Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting the pic, even if it is just cerimonial and riveted in the sheath
it looks like it could be used as a weapon, and it certainly doesn't fit in with the
zero tolerance policy being implemented in most areas.  Seems like discrimination to me
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]

It's only Canada.....What do you expect, common sense?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 It's only Canada.....What do you expect, common sense?

You mean, like OUR supreme court?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Those Kirpans are purely decorative, and as dull as  butter knife.

I don't have a problem with it.

Yeah but the tip of the blade has a point and that is all that matters. You could shank the shit out of someone with it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Stupid flappy headed Canadians.
coolpark.free.fr/South%20Park/Fonds/terrence_et_Philip02.jpg

Not to fear,  the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen will protect your children from the knife-wielding Sikh-ohs who are in their schools!

renandstimpy.org/img/218_3.jpg

CJ

You might not be able to see it, but your second pic says

"HAY GUYS I'VE HAD A COMPUTER FOR A WEEK AND I THINK HOTLINKING IS KEWL!!1"

eta: I clicked on it, it took me to the same pic
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wonder if a Japanese student would be allowed to carry a katana?

He can carry a chrysanthemum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if a Japanese student would be allowed to carry a katana?

He can carry a chrysanthemum.

But, WHAT ABOUT NINJAS?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I read about the Sikhs, it sounds like a kick ass religion. Seem like solid folk. The Libertarians of religion.All sounds good except apparently the women are not allowed to trim/pluck/cut any body hair. Makes me remember the 70's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Someone really needs to start some sort of NON CHRISTIAN church were you must possess and worship firearms ( mainly military firearms)
the NFA GCA68 and 86 all violate our religious beliefs therefore they do not apply to us

can't be christian or it will get burnt down

How about Unitarian Universalist?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

does Canada even *have* an ammended "freedom of religion" somewhere?

They have had a written equivalent of our bill of rights since 1982.

Does that include the RKBA?

Not that you'd notice. . . .  Hell, they don't even have a guarantee of freedom of SPEECH there.  Canada routinely bans books and prohibits discussions based upon content that someone deems "offensive".

Quoted:
Don't the Sikh's hate moslums?

Wasn't aware of it, but I know the Hindus have oppressed them.

Quoted:
Who/what do you think prompted the Sikhs to require their men to carry a weapon?

Probably the peaceful, gentle Hindus.

Quoted:
I am converting to the Church of the Beagle. ... Bow to your new and cute god.
comp.uark.edu/~dmgill/5.jpg

You bastard!  Now I don't know whether to stay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog or wondering if there is a god!

Quoted:
Sikhs are badasses.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

+1.  Every Sikh I've ever worked with or dealt with has been a decent, honest person.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am converting to the Church of the Beagle. ... Bow to your new and cute god.
comp.uark.edu/~dmgill/5.jpg

You bastard!  Now I don't know whether to stay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog or wondering if there is a god!

Betsey (and her pups) says there is a reason they are spelled the way they are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Court allows Sikh knife in school
From correspondents in Ottawa
March 03, 2006
www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18334128%255E1702,00.html

"Religious tolerance is a very important value of Canadian society," the ruling said.

What a crock that is.  Try preaching that homosexuality is an abomination before God in Canada.  That would be hate speech.  So much for freedom of religion in Canada...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't the Sikh's hate moslums?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't aware of it, but I know the Hindus have oppressed them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Who/what do you think prompted the Sikhs to require their men to carry a weapon?

Probably the peaceful, gentle Hindus.

AS Usual the Muslims apologists here dont seem to acknowledge their persecution of entire peoples.
Here is some of the stuff i got about Sikhs, Seems they have suffered terribly under the "moghuls" (Muslims) and are aligned with the Hindus against them.
                 "Mogul emperors ruled a large area of South Asia from the 16th century until the end of the 18th century. They attempted to force convert the Sikhs to Islam, but were unsuccessful. It has been said of one of the Sikh Gurus (considered by many Sikhs to have been the last guru) that "Had there been no Guru Gobind Singh, the entire country would have gotten circumcised" i.e. been force converted to Islam.
An invasion by Great Britain triggered the Sikh Wars (1845-1849). The British successfully gained control over all of India. After independence in 1947, occupied India was partitioned on religious grounds into a mostly Muslim Pakistan and mostly Hindu India. A mass migration of Sikhs and Hindus from Pakistan to India and a reverse migration of Muslims resulted, with immense loss of life. Some Sikhs have been seeking an independent homeland since the late 1940's. "
               "Over time, then, Sikh identity, which in Baba Nanak’s time was essentially open and fluid, came to be predicated on a fierce hostility to Muslims, who were depicted in Sikh lore as evil, bloodthirsty monsters. This image of the Muslim as the religious ‘other’ continues to powerfully resonate in contemporary Sikh popular memory. This found its most virulent _expression in the massacre of large numbers of Muslims by Sikhs in eastern Punjab in the wake of the Partition and killings of Sikhs by Muslims in western Punjab. Even today latent feelings of hostility between Sikhs and Muslims remain strong.

HEre is some of thier history interacting with "them"
Banda Singh Bahadur (1670 to 1715)
The great Sikh soldier and martyr who avenged the death of Guru Gobind Singhs two younger sons. He was born as Lachhman Das in 1670 at Rajouri in Jammu to Rajput parents. He spent many years in hindu monasteries in central India and established a ashram at Nanded in Maharashtra where he lived for fifteen years before meeting Guru Gobind Singh. He was given the name “Banda” meaning slave of the Guru and became a Khalsa. His name was changed to Gurbax Singh but he was popularly known as Banda. When Guru Gobind Singh was in the south at Deccan he sent Banda to Punjab to punish the enemies of the Khalsa. He attacked Samana in 1709 and captured Sirhind in 1710. The killer of Guru Gobind Singh’s two sons Wazir Khan the ruler of Sirhind was also killed. Banda Singh Bahadur became the leader of the Khalsa following the death of Guru Gobind Singh and struck coins in the name of Guru Gobind Singh. In 1712 Banda conquered the Lohgarh Fort. A huge army of 20,000 men amassed by the muslim governor of Lahore besieged Banda for eight months at a fort in Gurdaspur in 1715. Banda Singh Bahadur along with 600 Sikhs were finally captured and brought to Delhi where they were all tortured to death for refusing to convert to Islam.

Baba Deep Singh (1680? to 1762)
Baba Deep Singh was a great Sikh scholar who became a soldier and martyr for the defense of Sikhism. Not much is know about his early life but when he visited Anandpur Sahib in 1700, he became a Khalsa and decided to stay. There he learned Gurmukhi from Bhai Mani Singh along with horse riding, archery as well as other arms training. Baba Deep Singh met Guru Gobind Singh at Damdama Sahib where Guru Gobind Singh told him to start preaching the message of Sikhism. Between 1715 and 1728 Baba Deep Singh and Bhai Mani Singh produced a number of hand written copies of the Guru Granth Sahib for distribution among the Sikhs. When Bhai Mani Singh became the head granthi at the Golden Temple, Baba Deep Singh stayed on as the head at Damdama Sahib. In 1710 Baba Deep Singh joined Banda Singh Bahadur in the battle of Sirhind. Baba Deep Singh was also a survivor of the Chotta Ghalughara (Small Holocaust) in 1755 when 10,000 Sikhs were killed. In 1762 Ahmed Shah Abdhali the Afghan invader ordered the Golden Temple blown up and the sacred pool filled in with refuse. Baba Deep Singh came out of scholarly retirement at Damdama Sahib and asked Sikhs to march with him to Amritsar to avenge the desecration. Along the way to Amritsar 5,000 Sikhs joined Baba Deep Singh. On the outskirts of Amritsar Baba Deep Singh and the heavily outnumbered Sikhs fought two fierce battles against a mughal force of 20,000. In the second engagement Baba Deep Singh was fatally wounded in the neck but had vowed to die in the precincts of the Golden Temple. Although mortally wounded Baba Deep Singh was able to continue fighting until he was able to make his way to the Sacred Pool of the Golden Temple where he finally expired.

C'est le vie.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#16]
bow down to the ar15 god
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've heard of more than one account of an elementary school child being suspended for bringing one of those chintzy "Wisconsin Cheeseman" type butter knives to lunch.

IIRC in school they even banned plastic knives!  Dem things are dangerous...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouu, ouu, I know!  

the ROP?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
From what I read about the Sikhs, it sounds like a kick ass religion. Seem like solid folk. The Libertarians of religion.All sounds good except apparently the women are not allowed to trim/pluck/cut any body hair. Makes me remember the 70's.

They make up for it by fucking like it's a fight.

Some of the best I've ever had.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sikhism is a cool religion.  Not because of the knives, just in general.

+1 sikhs are good they believe in sex and they are fierce fighters. They tend to fight the "R.O.P."
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sikhs are badasses.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

I originally thought that it read 'Sith' and it was some sort of Star Wars/comic book/nerd/made up religion.

anyway, more power to 'em

vive la resistance (I'm suprised the french have a word for resistance)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Multi-cultural of course, Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, ARs

Heretic.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a pic somewhere of an Army Chaplin blessing Garands during WWII...

It would help establish a religous precedent for bearing arms. If it's good enough for the gov't....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've always wondered if the red jewel the women put on their forehead is permanently embedded or if it just has a sticky backside to it.  Anybody know the story on that?

The Bindi/Tilaka is actually Hindu. It's worn by women to represent the location of the spiritual third eye, among other things. Some men wear it, too, these days. It was originally made of an herbal paste and applied as a cosmetic (I don't believe it was ever tattooed), but these days you can get bindis in various colors, shapes, and decorations (usually colored or metallic beads) that are disposable, self-adhesive felt. I remember one of my classmates in 7th grade brought several packs back from her trip to India, and me and a few other of the class slackers wore them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Can they take these "much needed to practice their religion" weapons on planes too?  I mean, if you can't pray in the air while fondling your pointy knife it's religous persecution... Amazing, really.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Jesus said that whoever doesn't have a sword, he should sell his garment and buy one. Therefore, as I am a Christian, I get to carry a sword wherever I want.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Jesus said that whoever doesn't have a sword, he should sell his garment and buy one. Therefore, as I am a Christian, I get to carry a sword wherever I want.

While naked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"The kirpan is a religious symbol, it is never used as a weapon."

I don't get it

Use your nose, smell the bs
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Can christian children carry cross shaped beating sticks? How about a copy of the spear used to pierce Jesus's side?
I am so sick of the one sided political/religious correctness. A Sikh is allow to carry a knife (even if it is only ceremonial) but a christian kid can't wear a cross shaped pendant?
Makes me look forward WWIV just a little bit more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top