Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 3:18:21 AM EDT
I have an old PII computer sitting around that is doing absolutely nothing but taking up space. I had thought about trying to use the case for a rebuild but I think even that is out of date. What can I do with it? How can I dispose of it properly?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yank the hard drive out of it and then give it to anyone that wants it(or pay someone five bucks to take it)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shoot it.

To many upgrades to make it viable, make it into a security monitor along with a day and night cameras
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Reformat the hard drive and install Linux.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Folding.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
You can try Linux on it (or ask around if anyone wants to try Linux). It's a LOT easier to try Linux as a full install on a separate PC than it is to try a "live distro", as that way you can get online with your regular Windows/Mac PC and look for help when you can't get the Linux one to work right.
And most older hardware has Linux-compatible drivers, so problems are minimized.
--------
Nobody will pay for such a PC anymore.
-------
If you just want to toss it (or can't find it a new home) then find a wiping program and run that on it first, to get rid of the data on the hard drive (as well as easily possible). "Eraser" is the name of one that includes a feature to make a "Nuke Disk" that you boot off of to wipe a PC's hard drive.

Eraser is just a nice wiping program to have anyway--but the Nuke Disk is available alone from other places as well.
~
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Folding.

+1
ARFCOM folding team
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You play old games?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Folding.

+1
ARFCOM folding team

Is this like SETI@home but aimed towards biological research?    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Wipe the disk and donate it to a school, church or Boys\Girls Club. Most not-for-profits are always looking for hardware and can never afford it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You play old games?

X-Com.

Folding is a good use for older machines. 500mhz or thereabouts is the lower useful limit nowadays, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Folding.

+1
ARFCOM folding team

Is this like SETI@home but aimed towards biological research?    

Yes. See here folding.stanford.edu/  A little more practical, and more likely to benefit you or a loved one at some point.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Folding.

+1
ARFCOM folding team

+2

i've been running it for several months now
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
There is also The Lad Vampire.  You can help shut down fake bank websites setup by scammers by wasting their bandwidth as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top