Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, I really don't buy into the all this inter-service rivalry.

I think the Marines are outstanding!
After all, their principal purpose is to ensure that the Army doesn't have to get their feet wet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I always hear that about the marines getting the stuff the Army throws away, I hear it from former marines.

To answer your question about naming one thing:

The M1A1 tank was given to the marines from the Army when they starting getting M1A2s

Other items that they have followed the Army's lead on are:

1911 pistol stamped "Model 1911A1 U.S. Army" carried by marines
M16A1 rifle
HMMWVs
M4 carbine
Aimpoints and ACOGs

and, sir, the Stryker is not a LAV. But, the LAV does use the Bradley turret.

We've posted this a thousand times over, both services are necessary and good at what they do, no need to cry about being under the Navy, you are. Sorry, bro. Just be proud.

Ummm, yeah it is. They modified the suspension and got rid of the amphibious drive system.
LAV-25 is a specialized vehicle.

I believe M1's were FORCED on the USMC to "standardize" MBT's. The USMC was worried about the amount of sea-lift needed for the heavier M1's as compared to the M60's. As well as the amount of support the M1's would need, being greater than the M60's requirements. USMC's M1's were new builds for them.

One funny thing about the USMC they try and spec out equipment in such a way that it will fit on their exsisting tranport vehicles. The Army spec's out stuff then wonders why it won't fit into USAF planes properly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well if you are dumping me (and yes I'm USMC), into that catagory you are gravely mistaken.
You are making an All Encompassing generalization about Marines and using a broad stroke to paint all into "your" catargory.   It sounds a little like you had a bad experience with a few and now dispise all of us for their behavior.  I guess one bad apple ruins the whole bunch?
And please Site anywhere I have done any chest thumping?

No, my friend. My comments certainly did not include you directly, as I don't recall you having said anything like what I'm taking issue with.

Sadly, however, the attitudes I am discussing seem to be rather prevalent in the USMC.

While I was at USNA, with only ONE exception, every single USMC officer assigned to the place was an absolute arrogant asshole who thought their shit didn't stink. Too many Marines on this board seem to think the same way. Yes, those DO ruin it for the rest.

With the one exception noted (He was a USMC pilot), I would not have followed a single one of those officers to the chow hall, let alone across a defended beach. All I know of the guys here is what they type, so that conclusion is pending, but what I'm reading doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

ETA: BTW, it's "cite", not "site".
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Here are a few examples of things the Marine Corps developed, or fielded first:
M-240 MGs

For the love of all that is holy, if you are going to loudly proclaim the supremacy of the Corps, please make sure that you get your facts straight.

The M240 was in Army adopted the M240 for use in tanks in in 1977. This predates its adoption by the Corps for the LAV-25 by several years.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

M-16A2s
M-16A4s

Name one thing that the Marine Corps gets from the Army, used or otherwise.

Hummm, seems like the USAF had the M16 before the USMC & the USAF was feilding the GAU series weapons before the USMD "developed" the M4.

Oh and who in there right mind would want to take credit for the shitty A2 & it's 3 shot burst feature that had a extremly crappy trigger pull.

Unless the Marines could not matain trigger control and had to spray and prey in order to hit anything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How come I never see any posts from insecure Soldiers who feel compelled to just randomly point out how they are not part of the Navy (even though their logo says "Deptartment of the Navy" in big letters)?  Seems like some of the Marines are feeling insecure......

Because Soldiers don't have idiots running around saying that the Army is something it isn't.

I'm going to explain this one more time for all of the guys that are still confused.

There is a Department of the Navy. It is run by the Secretary of the Navy. The Secretary of the Navy is in charge of the Navy and the Marine Corps. The Navy and the Marine Corps are two completely seperate organizations who report to the same department. That department is the Department of the Navy.

The Marine Corps is in fact a part of the Department of the Navy. The Department of the Navy and the Navy are two separate things. One is a branch of the military. The other is a bureaucratic organization tasked with the administration and control of TWO separate branches of the military.

Trying to say that the Marine Corps is a branch of the Navy is like saying that the Navy is the transportation and support wing of the USMC. It is not correct.

Let’s not get confused about my point here. The Marine Corps and the Navy are sister services. We cooperate very well, and often assist each other in numerous ways. The Navy even provides all of the medical and dental support for the Marine Corps.

However, the fact remains that the Marine Corps is not a part of the Navy. It is a sea service, hence the name, that reports to the SecNav. The Marine Corps and the Navy are completely separate, albeit highly cooperative, branches of the military.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh and who in there right mind would want to take credit for the shitty A2 & it's 3 shot burst feature that had a extremly crappy trigger pull.

Unless the Marines could not matain trigger control and had to spray and prey in order to hit anything.

Yeah, you doggies never really did grasp that whole rifle shooting/marksmanship thing, huh?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Insecurity is such an ugly thing....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

M-240 MGs

For the love of all that is holy, if you are going to loudly proclaim the supremacy of the Corps, please make sure that you get your facts straight.

The M240 was in Army adopted the M240 for use in tanks in in 1977. This predates its adoption by the Corps for the LAV-25 by several years.  

Yep we were servicing the COAX on the M60 for quite a few years before the Corps had the 240.

M60 Series Tank
The M60 Patton main battle tank is now primarily found in US Reserve and National Guard units, but served as the primary US main battle tank for two decades prior to the introduction of the M1. Developed from the M48 Patton series, the M60 was fitted with a 105mm main gun and manned by a four-man crew. Criticized for its high profile and limited cross-country mobility, this durable tank proved reliable and underwent many updates over its service life. Initially produced in 1960, over 15,000 M60s were built by Chrysler and first saw service in 1961. Production ended in 1983, but 5,400 older models were converted to the M60A3 variant ending in 1990. This tank saw action with the Israeli forces during the Yom Kippur War in both the Sinai and the Golan Heights. During Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force fielded 210 M60A1s to support the Saudi-Marine effort into Kuwait City.

Besides its main gun, the M60 series tanks are equipped with a 7.62mm M240 coaxial machine gun and 12.7mm M85 antiaircraft gun. Power is provided by a Continental AVDS-1790-2C 750 hp V-12 engine and an Allison CD-850-6/6A powershift crossdrive transmission.

Specifications
Weight 60 tons
Length 32'4"
Width 13'6"
Height 12'6"
Ground Clearance 18in  
Track Width 28in  
Forward speed 30 mph
Reverse speed 10 mph
Engine 750 hp Continental AVDS-1790 V-12 diesel
Vertical obstacle climb 49 in
Maximum width ditch 108 in
Fording Depth 48 in
Main Gun 105mm/51cal M68 rifiled gun with 63 rounds
Coaxial machinegun M240 - 7.62mm with 5,950 rounds  
Commander's machinegun M85 - .50 cal antiaircraft gun with 900 rounds
Sensors and Fire Control M21 solid state along ballistic computer, AN/VVG-2 ruby laser rangefinder usable by both commander and gunner, AN/vsg-2 Tank thermal Sights (TTS) withlaser rangerfinder and Mercury-Cadmium-Telluride (HgCdTe) IR detector for passive night and dust vision  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The U.S. Marine Corps is NOT a part of the Navy. Not in any way.

www.edwards.af.mil/archive/2004/images/usmc_logo_sm.jpg

If you say so....

lol I was tempted to post that

Marines can be so insecure.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I need to find that Gary Coleman "who gives a fuck?" image
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

M-240 MGs

I did mess that one up. I had no idea who actually brought them into the inventory first. The Marine Corps was just the first to take them off of the vehicles and convert them to infantry MGs.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Indeed. So is ignorance.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed. So is ignorance.

You should know. You're the one exhibiting it in spades.

Are you going to actually dispute anything I've posted, or just continue to prove my point?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Insecure is the one trait I would not assign to the Corps.
Arrogant, "assholes", jerks...
Sure, why not?

But insecure?
Try again.

I can't count how many soldiers and sailors I've met who've found it necessary to explain why they didn't join the Marines, or how they "almost" did.
Always something about it being "too hard".

I'll say this, though.
My Corpsman in Iraq was one of the finest fighting men I've ever known.
He was a true warrior.  

Unfortunately, his replacement was much more sailor-like.
Fat, unaggressive, lacking discipline.

And on the flip side, ALL of the Seabees were outstanding. They were incredible.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#16]
joker 581 wrote"Name one thing that the Marine Corps gets from the Army, used or otherwise. "

Here are a few: Training

Military Police school
Jump School
Ranger School
Field Artillery (FDC 13E and Forward Observer 13F)

Just to name a couple. I'm sure there are more. I've been to a few of these schools and Marines were there in class with me. I'm not pulling any punches just stating fact.
I got to attend a few Marine course as well; IMPOC and Naval Gunfire.

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
A sailor and a marine are walking along a country rode on the way back to base and come across a sheep with its head stuck in a fence.

The sailor looks at the marine and says "noone is around, we should fuck that sheep"
The marine nods dumbly and the sailor says "I'm first" and goes to work.
When he finishes, he zips up and tells the marine "you're next"

so the marine puts his head through the fence

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
OMG, Can't we just get along

Seriously, when the SHTF the United States Marine Corps have proven themselves over and over again.  
Spark all the rivalry you want, Capt. Scott O'Grady USAF was VERY HAPPY to see the Marines when they came to get him in Serbia/Bosnia.  (Basher-52)  
And when Fidel and his band of merry commie men tried crap in Grenada who is that rescued the American medical students, that's right, the USMC.  

Now, before anyone jumps on the "The Navy brought them to the fight" or the "Air Force supported them with jets" or the "ARMY took over" band wagon, realize they are part of the larger MILITARY picture.  Nobody plays alone.  

For the record, I am former USAF, but it don't matter one bit.

Bottom line:

I am proud of the USMC (And all of the services) and could give a rip if they are, or are not, under the Navy.  

(And for you equipment junkies, it was the "AIR FORCE" who first adopted them M-16 and then gave it to the rest of you infantry types )
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#19]
When you must use statements like "A Marine is worth 10 Soldiers" and show such disdain for your sister service ("We are NOT part of the Naaaaaaaaavy! "), then you are INSECURE.

If you weren't, then you'd let the admirable record of the Corps speak for itself.

But no. Instead, we get threads like this and repeated mentions of how the Marines are the only ones who polish their logo at the Vietnam Memorial, and other BS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Uniformed Marines command FAR MORE sailors, than sailors do Marines.

I've had many, many sailors work for me.  I've never worked for a sailor.

duh, you guys depend on navy ratings for all those unnecessary things marines are too lazy or stupid to do.   Like medical care.....

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The M103 tank is probably a decent example of the Marines getting stuff cheap from the Army when the Army decided they didn't want them any more. The heavy tanks had a very short service life as it was quickly made redundant by the 105mm tanks entering service which had a gun almost as good as the 120mm on the M103, was a lot more mobile, and decently armoured. The Marines figured that all these tanks were suddenly available, they were cheaper than new-build M-48A5s or M60s, so they bought them from the Army.

Ummm, yeah it is. They modified the suspension and got rid of the amphibious drive system. LAV-25 is a specialized vehicle.

Sortof. LAV-25 is a simple variant of the Pirhana II chassis by the Swiss firm MOWAG. Stryker is a simple variant of the Pirhana III, also developed by MOWAG. The one is in effect a direct development of the other.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I think there's a lot of bullshit generalization and 'painting with a broad brush' going on in this thread.

I  worked with great Marines, and shit-bird Marines during my time in the Corps.

Great Sailors, and shit-bird Sailors...Hell, some of the Corpsman we had attached to my unit were the best guys I've ever known, and I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to give me first-aid if I got hit in combat.

I worked with great Soldiers, and shit-bird Soldiers. Some of THE best training I ever got was from Army Rangers at the Jungle Warfare School, Ft. Sherman, Panama. Some of the most lackluster, undisciplined, and overweight people (in the U.S. Armed Forces) I have seen were part of an Army Reserve Engineer Company.

Never had the opportunity to work closely with any Airman, but I would assume the same applies to them.

And just my two cents - Department of the Navy, United States Marine Corps seems pretty clear to me. We may bag on being 'a part of the Navy', but call a spade a spade.

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]
You won't hear different from me. My beloved Navy was chock full of both outstanding people and complete assholes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When you must use statements like "A Marine is worth 10 Soldiers" and show such disdain for your sister service ("We are NOT part of the Naaaaaaaaavy! "), then you are INSECURE.

Or maybe just an obnoxious asshole stating an unpleasant fact?

As stated, my sailors were for the most part AWESOME under fire.

But my experience with soldiers has soured me to that sister service.
Completely unimpressive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Just an obnoxious insecure asshole.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A sailor and a marine are walking along a country rode on the way back to base and come across a sheep with its head stuck in a fence.

The sailor looks at the marine and says "noone is around, we should fuck that sheep"
The marine nods dumbly and the sailor says "I'm first" and goes to work.
When he finishes, he zips up and tells the marine "you're next"

so the marine puts his head through the fence

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You won't hear different from me. My beloved Navy was chock full of both outstanding people and complete assholes.

Yep.  The doctor that misdiagnosed my injuries and performed the wrong surgery comes to mind.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think you're projecting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
duh, you guys depend on navy ratings for all those unnecessary things marines are too lazy or stupid to do.   Like medical care.....

Or building stuff.

ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ETA: BTW, it's "cite", not "site".

Your found me out, I'm be a dumbarse Jarine
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your projecting.

No, just stating an unpleasant fact.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#32]
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yep.  The doctor that misdiagnosed my injuries and performed the wrong surgery comes to mind.  

Navy medicine.

I had my run-in with them, and then finally got a decent doc who fixed me right up, so I can't complain.

Took a LONG time and lots of pain to get there, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#34]

AFAIC, if your unit isn't a SOCOM one, there ain't a damn elite thing
about you, other than your ego.

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

M-240 MGs

Maybe he meant to say that the Marine Corps developed/fielded first the M-240G, instead of the M240-B that the Army uses. [shrug], just giving the little fella the benefit of the doubt
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You all can argue about the original post all you want, there is one FACT about the Marine Corps though -

A Marine is 10 times the fighting man than a Soldier is.

depends entirely on the Marine and the soldier. I've met more than one shitbird Marine, and I met some pretty damned dedicated soldiers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#37]
FWIW, I think the deal about getting old Army stuff was that
the Marines keep good platforms in service, and, make them work.

The Cobra springs to mind, as does the M60 series MBTs.

The Marines stuck with the M14 much longer than the Army did, IIRC.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
joker 581 wrote"Name one thing that the Marine Corps gets from the Army, used or otherwise. "

Military Police school
Jump School
Ranger School

Just to name a couple. I'm sure there are more. I've been to a few of these schools and Marines were there in class with me. I'm not pulling any punches just stating fact.

Sua Sponte,
Prib

Armor School....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

AFAIC, if your unit isn't a SOCOM one, there ain't a damn elite thing
about you, other than your ego.

+1

Gee, fellas....

I don't quite know how to say this....

Up and running.
That corny moniker doesn't all of a sudden make the Corps "more elite", though.
No more than a beret makes a soldier feel special.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed. So is ignorance.

You should know. You're the one exhibiting it in spades.

Are you going to actually dispute anything I've posted, or just continue to prove my point?

Really?

Am I the one that has been to the Naval Acadamy and can't comprehend the difference between the Navy and the Department of the Navy?

Am I the one that doesn't comprehend that the Marine Corps and the Navy are two different branches of the military?

Am I the one that can't comprehend that a simple statement that the USMC is not part of the Navy is not an attempt to bash the Navy. I have no beef with the Navy. That doesn't change the facts. The Marine Corps was established by Congress 230 years ago as a seperate branch of the military. The Marine Corps gets neither funding or command from the Navy, so how can is it a part of the Navy?

The Navy and the Marine Corps work closely together and ultimatly report to the same guy. Without the Navy, there would be no Marine Corps. These are obvious facts.

The problem is that there are still a shitload of people here who think that the Marine Corps is a part of the Navy in the same way that the Air Force was once to be part of the Army. This is not the case now, nor has it ever been.  

I have disputed everything you have posted. I started this thread with you in mind.

The reference to what we get from the Army is likewise not an Army bashing post. I fully understand that the Marine Corps has a great deal of cooperation with the Army for schools and such. I know that we have a great deal of similar equipment, and that development of said equipment is done on both sides. That element of the initial post is directed at those board members who would have us all believe that the Marine Corps gets equipment secondhand from the Army and that the Marine Corps is strictly limited to fighting with shit we find at DRMO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Military Police school
Jump School
Ranger School

Sua Sponte,
Prib

Armor School....

Facilities for our Motor Transport school as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#42]
A Ranger is taking a leak in the head when a Marine walks up to the urinal next to him and proceeds to do his business.

The Ranger finishes up and starts to exit the head. "You know," states the Marine loudly, "in the Corps, they teach us to wash our hands after we piss."

"Yeah?" replies the Ranger, "In the Army, they teach us not to piss on our hands."

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-240 MGs

I did mess that one up. I had no idea who actually brought them into the inventory first. The Marine Corps was just the first to take them off of the vehicles and convert them to infantry MGs.

You "had no idea".  That sure didn't slow you down on claiming it now did it?  I'm not evening going to address the "infantry" claim. (Armor are infantry that ride)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Military Police school
Jump School
Ranger School

Sua Sponte,
Prib

Armor School....

Facilities for our Motor Transport school as well.

Always seem to be quite a few Marines hangin' out at Ft. Leonard Wood.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Who cares!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#47]
At least the thread title was accurate!

"Misinformation about the Marine Corps"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M-240 MGs

You "had no idea".  That sure didn't slow you down on claiming it now did it?  I'm not evening going to address the "infantry" claim. (Armor are infantry that ride)

No, it didn't. I think I pointed that out when I said "I messed that up". I even clarified what I meant. In fact, I'll further clarify that the FN MAG has been out since 1958, and militaries all over the world were using it before the Army or the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps were simply the first to convert them for infantry use.  

I don't know about armor in the Army, but tankers in the Marine Corps are not infantry and don't claim to be.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

But my experience with soldiers has soured me to that sister service.
Completely unimpressive.

That's funny, my exact experience with Marines.  Take heart though,  I don't think ALL Marines are that way, there must be an honest one somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Insecure is the one trait I would not assign to the Corps.
Arrogant, "assholes", jerks...  
Sure, why not?

I can tell you why not:  In April '03 after Baghdad fell, my mixed forces team SiteSurveyTeam7 (I didn't run it, I just happened to be on it - lowly E5 here) started running missions in Iraq, our AO was Baghdad - South (Southern Baghdad and the rest of the country south of) And all my interactions w/Marines were extremely positive.  We stayed at Marine bases several times, used their fuel, food, water and supplies.  They always took great care of us and came through like champs.  IE during a mission to a former chemical/biological weapons storage site outside of An Naseriyah (the one our troops destroyed stockpiles at during GW1) 2 of our HMMV's broke down 2 days in a row.  We limped into the nearby Marine Base (at Talil I think) at a quarter to 6pm and Marine mechanics started fixing our vehicles for the next 3 hours.  Other Marines resupplied us and brought us chow.  The Marines removed parts from their working vehicles to get us operational.  This never would have happened at our motorpool back at Camp Slayer.  In fact I was put up for an Army commendation medal just for managing to get new tires, shocks replaced, and some other parts from our support motorpool.  (I made some deals with the mechanics)  Marines pulled security for us as well as other detials and I never heard one complaint.  Of cours it couldn't of ad anything to do with the fact that my OIC was a Marine Corps LTC.  

Anyway we never would have been able to accomplish our missions without Marine assistance.

Thank you     !

sst7
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top