BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 5:23:36 PM EDT
When will this show up in the EE ?

WFTV.com
Rifle Stolen From FP&L Nuclear Plant
story here

POSTED: 6:00 pm EST March 2, 2006

HUTCHINSON ISLAND, Fla. -- A semiautomatic rifle and a thermal rifle sight were stolen from Florida Power & Light Co.'s St. Lucie Nuclear Plant, according to a sheriff's report.

The plant's head of security told a deputy that a supervisor noticed the Bushmaster M4-A3 .223-caliber rifle and the $11,000 accessory missing just after 8:00 p.m. on Feb. 21.

"We have extensive security measures in place at the plant ... multiple layers of security which include a highly trained and qualified security force," FPL spokeswoman Rachel Scott said Thursday. She declined to comment further.

Sheriff's spokesman Mark Weinberg also declined to comment, citing the ongoing investigation.

Authorities had no suspects, according to the report.

The weapon was last taken out of an unlocked but sealed storage box in April 2005 when it was fired at a range. No ammunition was stolen, the report said.

In April 2004, FPL officials removed six Wackenhut Corp. security guards at the St. Lucie plant after an audit found they skipped part of their rounds, taking shortcuts meant to detect and prevent fires.

Elsewhere, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission reported Tuesday that it is reviewing security issues at Turkey Point nuclear power plant, about 25 miles south of Miami, also operated by FPL.

Neither FPL nor the NRC would discuss what led to the review by the Augmented Inspection Team, formed to review circumstances "surrounding more significant issues at NRC-licensed facilities," according to a Feb. 17 news release from the agency that monitors nuclear facilities.

Scott said previously the company had independently investigated the issues at Turkey Point and moved to correct problems, "and that's what the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is reviewing."

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
boat-accident-unfortunate
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
***Shoves gun under chair***
Oh uh, yeah...
That sucks... Yeah...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd help look for it, but apparently M4s do not produce enough heat to show up even in this new-fangled thermal scope I found on the side of the road.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When will this show up in the EE ?

The plant's head of security told a deputy that a supervisor noticed the Bushmaster M4-A3 .223-caliber rifle and the $11,000 accessory missing just after 8:00 p.m. on Feb. 21.

WOW that is an expensive setup.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Who at FP&L do I call? I'll sell them my stock Bushmaster as a replacement...cheap!....Only $8000......
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
what does a power plant security guard need an $11,000 NV scope for?....Nighttime sniper situations?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They put a thermal scope on a Bushmaster???  Not knocking Bushy, I own one. But if I had a thermal scope I wouldn't put it on an 5.56 AR.  I opt for a M25, M40A3, PSG1, or a SR-25, but not a 5.56 caliber weapon.  That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I used to fish out by it

MUST have been someone on the inside, theres no way in HELL they could gain access to anywhere on site to gain the weapon, let alone know where they are stored and when.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
my family lives across the river from that plant.  they've been in the shit ever since 911. they're the closest nuke plant to kennedy space center, so the NG have been all over the joint.

of course it's bush's fault
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Whoever has it I will give you $5K for the scope no questions asked. IM me if you want to do business.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
With that scope you could see through school walls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to fish out by it

MUST have been someone on the inside, theres no way in HELL they could gain access to anywhere on site to gain the weapon, let alone know where they are stored and when.

You could get there by boat fairly easy, not much in security in all  the channels they have AND you Could get into the building if you were good.
I have been there a few times and always look around for sceurity leaks, ALL KINDS.

HELL anyone could have taken it, all the const. work going on there........

THIS IS A NUKE facitlity, and security is slack as hell

ETA: This is the one in Homestead ... right?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
what does a power plant security guard need an $11,000 NV scope for?....Nighttime sniper situations?

No doubt. Probably has a sniper-style 14.5" bbl, too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I use a $25,000 Thermal Imager at work, we can't see through anything but air & smoke, can't even see through glass.  But you can instantly tell the temperature difference of any surface.  You can look at the wall and tell where the wires are running, you tell where a person was sitting on a couch.  You can look into a parking lot and tell what cars have recently been running, and who was running the AC and who was not.  You can even tell if someone has run water in the sink recently.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm off to check EE!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They put a thermal scope on a Bushmaster???  Not knocking Bushy, I own one. But if I had a thermal scope I wouldn't put it on an 5.56 AR.  I opt for a M25, M40A3, PSG1, or a SR-25, but not a 5.56 caliber weapon.  That's just wrong.

Whats wrong with that? I put (probibly) the same scope on a 5.56 M249.... probibly a PAS-13

-Roth
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have you ever looked through a thermal weapon sight?

You'd be better off with your imagination.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well i tried to make a joke,but i guess i failed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, you suck...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#20]
forget the rifle, im more concerned at the name of the place...

In April 2004, FPL officials removed six Wackenhut Corp. security guards

WACKENHUT CORP????   ohmyeffinggawd   they name the security company Wackenhut.

for those of you without the beavis and butthead type of mind ( wack-en-hut )

im hoping whoever has this is smart enough to swap out the reciever and discard of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I got the joke.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
forget the rifle, im more concerned at the name of the place...

In April 2004, FPL officials removed six Wackenhut Corp. security guards

WACKENHUT CORP????   ohmyeffinggawd   they name the security company Wackenhut.

for those of you without the beavis and butthead type of mind ( wack-en-hut )

im hoping whoever has this is smart enough to swap out the reciever and discard of it.

Wackenhut is one of the oldest security companies in the U.S.  They also handle some fairly high-speed contracts and facilities and employ all kinds of former secret-squirrel types.

On the other hand, they also employ you basic run-of-the-mill wannbe mall-ninja doofus.

BC
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky for you it landed in a nest of domesticated literalists. If you'd'a stirred up a mound of the wild ones, your bones would be picked clean by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top