Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 9:26:50 PM EDT
Guys,

My wife and I are going back to school for our degree's. We are going to buy a couple laptops but have no idea what I should expect for the price.

looking to spend $600-$800 for each. I think we are going wireless so we need a wireless router and cards. Any help would be great. From what I see I am looking at about a 1.6 base model for that money. Any suggestions on brands or places to pick them up?

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 9:36:18 PM EDT by WildBoar]
They all basically suck, some are just worse than others. Just make sure you get accidental damage protection.

Wireless is pretty much a standard option in most systems now.

ETA avoid the Presarios. Every student that has one seems to have crap falling off. Buttons, keys, casing opening up and screws falling out and rolling around on the MB. Absolute turd of a computer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 9:32:26 PM EDT by Barrelburner]
Most laptops now have the wireless card built in. But if you order from Dell you probably have to spec it in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:33:37 PM EDT
Gateway, Dell or Toshiba.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:35:45 PM EDT
I have a Dell. It is coming up on 2 years old.

I drive a truck, and it has ridden with me for close to a quarter of a million miles, and has been relatively trouble free.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:36:13 PM EDT
HP's online store

A V2000Z is $499 for a basic laptop w/ everything that you'd need. I would recommend not buying any memory from them. Instead buy memory, at least 1GB, from newegg.com or another reputable online vendor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:49:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Samstead:
HP's online store

A V2000Z is $499 for a basic laptop w/ everything that you'd need. I would recommend not buying any memory from them. Instead buy memory, at least 1GB, from newegg.com or another reputable online vendor.

Yes, if you are competant enough to install memory it is much cheaper to buy it seperate and install yourself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 1:05:39 AM EDT by Floppy_833]
The main factor I would suggest to look at with buying a laptop is how long the battery runtime is. The whole justification for buying a laptop is that it is portable, but some of the cheaper laptops can barely go an hour on their batteries. For your information, <1 hour is "poor" and 4+ hours is "a long time"; you won't find any cheap ones that can go for four hours. You can buy additional batteries and swap them in of course, but additional batteries cost $120+ each and you have to power down to do that.

Built-in 802.11 used to be a big selling point as well, but a lot of laptops (even the $500 ones) have 802.11g wireless adaptors built in anyway now. And if it doesn't, it's not a big deal. For $25 you can get a USB adaptor, if you order it online. The cards tend to cost a bit more than that and don't work any better that I've ever noticed.

The CPU speed and RAM is not as important, because they are all slow because of the 5400-RPM hard drives that all cheaper laptops use. So don't expect it to be fast as a desktop, because it won't be. And if you're just running office-type programs anyway, the lack of speed really isn't a big deal. Even a 1Ghz laptop will still do spreadsheets way faster than you can with a paper and pencil.
~
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:17:20 AM EDT
Is there a site where you can build it online or is buying in a regular store better? Looking for specific model or brand types if you guys have em.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:20:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:57:00 AM EDT
Forget Dell and HP - I love my Acer!! Here's an Acer on NewEgg that looks like it has everything you want in your budget.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:44 AM EDT
Free Dell

Check out this thread. Put all your school expenses on your CC, transfer the balance, and you're in like Flynn. Only problem,

It's a DELL.
Top Top