Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 2:43:40 PM EDT
Does anyone here relic hunt? I ordered a detector, today. With all of the Civil War areas around here, I am bound to find some stuff. I think my kids will kind of like the whole digging for treasure thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:08 PM EDT
Love to , but the only thing I would find around here is empty beer cans.

It would be cool to visit some WWII battle sites, like this chick:

The Serpents Wall
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
Hope you spent some money and got a very good one. The lower priced ones are not set up to reject junk metals
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:00:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:05:21 PM EDT
Yea, I do some detecting every once in a while, not like I used to though. When I first got into it several years ago I was pursuing it pretty hot 'n heavy. I researched my area for old fort's, camp's, churches, etc. and would try my best to gain access to them if possible. Many time's the property would be
inaccessible for various reason or if I could get to it, it would be covered in so much trash i.e. scrap metal or pull tabs, that it would make for difficult terrain.

My favorite spot's have been on old football field's. Note that I said "ON" old football field's, and not under stand's or bleacher's. Not to say that stand's or bleacher's aren't productive, but man you wouldn't believe the coinage I have pulled off of the field itself, not to mention ring's, button's, and other odd jewelry.

My best find's so far are a 1956 University of Texas Class ring, 1897 Quarter Dollar, 1901 V-Nickle, Buffalo Nickle's, oodle's of Wheat Penny's, homemade ring's, oodle's of old metal button's, and various artifact's from day's of yore. There are only a couple of civil war related site's in my area and they are not accessible for me, so I don't have that as an option. I just go for civilian stuff for now.

So what kind of detector did you get?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:08:32 PM EDT
I went to ASU for 2 years , and on weekends me and a changeing group of about 9 guys would go hiking and camping & shooting in remote areas - alot of times around old ghost towns , i observed lotts of people , usually on ATV's with metal detectors in these areas , and i would ask them if they ever found any thing good -- usually they wouls say that they found mostly old bullets , and junk , one guy said he found 7 silver dollars buried in a metal box that were stuck together !
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:25:04 PM EDT

So what kind of detector did you get?

I decided to start out simple and inexpensive. I ordered a White's Prizm II. It seemed to offer alot for the money. If I really get into it and want something a little fancier, I can give this one to my daughters for when they tag along.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:51:59 PM EDT
White's is a great detector. I'm not familiar with the Prizm II, but it will get you started. I bought the Quatum II several years back for $350 (retailed for $500), and its been a great unit. If and when you get ready to upgrade, contact a local White's dealer in you area and try to get them to come down on the price. Retail price's are way overpriced in my opinion. My father in law bought the top of the line Spectrum XLT several years ago for $1,000 and the retail was $500, see what I mean. The XLT is a billy bad ass as far as detector's go though.

If you hit the beach, do yourself a favor and pick up a screened scooper before you go, it makes a world of difference. Remember, you've got to dig through the trash to get to the cash
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:57:48 PM EDT
I've often thought of buying a detector and doing a little snooping around. My in-laws have over 100 acres of farmland in Ireland I'd love to detect.
Someday
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:01:46 PM EDT
I have two Tesoro detectors, and very much enjoy the hobby. The very first thing, ever, at all, including trash, tha I dug up was an 8mm 18k men's band.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:17 PM EDT
It's going to take a while to get the hang of your detector. Don't give up if you only find trash in the beginning. It took me almost a month to train my mind to work my first metal detector properly. That was quite a while ago and I am sure the new low-end detectors are much better.
I have a Minelab Explorer XS that makes so many different sounds that it was like starting all over again. After many hours, though, I can guess with great accuracy what I am about to dig.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:20:38 PM EDT
I have a White's MXT and enjoy it...do your homework about your community. sometimes there is a woods where homes were 100 years ago. it takes some time to learn to distinquish between nickels and pull tabs but it is fun enough while you are learning to make it worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:36:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By James23:
Love to , but the only thing I would find around here is empty beer cans.

It would be cool to visit some WWII battle sites, like this chick:

The Serpents Wall

Cool site,thanks for posting it.
Top Top