BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not sure which MOS yet.  I'm taking the ASVAB on the 7th. The recruiter says we can talk about MOS after I get the results.  I'm looking into something related to computers and technology, since I worked for 7 years as a computer engineer in the San Francisco area.

Ummmmmm.....que?

What is it that you don't understand?  I'd like to hear any and all input.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
what he is asking is how are you going to have time for that.  when you go to take your asvab generally it is the next day or later that day that they walk you into another room and your 'career helper' will tell you the jobs you are able to get.  They will try to fit you into a slot that they really need at that time.  
what you need to do.  find out what the top enlistment bonuses are at the time.  find out what job you want to do before you go for testing.  it moves quick fast and they like that shock and awe effect.  So if you don't know what you want they will tell you what you want and thats a bad thing.  lies blend into the truth and they tell you what you want to hear.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay now I understand.  The answer is that I am not taking the ASVAB at MEPS.  I am taking it at the Coast Guard station about 1 week before I go to MEPS.

The recruiter said that he can reserve ahead of time whatever MOS I qualify for.  That way, when I get to MEPS, everything will be ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Join the  Navy, be an ET or Aegis/SPY FC.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
do not rush this.  you have waited till the age of 29 to hear the calling you can wait a few more days/weeks to figure out exactly what you are getting into.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do not rush this.  you have waited till the age of 29 to hear the calling you can wait a few more days/weeks to figure out exactly what you are getting into.

Well said.  The army will still be there next week.  DFIU.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people get confused when they see "Military/LE Only" stamped on the cool toys.  

That does NOT mean (not ever, not even a little) that Pvt. Fuckalotti or Officer Munchadonut can go out and buy the good stuff.  

Mil/LE toys can only be purchased by THE DEPARTMENT.  Bumfuckville PD can buy a full auto M4 and issue it to Officer Munchadonut, and he can carry it around as s duty weapon, but it is not his, not will it ever be, and must be surrendered to the dept. on demand.

Same goes for the .mil.  They may say "this is your rifle" but they really mean "hold on to my rifle for a while and maybe kill some hajis with it until we want it back"  That M16 will never really be YOURS.

DO NOT SIGN UP TO GET YOUR HANDS ON COOL GUNS!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Only way to get cool uniforms is to sign Marine.

Army is getting the "me too!" ACU's now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I was AD AF, so please listen to what I have to say....First of all the recruiters job is to lie, no if's and's or butts. They have monthly quota's and supervisors are unhappy people when they don't meet them. My recruiter was such a filthy lying bastard, I came home for "recruiter assistance" and found out they had sent him somewhere else because he had pissed off too many people! (supervisors actual words)

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Whatever job your doing prepare to do it for 4 plus years and like it, or try anyways.... Look up job descriptions on the internet or ask people What they ACTUALLY DID! Not what the friggin manual or worse, recruiter says. If you want to play with guns, be Security Police, Infantry, Armor, Nuclear Weapons, SF....Or a Marine.... Especially a marine, it's the fastest way to touch    
firearms and try to kill someone. SF takes to long and the others have too much (usually) downtime from  
combat or never see it. When your deployed to Al's garage or such, you'll get a firearm but even finger F*&king while maintaining it can be frowned upon! I hope your significant other and child are okay with practically not seeing you. With the war, your going to be and deployed alot in these fields. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Army only works 9-to-5 these days?  What happened to doing more before 5am than most people do all day?  Since when are 10+ magazines LE only?

That's what the recruiter told me.  9 to 5.

I'm not sure what the actual recruiter-speak is, but I suspect you have been lied to.

I spit on my screen laughing when I read that
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Laughing my ass off on this one, thanks.

To answer your question Hell NO!!!!!

Any firearms you own will likely have to be stored in the base armory when not in your posession and there is not place on any military installation that would allow you to carry a personally owned firearm for any reason.

PS.  9-5 what kind af bullshit story did your recruiter tell you.

As far as purchasing anything that is not California legal probably not as you are a California resident and that will be taken into account for most purchases.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not sure which MOS yet.  I'm taking the ASVAB on the 7th.  The recruiter says we can talk about MOS after I get the results.  I'm looking into something related to computers and technology, since I worked for 7 years as a computer engineer in the San Francisco area.

Be a 13F...we do LOTS with computers and technology.  At least that is what another guy that went to AIT with me thought when he signed up.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If youre looking for a badass MOS, go 19Delta Cavalry Scout.

If youre looking for an almost-as badass MOS, go 11Bravo Infantryman.

Nothing else is badass.

I beg to differ, what do you do that a 13F in a BFIST doesn't do?  We got Bradleys and as much fire support as anyone can get faster then anyone can get it.  Jeez noob.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Damn 5:30 is EARLY!

My life for one year in Iraq: Wake up at 5:30, eat breakfast, then load truck, then go to AM INTSUM, drive IED,EFP, and VBIED infested roads, deal with dumbass IPs for 12 hours, fall asleep from exhaustion at 8PM, wake up at 5:30 AM next morning and repeat...  We had 5 actual "days off" the whole deployment and three of them were in the last week before going home.  You are in for some suprises!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I ETS’d in 1992 but back then my typical day as a E-5(P) acting Platoon Sgt for an Aero Scout Platoon in the CAV was:

Monday-Friday

0430 wake up
0500-0530 drive to post
0530-0545 BS with the 1SG in the orderly room
0600-0730ish PT
0730-0900 breakfast /shower time
0900 formation at the hanger or orderly room
0900-1130 aircraft maintenance/flights
1130-1300 lunch
1300-1700/1730 aircraft maintenance/flights

So you can see that during peace time, in garrison, you can easily have a 12-13 hour day. And that day is not just made up of work in your MOS. You also have your additional duties on top of your  MOS specific duties.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing else is badass.

I beg to differ, what do you do that a 13F in a BFIST doesn't do?  We got Bradleys and as much fire support as anyone can get faster then anyone can get it.  Jeez noob.

-Ben

I tell you what.  hes right on the 11 series part but its not the bravos who have it so hard.  11c is still infantry but they have to carry the mortar shit.  11bang bangs carry assualt packs light loads very little weight in combat where 11c's carry some of the highest weights while on patrol.  we preform the same job as the 11b's at times but simply have another tool we can pull out when someone else needs our help.

do 13f's bust down doors?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
9 to 5 your recruiters so jive.
PAleeze. In peacetime when I was in my shift ran 6AM to 6PM. 12hours a day 7 days a week. Had MAYBE, 2 days off a month.

I DID carry every day.
1 M16
1 1911A1
some of the time carried a Trench [shottie] gun also.

However I was an MP. As a "not in the field" GI you won't see shit of your rifle unless it's to clean it again, and again, AND AGAIN. One round of ammo found on you, around you. or pooped out of you and you are in shit creek, stuck in the mud, and sinking fast.

Take your tests, see what you qualify for beforehand. Do a delay entry so you have plenty of time to get your family and things in order. Don't bother about trying to bring them arouind where you will be basic and AITing. They will be better off with parents or where they are at. You had better have some money saved up because it will be hard financially to start off as a PVT or E2 and even struggle to raise a family.

You seriously need to retink what the hell you are doing bud, do your OWN homework and do not rely on some recruiter. Their job is to get you in, past that point, they owe you jack and outrank you anyways.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
just an after thought.  you said you were working on computers now.  does that by chance mean you have a college degree.  if so you can go in as an E4.  but not a real e4.  more like an e1 who gets paid as an e4
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing else is badass.

-Ben

I tell you what.  hes right on the 11 series part but its not the bravos who have it so hard.  11c is still infantry but they have to carry the mortar shit.  11bang bangs carry assualt packs light loads very little weight in combat where 11c's carry some of the highest weights while on patrol.  we preform the same job as the 11b's at times but simply have another tool we can pull out when someone else needs our help.

Depends on who we are assigned to at the time(as far as clearing buildings), but generally, we are never the first in a room.  We are too important.  I wasn't assigned to a FIST platoon, and then attached to an infantry company like most FISTers.  I was a COLT.  Same MOS, whole different ball game.  (In a world where we do what we are trained to--->) A three man recon element cannot really spend time kicking in doors, we carry too much shit, and generally are up to 40 kilometers forward of the friendly line.  'course while I was deployed our platoon was like everyone else in field artillery.  MP wannabes.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing else is badass.

-Ben

Depends on who we are assigned to at the time(as far as clearing buildings), but generally, we are never the first in a room.  We are too important.  I wasn't assigned to a FIST platoon, and then attached to an infantry company like most FISTers.  I was a COLT.  Same MOS, whole different ball game.  (In a world where we do what we are trained to--->) A three man recon element cannot really spend time kicking in doors, we carry too much shit, and generally are up to 40 kilometers forward of the friendly line.  'course while I was deployed our platoon was like everyone else in field artillery.  MP wannabes.  

-Ben

well our fisters are all slow and lazy.  but thats just ours.  they never seem to get the call out fast enough on our mortar runs we are always waiting on them and fdc.  but hey whos to point fingers.  where exactly is the friendly line these days.  haven't seen it on any of s2's maps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
well our fisters are all slow and lazy.  but thats just ours.  they never seem to get the call out fast enough on our mortar runs we are always waiting on them and fdc.  but hey whos to point fingers.  where exactly is the friendly line these days.  haven't seen it on any of s2's maps.

Yeah, as far as the "friendly lines" statement, that would not be regular FISTers, but COLTs, and as I said, in an enviroment where we are doing what we are trained to.  A "perfect world" for lack of better descriptive words, where everyone did what they are meant to, places the COLT platoon directly under the brigade commander.  After AIT, as I said, I was never with a regular FIST platoon, so I am sure you could very well be correct on the slow and lazy comment.  Our LT enjoyed good training though, and made an effort to make people miserable who did not go out of their way to get in as much as possible, as often as possible.  He also was a PT nazi. I had a 340 on my PT test and it "wasn't good enough for a guy your age".

-Ben

PS sorry for the thread hijack.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on joining the finest military in the world.

You are a Californication resident.
No matter where you go in the USA you are fucked because you will have to abide by California state law and by the laws of whatever state you may be stationed in.

If you get out of California change your home of residence to the state you are in and surrender your Kommiefinication drivers liscense.

This will allow you to buy the "good shit" man.

Always remember, if a car salesmans or a military recruiters lips are moving they are lieing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#23]
If all this Army talk scares you...go talk to an Air Force recruiter.  The AF has excellent computer training also.  You could end up programing/developing weapons sytems software or helping operate one of DISAs big megacenters.  If you spent seven years in CA doing computer engineering, thy would love to have your skills.

I had a friend whose husband was a programmer and he worked with radar systems.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a sad state of affairs when the government is paying its thanks for surrendering your life to its will by trying to screw you over before you've even signed up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Concealed carry is not allowed on any military installation (nor on any DOD or Federal property). Only exceptions are Federal LEO and military investigators (CID, NCIS, OSI).

Not entirely true.

Army regs leave it up to individual installations to set policy. Each installation usually drafts a 190-series post reg to address CCW and privately owned weapons.  For example, Ft Eustis says you have to have a Virginia permit and permission from garrison commander.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Screw all the talk about what MOS or buying guns, etc.

You need to take a serious look at what you're going to be paid and how you're going to be able to afford feeding a wife and kid without food stamps.

Think about how long you're going to be separated from them for basic/AIT, and then for your eventual deployment.  Then think about how you're going to support them 13,000 miles away on an E-3 paycheck.  The extra $2/day for family sep isn't going to cut it.

You need to seriously look at your family situation here.  

If you can do it, great.  If you have no debt, can stay out of all debt, and have a stronger marriage than 99% of the people in the Army do, you have a small chance of making it to your first reenlistment still married.

You need to seriously think this through begining to end.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
it sucks but its true.  Its a tough shitty life.  know the pay know how long its really gonna take you to make rank.  know that you will be away from your family.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top