Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/13/2001 7:25:08 PM EDT
I am looking to dehumidfy my new safe. I am storing guns and cameras so there is wood and leather in there as well as steel. I have heard that the dryrods will dry out leather and wood. Is that true? Is silica gell or desiccant better than a dryrod?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 9:16:45 PM EDT
btt
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:13:52 PM EDT
any suggestions???
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:30:05 PM EDT
The dryrod is better because it never stops working, and you don't have to 'recharge' it. Silica gel is really for something that you have to pack in a tight container. You throw in the silica gel to absorb the residual moisture thats in the container/air. The dryrod only puts out something like 15 watts of heat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:40:33 PM EDT
I use a very small light. Kinda like a nite light. You can fine the parts at the hardware stoer & wier it up. The heat is the thing. Plus you have a light source in the safe. Bulbs are a dime a dozen. Whole thing will run 5-10 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:41:29 PM EDT
I use a very small light. Kinda like a nite light. You can fine the parts at the hardware store & wire it up. The heat is the thing. It causes the air to move & dry. Plus you have a light source in the safe. Bulbs are a dime a dozen. Whole thing will run 5-10 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2001 3:53:27 PM EDT by semiauto]
Sort of depends on if you have a fireproof safe and you are willing to compromise the fireproofing running a cord through the safe wall. Several years ago a co-worker had a fire travel right along the dryrod cord to the interior of his safe where it ignited the carpeting ruining much of the contents.
Top Top