Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:15:29 PM EDT
POBEDITELI - Soldiers of The Great War

Here's a nice, but very long, multimedia version of WWII (The Great War) from the Soviet perspective, with a 'map' showing the war's progression.

The comments are stilted, of course, but not as badly as you might guess.

Comments, please.

Eric The(Historical)Hun
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:23 PM EDT
From the 'Questions and Answers' Section:

Why does the site refer to the “Great Patriotic War” rather than “World War II ?”

Although the Great Patriotic War was certainly a part of World War II, the Russian (and many former Soviet) people perceive it as a separate war in which the very existence of their country and their national identity were at stake. The team of historians, writers, designers and programmers who created this project did not intend to correct this perception, but rather to document it for future generations, and to share the memories and experiences of the veterans.

What does “Pobediteli” mean ?

Pobediteli is Russian word for “Victors”.

Why did you translate the project into English ?

To help people understand one another. The events of WWII still have a great bearing on current geopolitics, and we believe that sharing how citizens of the former Soviet Union perceive the war might help bridge some gaps between nations today.

Was Pobediteli a Russian Government public relations initiative ?

No, this was a civic initiative by a group of private businesses and individuals. We did receive various official endorsements, but only after the project was done and got noticed. We never intended the project to flatter the Soviet Union – our motivating objective was to document the current popular perception of the Great Patriotic War in the former Soviet Union.

Interesting, v-e-r-r-r-y interesting.

Eric The(Tvarisch)Hun
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:21:34 PM EDT
IBTPOBEDITELI

errr, i'll watch it in a min
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:33:20 PM EDT
Tagging it for later.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:01:04 AM EDT
Way cool!
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:29:25 AM EDT
tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:33:09 AM EDT
Interesting perspective.

I watched "Enemy at the Gates" in its entirety for the first time yesterday afternoon. I know, I know, about time.
I didnt realize the Germans made it that far on the eastern front.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:35:53 AM EDT
Tag for tonight
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:44:10 AM EDT
Tagged. I am always interested in WWII stuff.

It almost seems in history as though Russia didn't exist until communism. One rarely today hears anything about Russia before WWI. Until recently, I had no idea of the fantastic art and history of this great country.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:44 AM EDT
Think about what Europe would be like if the NAZU's and the Commies kept on being friends. The germans did a lot of tank training and development in Russia in the 30's and had a non aggression pact right up until the time Germany invaded. The Russians bled the NAZI's white on the eastern front.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:41:47 AM EDT
You need to change the title of your thread. I expected it to be about how the Tsar in World War I.

I believe the Eastern Front was the real war in Europe. The huge tank battles, year long sieges.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SS109:
You need to change the title of your thread. I expected it to be about how the Tsar in World War I.

I used the same Title the website used.

I thought about renaming it 'The Great Patriotic War', but chose not to.

I believe the Eastern Front was the real war in Europe. The huge tank battles, year long sieges.

'Real war' as in 'more people died', then yeah.

'Real war' as in 'the more interesting part of the war', then nope.

As an American, the'real war' was wherever an American fought and died.

Eric The(Jingoist)Hun
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:32:35 PM EDT
The Russians have quite a museum in Moscow, something like the Soviet Army Museum. It includes a bushel-basket sized pile of captured Iron Crosses, and the big eagle that sat on top of the Reichstag in Berlin.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:53:13 PM EDT
tag like a mofo
Top Top