Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2001 7:25:08 PM EDT
I am looking to dehumidfy my new safe.  I am storing guns and cameras so there is wood and leather in there as well as steel.

I have heard that the dryrods will dry out leather and wood.  Is that true?

Is silica gell or desiccant better than a dryrod?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
any suggestions???
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The dryrod is better because it never stops working, and you don't have to 'recharge' it.

Silica gel is really for something that you have to pack in a tight container. You throw in the silica gel to absorb the residual moisture thats in the container/air.

The dryrod only puts out something like 15 watts of heat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a very small light. Kinda like a nite light. You can fine the parts at the hardware stoer & wier it up. The heat is the thing. Plus you have a light source in the safe. Bulbs are a dime a dozen. Whole thing will run 5-10 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a very small light. Kinda like a nite light. You can fine the parts at the hardware store & wire it up. The heat is the thing. It causes the air to move & dry. Plus you have a light source in the safe. Bulbs are a dime a dozen. Whole thing will run 5-10 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sort of depends on if you have a fireproof safe and you are willing to compromise the fireproofing running a cord through the safe wall.  Several years ago a co-worker had a fire travel right along the dryrod cord to the interior of his safe where it ignited the carpeting ruining much of the contents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top