Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 6:13:44 PM EDT
FoxNews now. Casualties reported. Details scetchy. Will update as information becomes available.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Details?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see anything on Fox.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
link? I don't see it on fox's site.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=9167

Explosion at Kammer-Mitchell
Posted 3/4/2006 09:15 PM

BREAKING NEWS... An explosion at A.E.P.'s Kammer-Mitchell Plant...

Story by Jennifer Shoulders Email

7 News reporters are on the way to the scene of an explosion at A.E.P.'s Kammer-Mitchell Plant, just south of Moundsville.

At this time, details are very limited, though there have been unconfirmed reports of some fatalities and injuries.

We do know that rescue efforts are underway at this time, but to what extent remains to be determined.

7 News will continue to follow this story and bring you every detail as it becomes available.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
tag..might have a friend in the area, will see if i can get any info from him later on
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of power plant is that?  Is that a nuck plan or conventional?  I live to the east....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
tag- hope this ends better than it sounds
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What kind of power plant is that?  Is that a nuck plan or conventional?  I live to the east....

Looked it up. Coal Plant.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Coal fired .  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WTF is a "NUCK" is that short for kNUCKle head plant?
Its West By God Virginia, of course it is coal
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Damned if West Virginia hasn't been hit hard with tragedy after tragedy lately.... Sure hope things get better for everyone there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Damned if West Virginia hasn't been hit hard with tragedy after tragedy lately.... Sure hope things get better for everyone there.

Yep kinda weird that you have an explosion at a coal mine in WV and within a few weeks an explosion at a coal fired power plant in WV Hmmmm..... (tightens AFDB)

Eco-terrorist group?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably coal dust explosion then. Coal is pulverised but is supposed to be wetted to prevent this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
LIVE ON FOX , RIGHT NOW.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LIVE ON FOX , RIGHT NOW.....

No it's not
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Coal=the silent killer
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
We don't know what caused it, but we do know it was NOT terrorism!

RIP, workers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THAT?

Terrorists were the first thing that popped into my mind btw.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit. My company does work at the Mitchell Plant.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-03042006-621515.html

Explosion reported at Moundsville power plant

The Associated Press

MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va. - One worker was unaccounted for and three had to be rescued by helicopter after a fire broke out in a 1,000-foot-tall smokestack under construction at an American Electric Power plant on Saturday.

The three contract workers were plucked off the stack by a helicopter about 10 p.m., after being trapped for about two hours above the flames, said AEP spokeswoman Carmen Prati-Miller.

The fire occurred at AEP's Kammer-Mitchell plant south of Moundsville, which is about 68 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.
March 4, 2006 10:51 PM

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1  Sad they keep getting hit by something.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Probably coal dust explosion then. Coal is pulverised but is supposed to be wetted to prevent this.

I know that happens in the mines, but I didn't know that was an issue at power plants.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because even if it were Terrorists... which it probably wasn't...  THEY would say it wasn't terrorists.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because even if it were Terrorists... which it probably wasn't...  THEY would say it wasn't terrorists.  

Agreed. The truth comes out most of the time however.www.homelandsecurityus.com/site/modules/news/article.php?storyid=129
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#33]

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/05/AR2006030500311.html

Officials Let Fire at W.Va. Power Plant Burn Out Before Searching for Worker's Body

Sunday, March 5, 2006; 11:18 AM

MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) -- Crews on Sunday waited for a smoldering fire to die out inside a 100-story-high power plant smokestack so they could search for the body of a worker presumed dead inside.

The worker was one of several installing a fiberglass lining inside the concrete stack when the fire broke out Saturday. Three other workers at the top of the stack were trapped for two hours above the flames before a dramatic helicopter rescue.

"They were able to get on top of the stack and able to secure themselves on the side to stay out of the fire," Marshall County Sheriff John Gruzinskas said.

Ground crews communicated with the men by radio, he said, and the three remained calm while awaiting rescue. They were all in stable condition at hospitals Sunday.

Gruzinskas said he was amazed at the rescue by a Maryland State Police helicopter, which lowered a bucket to lift each worker out individually. West Virginia authorities requested the helicopter and its crew of trained rescuers, which came about 100 miles from Cumberland, Md.

"I just couldn't imagine a rescue in daylight under the best of conditions," he said. "Here the stack is on fire, it's dark, and you've got three guys hanging onto it."

The cause of the fire had not been determined.

The missing man was one of several who were working inside the 1,000-foot-tall stack at American Electric Power's Kammer-Mitchell plant, AEP spokeswoman Carmen Prati-Miller said Sunday. The workers are employed by Pullman Power LLC of Kansas City, Mo.

"All but four were able to get out the bottom safely," she said. Prati-Miller did not know how many workers were in the stack.

Fire officials decided to let the fire burn itself out before trying to enter the stack, said Tom Hart, director of Marshall County Emergency Management.

Engineers determined that the stack remained stable, Prati-Miller said.

The coal-fired power plant is south of Moundsville, about 68 miles southwest of Pittsburgh. It is being upgraded to bring the power station into compliance with federal air pollution regulations.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Steve, the first thing that popped into your mind was Pop Tarts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh shit
I have a man working safety and medical at that plant for another contractor.
I will wait for him to call me with the details then I will post them here. Now is not the time for me to be calling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Defintely not terrorism, but may be a muslim seeking religious revenge.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

. It is being upgraded to bring the power station into compliance with federal air pollution regulations.

That means its BUSH'S FAULT    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you been to coal country in WV?  Eastern KY and West WV are a different world.  Any type of stranger isn't going slip into that area and go unnotice for very long, especially someone from the middle east.  Plus why would the terrorist attack an unknown area in WV?  They are all about fear and panic, not scaring a few squirrels and deer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

RIP, workers.

thats funny
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Defintely not terrorism, but may be a muslim seeking religious revenge.

It was no terrorism act, it was a new smokestack being built, the fiberglass liner they put inside caught fire. The guys were spinning fiberglass...the 3 guys they got out  by helicopter were in pretty good shape according to the chopper pilot.... the other guy is unaccounted for. crossing fingers.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't know exactly what happened, but whatever it is early on, it doesn't sound too good.  I think somebody should be lawyering up.
===============================================================
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/06/powerplant.fire.ap/index.html

'The boys held each other and prayed'
Smokestack worker missing, others saved in dramatic rescue

Monday, March 6, 2006; Posted: 9:18 a.m. EST (14:18 GMT)

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- The father of a power plant worker plucked off a burning 100-story smokestack says his son complained about safety issues only days before fire erupted at the facility.

Workers were installing a fiberglass lining inside the power plant's stack when the fire broke out Saturday. Three workers were trapped and a fourth was missing and presumed dead.

David Earley II, one of the rescued workers, had complained that a hoist used to lift materials and workers had no brakes and was held aloft only by its gears, his father, David Earley, told The Associated Press.

"There needs to be a safe alternative to get people down," the elder Earley said Sunday night about American Electric Power's Kammer-Mitchell plant. "My son asked for that."

Earley, 29, of New Matamoras, Ohio; Jay McDonald, 59, of Kanab, Utah; and Timothy Wells, 36, of New Martinsville, were trapped for two hours above the flames before a dramatic rescue by a police helicopter.

McDonald was in good condition Sunday night at a Pittsburgh hospital, while Earley and Wells were treated and released. The workers are employed by Pullman Power LLC of Kansas City, Missouri.

American Electric Power spokeswoman Carmen Prati-Miller said early Monday she was unaware of any of the safety concerns raised by Earley and could not comment. She referred questions to Pullman, which did not immediately return a telephone message.

The cause of the fire had not been determined Sunday. The stack liner was destroyed, and large amounts of debris were lying in the stack's base. Pullman engineers will determine when it will be safe for crews resume a search.

Earley said his son, who was terrified of heights, usually operated equipment from the ground but was told Saturday night to go to the top of the stack.

"They told him if he didn't get up there he would be fired," the elder Earley said. "My son didn't have an air pack or safety harness. He called down and said he needed a safety harness and someone sent one up. All them boys would be dead if they didn't have a safety harness."

Marshall County Sheriff John Gruzinskas said the missing worker has two small children and his wife is seven months pregnant. His name won't be released until his body is recovered, the sheriff said.

Earley's son described a terrifying ordeal to his father, one in which he said his stomach and thighs were burned through three layers of clothes he was wearing.

"The boys held on to each other and prayed," Earley said. "They thought the stack was coming down. The air luckily enough was blowing some of the smoke away from them and they could get some fresh air. They had to keep putting the fire out on each other because their clothes would catch fire."

Earley said his son was the only one with a working radio and talked to his co-worker who is believed to have died "right until his last breath."

"He can't talk to me about what that boy told him," Earley said. "David is OK physically. Mentally he's a basket case. He just keeps crying."

American Electric Power is upgrading the coal-fired power plant to bring it into compliance with federal air pollution regulations. The plant is about 68 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top