Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
I just noticed that I am unable to access links or attachments sent to me via email. One example is when I get a USPS or UPS shipment notification. There is a link attached to the email that is supposed to take you to the tracking section of the website, well my email is not letting me do this for any attachments. I have tried looking on Microsofts help and support guides but nothing I try fixes it. I did nothing new to the computer lately so I have no clue.Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Tools> Options> Security tab > remove check from the box that says "do not allow attachments........................"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is not working either,and it always has.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this Windows XP?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Windows XP and I already did the security tab option, it didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Anti-virus settings maybe ?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Checked it also and nothing. I changed nothing in my computer lately to cause this (at elast that I know of).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#7]
When you run your mouse over the the addy,does it show up in the bottom left of your window ?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When you run your mouse over the the addy,does it show up in the bottom left of your window ?

Yes it does but you can't click on it , well you can but it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#9]
If you get an e-mail saying you need to update your eBay info, don't click on any of it.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you get an e-mail saying you need to update your eBay info, don't click on any of it.  

How is this going to fix my email problems? I know all about email fraud and those are not the links I am wanting to click
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm just guessing here, but try:

Control panel > Internet Options > Advanced >

Check if "Underline links" is selected.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
i don't have OE close to me.  but open it go to options or tools.   find read.   change it from text only mode to HTML mode.    its under send, not your computers problem!!!

edit   i just found a system.    if the person who send the message, sent the message as text only mode.   you will have to copy and paste it each time
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you restart after the settings?

Mine did the very same thing for no reason at all just a few weeks ago.  Tweaked the security settings but it didn't fix it.  After I reset the computer, it was working again.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife gets emails every day from church for their daily blog. It has always worked as an attachment you can click and take right to the site. It also has stopped working so I assumed it was my computer's problems.Even UPS or USPS tracking links no longer work, and they always have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My wife gets emails every day from church for their daily blog. It has always worked as an attachment you can click and take right to the site. It also has stopped working so I assumed it was my computer's problems.Even UPS or USPS tracking links no longer work, and they always have.

___

I'm just guessing here, but try:

Control panel > Internet Options > Advanced >

Check if "Underline links" is selected.

Does this work?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Underlined links is checked and still no workie
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

__

Bear with me...

If you receive any .txt or .doc files with linkys, are these link hot?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

__

Bear with me...

If you receive any .txt or .doc files with linkys, are these link hot?

I don't have a clue????
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#20]
It showed up as a hotlink but I could not click it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#21]
TAG...same deal
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm just guessing, though it seems a couple of you are experiencing problems with OLE, or object linking and embedding.  I've gone through my system and on-line for resolution.  

Are you sure nothing has been added to your system...spy-blocker, anti-virus?  Lemme know...I'll continue to fuss with this....

Ed
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Every once in a while,I get problems with outlook express.sometimes it says identity log on could not be started.I know this isn't your problem,but what fixed my problem everytime was running AdAware.

It had something to do with cookies from questionable sites,but after running a spyware program,it fixed it right away. :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I use Trend Micro the same people that make Housecall PC cleaner. I have no viruses adn no spyware, that my program found.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Sometimes the account identity you made in OE just breaks and you cannot fix it.

So just make a new OE account identity and start fresh. It will have the highest security settings set by default, but once you reset them it should do all the things you need it too.

If it still broke then the whole windows account is toast so now you have to make a new account to sign onto. I have not seen that happen since XP was in beta, but I guess it is still possible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you make a new account?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#28]
open OE  click tools and then account.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Got it taken care of but it didn't fix the issue.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Still not working. I created a new OE account from scratch and nothing. I am not sure what is going on as this problem affects my wife's email account also. No attachments will work.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Still not working. I created a new OE account from scratch and nothing. I am not sure what is going on as this problem affects my wife's email account also. No attachments will work.

Have you gone into, Tools, then Options, then Security, and unchecked "Do not allow attachments...", and uncheck "Block Images," and checked "Internet Zone [Less Secure..." ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I did do that already and had my wife do that in her setting and still not working. Whatever has happened is affecting her email attachments and mine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Maybe your antivirus software or firewall software is stopping them before they get to OE.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maybe your antivirus software or firewall software is stopping them before they get to OE.

I have Trend Micro adn have checked the setting. Is there somthing particular I should be looking for? I have not changed any features on this since configuring it months ago. This is really starting to suck ass!All the online help searches turn up nothing that works
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Does it otherwise act normal?  When unhooked from the internet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Try shutting down antivirus, firewall, and whatever anti-whatever programs you have, send yourself an email with an attachment and then check if you can receive it.

If it works, start turning programs back on one at a time as you keep resending the email w/attachment to yourself over and over. The process of elimination…
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Try shutting down antivirus, firewall, and whatever anti-whatever programs you have, send yourself an email with an attachment and then check if you can receive it.

If it works, start turning programs back on one at a time as you keep resending the email w/attachment to yourself over and over. The process of elimination…

I will try that when I get home from work and Robert2011, thanks for sticking around for this crap!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Does it otherwise act normal?  When unhooked from the internet?

Yes, everything seems fine, only problem is the attachments. Sorry to everyone for all the BTT's.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Got it fixed!!!! Don't know the reason or why it is fixed but I went to Set Program and Access defaults and went to Micrsoft setting and under email it was showing Microsoft. I switched it to Outlook Express and it is working. I don't know how it would have changed in the first place but it worked. Anyone care to try to explain why? thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Anyone care to try to explain why?

It's Microsoft.  It's fooked.  Dismissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top