Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:15:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 8:51:35 AM EDT by 1Andy2]
On the finger that got chopped in the router a few weeks ago.

The finger is pretty much healed, but the flesh and skin on one side of the finger is actually higher than the nail, so the nail is a bit beneath the skin on one side.

Aside from "go to a doctor" what can I do? Its really bugging me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:34:30 PM EDT
try to stuff something under the nail to force it to grow over the flesh. You don't want to deal with the doctors fix, it involves splitting the nail.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:36:42 PM EDT
Run it though the router again?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:48:47 PM EDT
tsk tsk you use a dremel tool for fine work not a router
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:58:52 PM EDT
Clip it with fine clippers, and then pull it out, it may hurt, but will feel better tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:23:38 PM EDT
Keep it clean.

If you decide to wave any sharp instruments near it, do yourself a favor and sterilize them. You may want to see a doc if it's really bad.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, AND IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. Consider it "battlefield" or "battlefinger" medicine, and really is only a field expedient for when I'm too stubborn to have a medical professional do the job for me.

I've been known to dump alcohol on sharp tweezers then pass them over a lighter flame, then dump alcohol over the affected digit. Using the sharp point, I'll raise the edge of my nail & stuff a piece of cotton under the edge of the nail. I've also jabbed too hard (carrying bacteria into an already inflammed area) with pointy things and suffered through annoying infections (i.e. pus buildup under pressure) that hurt far worse than the ingrown.

Did I mention keeping it clean?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:39:55 PM EDT
Break out the side cutters.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:02 PM EDT
Amputate
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:59:37 PM EDT
But send all your guns to me first.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:25:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:31:48 AM EDT
Tinsnips and a bottle of whiskey.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:34:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By UberPhLuBB:
Tinsnips and a bottle of whiskey.

There you go. All you need. But pour some on your toe instead of just drinking it all.

If the tin snips fail try a .22 or .32 first. The 9mm has too much velocity and the .45 might take off too much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:43:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:

If the tin snips fail try a .22 or .32 first. The 9mm has too much velocity and the .45 might take off too much.

But the .45 is just about the right size to bite while doing the amputation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:45:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sleepdr:

But the .45 is just about the right size to bite while doing the amputation.

Good point. But dont inhale or we will end up having to doing xrays to find the offending round. All you need is to belch and have a ND in your belly. It wouldnt be pretty.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:50:18 AM EDT
.45 will break his leg just from the air passing by...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:06:08 AM EDT
Maybe he should just rack a shotgun, and the sound will scare it off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:15:10 AM EDT
Just have Chuck Norris stare at it and it will fall off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:44:54 AM EDT
Nuke it from orbit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:00:43 AM EDT

Amputate

Damn! That sounds like malpractice to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:08:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

Amputate

Not at all. Ask any of the foot docs here what they do. They dig the fucker out and cut it off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:24:52 AM EDT
Possible but unlikely it is an "ingrown nail". More likely a paronychia. Inflammed, swollen skin over the edge of the nail. Sometimes infected.
Is there pus or just clear yellow drainage?
Tender?
Redness spreading more proximally into the finger at all?

In GENERAL:

Soak in pretty warm water 3-4 times daily and then pat dry. Rest the affected extremity and elevate.

If it is not improving or if it is severe you may need antibiotics and/or incision and drainage. That is done by simply slipping a scalpel along the nail, into the skin just enough to allow pus to drain. No big deal.

But it all depends and it is tough to say without seeing. Doing the things I mentioned above may be adequate but if it is severe or worsening you need to bite the bullet and go see someone. Of course, I am making some assumptions about this given the limited info.

I have done wedge resections on plenty of toes but have never had to do one on a fingernail.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:28:13 AM EDT

Amputate

Not at all. Ask any of the foot docs here what they do. They dig the fucker out and cut it off.

Those numbing shots make a trip to the dentist seem pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:30:40 AM EDT

Amputate

Immediately
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:31:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

Amputate

Those numbing shots make a trip to the dentist seem pleasant.

No kidding. Its one of the few times I have seen grown men cry and wimper like babies on a regular basis. We on our family practice rotation and for some reason the doc had a few that month. My job ended up being the hold down guy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:41:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Possible but unlikely it is an "ingrown nail". More likely a paronychia. Inflammed, swollen skin over the edge of the nail. Sometimes infected.
Is there pus or just clear yellow drainage?
Tender?
Redness spreading more proximally into the finger at all?

In GENERAL:

Soak in pretty warm water 3-4 times daily and then pat dry. Rest the affected extremity and elevate.

If it is not improving or if it is severe you may need antibiotics and/or incision and drainage. That is done by simply slipping a scalpel along the nail, into the skin just enough to allow pus to drain. No big deal.

But it all depends and it is tough to say without seeing. Doing the things I mentioned above may be adequate but if it is severe or worsening you need to bite the bullet and go see someone. Of course, I am making some assumptions about this given the limited info.

I have done wedge resections on plenty of toes but have never had to do one on a fingernail.

I don't think its infected. It is slightly red on the tip of the area, but only because I tried cutting it back yesterday with cuticle scissors.

As you can see, the top left corner of the nail is covered by skin/flesh. I don't think this is a good thing.

Thanks for all the replies, folks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:08:55 AM EDT
paronychia
Top Top