Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:58 PM EDT
All of a sudden my ability to access the other computer on my network is denied.

I get some message about seeing the network adminsistrator to get access to the other computer.

BTW, the other computer can access files on this one.

WTF?  Makes me wonder if the kid did something to prevent me from seeing his files over the household network.

Other info, his computer is connected via wireless hookup.

Other wireless connected computers seem to allow me access to thier files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any firewall software running (Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm, BlackIce, etc.)?

I had a similar situation where one of the computers on my network could access the other, but not vice-versa.  On investigating, I had used a very small IP range to allow local connections on one of the original computers on my network.  Once there were more computers on the network than that IP range could cover, the original computer wasn't able to see anything that received a higher IP.

I expanded the IP to something large and standard on all of my network machines, and it fixed the problem entirely.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
answer ks_physicst  first
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you have any firewall software running (Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm, BlackIce, etc.)?

I had a similar situation where one of the computers on my network could access the other, but not vice-versa.  On investigating, I had used a very small IP range to allow local connections on one of the original computers on my network.  Once there were more computers on the network than that IP range could cover, the original computer wasn't able to see anything that received a higher IP.

I expanded the IP to something large and standard on all of my network machines, and it fixed the problem entirely.

Jim

I don't believe that the IP range is the problem. It fairly large.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top