Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 2:43:33 PM EDT
Are these boots any good? Its time to buy a new set and i need a set of boots that are side zip. Im looking to spend under 200 bucks for a pair of boots. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear they are that comfortable.  I just ordered the 8inch side zip.  Should be here any day
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a pair once, they were good boots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i just picked up a pair of bates "stealth" boots at academy outdoors. I like them a lot.

i don't think they will hold up well to HARD field use but for normal wear should be fine. side zip <not gusseted for waterproofing> rubber soles over some kind of foam like plastic. leather and nylon uppers.

i was kinda surprised you can't really get a GOOD pair of field boots for under 200.00 anymore. my issue army boots finally wore out after 20 years of use last month.

i don't give these boots more than a couple of years tops, tht said they are without a doubt the most comfortable i have ever owned. wear like a good pair of sneakers.

oh yea, they were 59.99

I have these same ones and have been happy with them...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
never had them, but a LOT of guys i know swear by them.

personally i wear corcoran marauders.  i like a higher rise on my boot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the steel toe version of that boot. Only weak spot I have found in two pairs of them is the plastic side zippers will bust teeth out if you lace them up too tight. PIA I know if you like them real tight but zip them up first then tighten the laces. Kinda defeats the purpose of the boot.

Good general knocking around boot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of Bates enforcers for my part-time LE work.  They are Ok for the money.  I think I paid under $50 for them.  For hunting/fishing/hiking/etc, I don't really think they are adequate.

I have a pair of Danner Acadias that were in the $200 range, which are excellent.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to wear Bates while working in my armory, and for boots & ute's runs.  They were like snearkers.  However, they would be quickly destroyed in the field.  They had very soft leather.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Have to wear them for work easy on easy off. about $69.00 round here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Bates were great for all tasks [they survived as maintainer boots for two years.  They finally did what most of my boots do, they split on the sole where the ball of my foot is; that after another year of lighter use].  I'm not sure if I'll get another pair of Bates or if I'll get Danners next.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear mine any time I wear long pants other than going to work
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I am wearing the same pair of Bates Enforcers side zip, gusseted, steel toed that I bought 5 years ago.  As anyone who has been around me knows, I am a fatass, and I am hard on boots.  My previous job was in concrete and steel, and they did great.  My hobby is railroad photography which has steel planks, spikes, concrete and wood ties, welded and jointed rail, and all kinds of ballast.  They look like hell, but are 100%.

I will have to buy another pair soon, but I'm gonna have to go to 14 4E.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a pair that I bought off of the sportsmans guide for about $30 a couple of years ago. They've held up surprisingly well.

I think they were on the sg because of a defect in the eyelets ... two of them broke off shortly after I got the boots. I reattached them with epoxy and they've been great ever since.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had 2 pairs of Enforcers and they are great boots. One pair I've worn every work day for 2 years and they have heald up very well. The other pair are my dress boots
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
The other pair are my dress boots

They do polish well, don't they.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Now that I think about it though, I didn' like the way the eyes bunched up when I'd tighten the laces on my Bates.  That drove me crazy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple pair of Bates boots, one pair of Bates lites 10" combat boot, and a pair of cowboy boots. They are very well made, and so far have held up well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top