Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:30:55 AM EDT
When I was a child, my father taught me about firearms.  My father bought me my first .22 ( a Savage bolt action) when I was 4 (FOUR) years old!!!!!  I was taught from the get go about firearm safety.  We had a built in gun cabinet, NO LOCKS!!!!!!  Didn't matter, I knew about guns, how to handle them, and what they were capable of.  I never felt the need to pull the guns out and play with them.

Now it seems the answer is to hide guns away from children, act as if they don't exist, lock them up.  But isn't that the problem?  If kids were more familiar with guns, then there wouldn't be the need to play with them, to experiment with them.  That is, by nature, what kids do.  If you lock them away and make them off limits, then guess what, as soon as you're out of sight, they're going to do their best to get into them.

I had no curiousity as a chijld about fireamrs, because my father, and my experiences shooting them, had already answered all of my questions.   I felt no need to pull them out when there was no adult supervison, I had no curioustiy left, I was already familiar with them.  Why is this such an outrageous idea?  Why such the push to keep guns out of children's reach?  Seems the only point in that is to brainwash them into the idea that guns are bad and that they should be treated as abominations, dangerous objects to be feared.

I know, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My kids know about guns, and, I've taken them shooting.

The oldest isn't really interested in guns, the youngest
doesn't really like to shoot, and the middle one loves to
shoot.  All three I wouldn't have a problem with being
in the house with weapons unsecure.

I store my weapons securely when not using them because
of OTHER people's kids that might come over, as well as
somtone possibly breaking in and stealing them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You described my childhood except my first gun; at age four also, was a Stevens .410.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My kids know about guns, and, I've taken them shooting.

The oldest isn't really interested in guns, the youngest
doesn't really like to shoot, and the middle one loves to
shoot.  All three I wouldn't have a problem with being
in the house with weapons unsecure.

I store my weapons securely when not using them because
of OTHER people's kids that might come over, as well as
somtone possibly breaking in and stealing them.

Stealing back then wasn't really an issue.  But other kids were.  But where I was from, and at that time, most of my friends were raised the same as I, so that wasn't really a concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top