. In fact, that's worth a whole other thread, but for the sake of not hijacking this one, no, I don't especially feel the need to sugarcoat an opinion of a recently departed asshole. I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, because even a real turd may have been a great father or sister, or grandson to someone who may hear your comment.

Look the guy is dead he ain't going to give a damn what you say... therefore the only thing you can do is open your big mouth a say something that might hurt an innocent party thereby making you the asshole.

Why do think expressing yourself when unnecessary is worth hurting someone that has not done a damn thing to you.

Only a self-important asshole feels the need to hurt someone who has done nothing to him when it is unnecessary and he can avoid it by keeping his mouth shut. If you don’t like someone that bad tell them when they are alive don’t inflict your bile after the fact on those that have done nothing to you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Case in point:  1989.  My high school gym teacher.  
He was the football coach, and loved by all.  
I was not a jock.  Instead, I was a chess team / scholastic bowl nerd.
And he despised nerds.   He made my life rough.  
I had straight As that year, except for the C from him in PE.
I participated.  I did the best I could.  But because I wasn't an athelete, I got a C.
And a C in PE counts the same as a C in any other class.  

My freshman year of college, we learned the shocking news that he was carrying
an extension ladder around his house, and found the powerlines.  
Dead before he hit the ground.

I heard about it while around a lot of other students from the same high school.
I muttered something about it not being a great loss.

A couple of girls started in on me about how I shouldn't say that "because he just died".

I said that the fact that he is dead doesn't change the fact he was an asshole when he was alive.

So am I supposed to show respect for someone simply because they died?
Am I supposed to somehow feel bad that they died?

This relates to grandparents of mine who I have hated for a LONG time, and the feeling
is mutual.  They are only getting older, and will probably kick off in a couple of years.
I've been told that because they are my grandparents, I should have "respect".
Again, WHY?

Your youth betrays you.  A  "C" and a rough time makes you rejoice over another's death? Wow.  

You came here seeking validation of your feelings, whether they are right or wrong.  No, it is not healthy to be happy at the death of another.  Should you be worried that you didn't mourn his death. No, just be a bit indifferent at worst.  

No matter how you feel about someone, someone else mourns them.  It is out of common decency that you keep your less than positive comments to yourself.  To do otherwise is to be selfish.  You couldn't stand the fact that others may mourn his death since you had a hard time, so you had to "mutter under your breath".  No, not an  accident and be honest with yourself. You wanted to be heard.

Hopefully, you will grow up and have some respect for others.   I hope you look back in 5 or 10 years and think, "Boy was I an ass".  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Usually I respond with a "mmhmm."

Lifes tough as it is, no need to make it any tougher.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Ah, NO. Had to think about it for a whole 1/4th of a second.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]
wait. . . did I miss something he's an asshole because he gave you a C in Gym.

I'd hate to see what you call somebody that actually wrongs you.

Personally, when someone I would really despise dies I don't even notice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I read that somewhere around 153,000 people die every day.

For most of them I don't care either way.  I don't know them, they for the most part had no influence on me.   That and it's part of the cycle of life.

For the ones I've loved and made my life better, I'll regret and feel bad at their passing.

For the ones I've disliked because they went out of their way to cause me grief... screw them.  I'm glad the assholes are gone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
For the life of me, I don't understand the mentality behind the whole situation. By most accounts, my grandfather was an absolute terror to my grandmother for years and yet when he's old and dies we're supposed to forget all about it and say how wonderful he was. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reminds me of a song:

You're a disgrace to the concept of family
The priest won't divulge that fact in his homily
and i'll stand up and scream if the mourning remain quiet.
you can deck out a lie in a suit but i won't buy it.
I won't join in the procession that's speaking their peace.
using five dollar words while praising his integrity.
and just cause he's gone it doesn't change the fact...
he was a bastard in life
thus a bastard in death.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look the guy is dead he ain't going to give a damn what you say... therefore the only thing you can do is open your big mouth a say something that might hurt an innocent party thereby making you the asshole.

Why do think expressing yourself when unnecessary is worth hurting someone that has not done a damn thing to you.

Only a self-important asshole feels the need to hurt someone who has done nothing to him when it is unnecessary and he can avoid it by keeping his mouth shut. If you don’t like someone that bad tell them when they are alive don’t inflict your bile after the fact on those that have done nothing to you.

Uh, yeah. I believe I had agreed with your points, but perhaps not as clearly as I should have?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope

+1

+2

+3

Just because someone is dead it doesn't make them a good person all of a sudden. It just makes them easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope. Dont feel bad.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope, I dont feel anything, I guess I dont really care bout emm.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#33]
While we're on the topic, has anyone EVER seen ANYTHING bad written about someone in the obituaries?  I sure as hell haven't.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I may not dance in the streets over an asshat's death, but I'm not above pissing on graves.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged....I'll reply later.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#36]
No.  If the were an asshole when they were alive that just makes them a dead asshole - and no longer wasting oxygen.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
NO - if my brother died tomorrow, it would not bother me at all.  

Although I might act sad to make my parents feel better about it.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Thats a liberal-assed statement if I've ever heard one.
You would have me take a bunch of crap from a guy, and feel bad when he croaks?
Yea, right.  I'm gonna cry a river when Osama bin Laden gets owned because he has family.

Boo freak'in Hoo.

So....  what exactly IS my problem?  

Am I at fault for speaking my peace to a bunch of friends?
Hell, why am I the one in the wrong here?

You are wrong because apparently you are very immature in your outlook and the degree to which you carry a grudge over a trivial thing like a grade from HIGH SCHOOL.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
NO
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A couple of girls started in on me about how I shouldn't say that "because he just died".

Ya should have wipped out your crank, winked at them and asked if they wanted a "ride" to the "funeral".
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You are wrong because apparently you are very immature in your outlook and the degree to which you carry a grudge over a trivial thing like a grade from HIGH SCHOOL.

My grudge was not based on the grade.  For you to jump on that one thing...  you must be a jock.
I only mentioned the grade I got because I felt it supported the description of the teacher.

I mean, really.  How the hell do you get a C in physical education?

Maybe physical education was different at your school.  
Did you have written exams on the history of sports, where it might be possible to get a C?  
Or did you play dodge ball and run laps and were supposed to be graded on effort/participation?
I didn't miss a single class, I participated in everything, and I never had an attitude with the
teacher.  

And how do I know I didn't have an attitude without realizing it?  
Because the jocks never kicked my ass when he "wasn't looking".

If a punked smarted off to the coach, the jocks took care of it for him.

I have earned lower grades than that, and can't even remember the professors that gave them to me.

The grudge I had was based on how he treated people.  
Not just how he treated me.

Tell me a grudge you have had that isn't trivial in someone else's eyes.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I haven't yet and I seriously doubt I will in the near future
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top