Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:21:04 AM EDT
First the bad news.
The sea levels will rise about 200 feet.
(see good news at the botton of this story)  

North Pole Meets South Pole: Earth Is Melting at Both Ends
Melting Ice Caps Could Spell Disaster for Coastal Cities

(March 2) - For the first time, scientists have confirmed Earth is melting at both ends, which could have disastrous effects for coastal cities and villages.

Antarctica has been called "a slumbering giant" by a climate scientist who predicts that if all the ice melted, sea levels would rise by 200 feet. Other scientists believe that such a thing won't happen, but new studies show that the slumbering giant has started to stir.

Melting at Both Ends

Recent studies have confirmed that the North Pole and the South Pole have started melting.

Experts have long predicted that global warming would start to melt Greenland's two-mile-thick ice sheet, but they also thought the more massive ice sheet covering Antarctica would increase in the 21st century.

It seems they were wrong.

Two new studies find that despite the increasing snowfall that comes with global warming as a result of the increased moisture in the air, Antarctica's ice sheets are losing far more than the snow is adding.

According to the National Academy of Sciences, Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the last century, with accelerated warming during the last two decades. Most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities through the buildup of greenhouse gases — primarily carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide. Although the heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed, uncertainties exist about exactly how Earth's climate responds to them.

"The warming ocean comes underneath the ice shelves and melts them from the bottom, and warmer air from the top melts them from the top," said NASA glaciologist Jay Zwally. "So they're thinning and eventually they get to a point where they go poof!"

Zwally explains that the ice shelves, which the Antarctic ice cap pushes out into the ocean, are responding more than they expected to Earth's warming air and water. If the melting speeds up to a rapid runaway process called a "collapse," coastal cities and villages could be in danger.

James Hansen, director of NASA's Earth Science Research, said that disaster could probably be avoided, but that it would require dramatically cutting emission outputs. If the proper actions aren't taken, Hansen said, the sea level could rise as much as 80 feet by the time today's children reach middle age.

"We now must choose between a serious problem that we can probably handle and, if we don't act soon, unmitigated disaster down the road," Hansen said.

Scientists looking at ice cores can now read Earth's temperatures from past millennia and match them to sea levels from those eras.

"Based on the history of the Earth, if we can keep the warming less than 2 degrees Fahrenheit, I think we can avoid disastrous ice sheet collapse," Hansen said.

Hansen and other scientists point out that a rise of at least 1 degree Fahrenheit — and another few feet of sea level — seem virtually certain to happen because of the carbon that mankind has already put in the atmosphere.

Now the good news.

My house is  2,656 feet above sea level.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My house is 8 feet about sea level.

Maybe I need to buy that ocean front property in Arizona now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
So when will this happen?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So when will this happen?

Yesterday!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Combine this with the sky falling and things are really taking a turn for the worse....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
So much for bothering to rebuild NOLA
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think we'll be around when the Grand Canyon becomes a river.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
next week they will say it isnt happening. they do this every week to keep everyone's attention.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The weather man said it was going to stop snowing at 11pm yesterday, it stopped at 7pm.  So just how accurate are they at another 100 years?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Uhh....heh.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]
EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Too late, it already has one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm at 220'. Hell ya! Beach front property for me without the cost. I need to buy another house in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#13]
It's because of outsourcing - that's why!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a boat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Spring Fever Maybe!!!!!.........
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Ice caps melting? Er... no. You'd have to heat Antarctica another 65 degrees to get anywhere near it.

That isn't going to happen.

Ever.

No kidding.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#17]
What scientists (those with lefty agendas, anyway) fail to mention, however, is that oceans moderate the earth's temperature. If it starts getting too hot, ice melts, adding cold water to the oceans, cooling things off again.

But we never hear any of that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Try this.

Take a glass and put as many ice cubes as you can in it, then fill the glass to the top with water.

Go away and come back in a few hours.

What do you think happened to the water when the ice melted?  Did it all splash over the side onto your counter? Or did it all stay in the glass?  

(here's a hint: water expands when it freezes..... that means ice contracts when it melts.......)

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Even God doesn't like California.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
It's because of all the 2-Stroke dirtbikes and snowmobiles.  Turn if they would convert ALL off road vehicles to 4-strokes this disaster would be avoided.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to start buying all the land I can find around 200' above sea level.  Sometime in the future that will all be ocean front property!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn...not again.

We went through this just 2,000,000 years ago
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
How does air that's well below 32 degrees Farenheit melt freaking ice?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was just a wee tot in school in the '70s, we heard about the coming Ice Age and how the earth was cooling due to pollution.  [eyeroll]  Too many "scientists" with an agenda.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Guess what?
Something.....
Somewhere.......
IS going to happen!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So much for bothering to rebuild NOLA

I want my tax money back!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Try this.
Take a glass and put as many ice cubes as you can in it, then fill the glass to the top with water.

What do you think happened to the water when the ice melted?  Did it all splash over the side onto your counter? Or did it all stay in the glass?  
(here's a hint: water expands when it freezes..... that means ice contracts when it melts.......)

Ok I hate to show you how wrong you are since I don't even really believe the polar caps will melt in our life time but here goes.

Your logic and reasoning and conclusions are wrong.

The polar caps don't float in the ocean.
They sit on top on a land mass and if they did melt they would over flow the oceans.
You made the incorrect comparison of ice floating in a glass of water.

If the polar caps were floating in the ocean you would have been correct.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Nobody has blamed Bush yet......  You guys are SLACKERS!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#29]
It's Bush's fault! He is single handily causing global warming, from his secret lair were they hide Dick Cheney!

Happy now!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#30]
WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!!11!!ONE!!1!!1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh teh NOES!!!!!!1111oneoneexclamationmark!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#32]
So IF it ALL melts, it MIGHT raise sea level by 200 feet.

Be sure to post the story in 2010 that says we're going to have an ice age, like they were predicting in the 70s.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I BROKE THE DAM
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this.

Ok I hate to show you how wrong you are since I don't even really believe the polar caps will melt in our life time but here goes.

They sit on top on a land mass and if they did melt they would over flow the oceans.

The one in the north pole floats in the ocean...the one at the south pole is over antarcttica.

However the south pole is around -35 F so there's not a big chance of it happening.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this.

The one in the north pole floats in the ocean...the one at the south pole is over antarcttica.

However the south pole is around -35 F so there's not a big chance of it happening.

No! No! It really IS melting! And its all because of humans living a good life! Really!

I swear, is it any wonder that most "scientists" or at least those who get good press are also libtards? Living in fantasy land.

And for crying out loud, calamity did much of the major forming of our planet and will probably be its demise but let a "scientist" actually see it happen and they go friggin nuts!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Um, doesn't ice melt every spring and summer?

It refreezes in the winter.

None of the changes are man made.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, I live almost dead center in central Florida, 50 miles from the coast.  So, if we keep this house till my kids hit their 40s, I'll get to retire in a beach house...  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
What everyone is forgetting is that this will never happen before the meteor hits. Maybe it will hit the ocean and THAT would do it. Hmm if that does happen than what about the water that is sloshed over the poles? Wont that water then freeze solving the whole issue?

Viola!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Nuclear Winter will counter act Global Warming and everything will be fine.

PS
I broke the dam!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#40]

i don't know why so many "scientists" and "experts" have such boners for "global wrming". it's the natural course of the planet. just like the four seasons we in new england enjoy, the planet as a whole goes through these climate changes. it's just on the scale of millions of years rather than a few months.

so the globe is warming. BFD. eventually it's going to gool down and we'll have another ice age. BFD. so people are dumping pollutants out of their evil automobiles and it's speeding up the warming. if the difference is between 200,000 to warm without us, and 199,995 years with us, it really doesn't make a difference.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Someone needs to starts handing out copies of "State of Fear".
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I BROKE THE DAM

http://newsbusters.org/media/2005-10-19-southpark.wmv

fun clip of it here...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Try this.

The problem with this argument that a large ammount of ice is supported by land (Greenland/Antartica) and when it melts it will flow into the ocean, raising the level.

That said, I wouldnt worry too much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#44]
So does this mean I won't havce to drive as far to go deep sea fishing?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Cool, we'll be practically beachfront.

<---300 ft above sea level
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, I guess all the libtards will be saying the only way to save the earth is to start passing around the kool-aid, Jonestown flavor, and ELIMINATE all those nasty humans that are impacting the poor earth.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this.

ummmmm.......... OK.

I can accept when I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Sheez!  I wouldn't worry, the sky is scheduled to fall long before the ice melts enough to make a difference.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top