Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 6:50:35 PM EDT
Hi all-

I'm thinking of upgrading my computer.  My cheap option would be just to get a new processor.

I have a "1.1GHz Athlon" according to Norton System Information.  I take this to be the Athlon 1100B;  1100 MHz clock speed, 256 KB L2 cache, 200 MHz FSB, 1.75 V in a Socket A.  
I have a motherboard of unknown manufacture.  

What processors can I put into it.  I presume any Athlon of that series would be OK (e.g. the Athlon 1400).  

How about a more recent set of Socket A Athlons, like the Athlon XP series?

Another question: will I need to reinstall Windoze 2000 if I upgrade?

Thanks!

KoAT
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Use this to tell you your system info. Get your motherboard type and from there look up the info on what CPU's you can support. Direct download is here.

You wont need to reinstall anything if you upgrade your CPU. I would recommend just moving to a new motherboard/cpu/video card though, as AGP is becoming legacy hardware and PCI Express is becoming mainstream.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
just upgrading your CPU won't make a huge difference. If you're going to upgrade only one component, put more RAM in there.  CPU should be #2 or #3 on your list behind RAM and a video card
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Knowing what motherboard (chipset especially) would be the most important in letting you know what you can put in it..Chances are your upgrade potential is very limited.

AthlonXP is pretty much a definate no. While newer MBs are pretty much backward compatible to the thunderbirds, the older ones are not really forward compatible.

The Seprons arn't too bad for an 'on the cheap' upgrade. (Neither are the dual core celerons for than matter, intel competes pretty good on the low end)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew I could get quick answers.    Thanks to all who responded!

The processor again is the Thunderbird 1100B.   I've got 512KB of RAM, and a Radeon 9700 already installed.  The thing's weakness is of course the low clock speed on the MB.

No further info on the MB.  It was generic, I forgot what chipset, and I haven't been able to find it.  This hain't looking too good....

And yes I have considered just upgrading the whole thing.  My problem is that my current configuration is sufficent for what I want to do and I don't see advantages to upgrading, besides running Windoze faster.  I estimate $250 or so for the MB/CPU if I want the Sempron 3400, $150 for an ATI X1300.  $400 right there.  And then I probably want to replace my now 2 year old hard drive, add another $60.    (I went to my local Microcenter and saw the prices).  Well, the good thing is I'd get 5 PCI slots, USB 2.0, and firewire none of which I currently have (but do I really need them?).   And then maybe I'd want 512KB of the cheap Corsair memory instead of the generic crap I have now ($80).  And then maybe I'd want that neato Plextor Firewire DVD burner ($140).  

Oh dear.    

So, I thought about just buying a "better" old Athlon on Ebay might do the trick.  I suppose the 1.4 GHz Thunderbird might work (around $40).  

You're saying the XP is out?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
im going to say no more than a 2100+  

and you will probably need a bios flash.   and new heatsink and fan.  

if this is not a standard computer,  you might not be able to upgrade.   you won't know untill you try
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top