Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 2:26:15 AM EDT
Take that, you cheap bastards who won't cough up 35 bucks.

NRA Sues Mayor Ray Nagin

Fairfax, VA-The National Rifle Association (NRA ) has filed a motion for contempt against the City of New Orleans, the mayor and the acting chief of police for failure to comply with a temporary restraining order, handed down September 12, 2005, ordering an end to all illegal gun confiscations.

"With looters, rapists and other thugs running rampant in New Orleans, Ray Nagin issued an order to disarm all law-abiding citizens," declared Wayne LaPierre, NRA executive vice president. "With no law enforcement and 911 available, he left the victims vulnerable by stripping away their only means of defending themselves and their loved ones. Now Ray Nagin thinks he's above the law, and that's just wrong."

Attorneys for NRA have exhausted all efforts to cooperate with the defendants, Mayor Nagin and Chief Riley, who repeatedly ignored the court's permanent restraining order against their illegal gun confiscations.  

"Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment," said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. "During a federally declared emergency, he abused his power and abandoned the very people he was sworn to protect. He took away the victims' freedom and their basic means of self-defense during an ill-fated and perilous time."

The motion also includes an order that all seized firearms must be returned to their rightful owners.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
For some reason I have a feeling they have no idea who they took weapons from.  Those people will never ever see their firearms returned to them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the ACLU will join in the lawsuit as well!

Good for the NRA, these assholes need to be put in their place.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The ACLU will defend the asshat nagin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Theres no place for guns in the chocolate city, theres no guns in chocolate, theres a whole bunch of nuts though.

Good for the NRA though, a tiny bit late, but better late then never.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For some reason I have a feeling they have no idea who they took weapons from.  Those people will never ever see their firearms returned to them.

Damn right. Imagine losing your Dan Wesson Pointman to these assholes.
Some NOLA Cop has a nice 1911 now. Bastards. That entire scene down there is a disgrace.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
You left out Oklahoma National Guard and California Hwy Patrol, who were featured on TV news shows leading the gun confiscations.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Yawn!

Resitance to tyranny after the fact is a bit lame  

Kudo's to the security contractors I've read about who stood up to criminal activity by LEO's on the ground when it was happening.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You left out Oklahoma National Guard and California Hwy Patrol, who were featured on TV news shows leading the gun confiscations.  

And body slamming old ladies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kudo's to the security contractors I've read about who stood up to criminal activity by LEO's on the ground when it was happening.

I missed that, what happened?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a few instances that I am aware of, LEO's tried to take vehicles for "official" use and were denied.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Theres no place for guns in the chocolate city, theres no guns in chocolate, theres a whole bunch of nuts though.

Good for the NRA though, a tiny bit late, but better late then never.

LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And body slamming old ladies.

I had an awesome opportunity to take pics of a CHP Camaro and BMW Police Motorcycle up in central CA last fall.  I sat and shot the shit with 4 CHP officers and had a good time at a truck stop, right up until they told me they just got back from NOLA.  

It was all I could do to keep my comment to "Oh, you guys were there?  I can't talk to you anymore."  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope they get it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a few instances that I am aware of, LEO's tried to take vehicles for "official" use and were denied.

Good for them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]

this kind of thing makes me happy i constantly send money to the NRA.

now if they could get working on that pesky '86 ban...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad to see the NRA taking a firm stance for once and having some balls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The NRA has never failed to stand for what is right... after all, it was the NRA that borrowed the the term "Jack Booted Thug" from a Congressman after Waco and made it famous.  That's right, the JBT is an NRA term.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I agree. As a LEO I was shocked over the way all that mess was handled.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Take that, you cheap bastards who won't cough up 35 bucks.

Actually it's $25 for anyone who buys anything gun related.  MTM ammo boxes, Browning Firearms, Redding Dies, all kinds of products come with "$10 off" membership applications.  Bravo NRA, get off your soapbox for a change and do something.  Of coarse, Nagin denies it.....
www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09_23.html

Friday, September 23, 2005
Nagin responds to NRA suit
Friday, 10:49 p.m.
Staff reports

In response to a lawsuit filed by the NRA, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Friday night that he never authorized the taking of weapons from citizens.

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit in federal court, claiming that the confiscation of guns from private citizens, as ordered by New Orleans Police Chief Eddie Compass, was a violation of the Second Amendment. On Friday, a restraining order was issued in federal court barring any further weapons from being taken.

Nagin's office issued a statement Friday that Compass made statements about taking weapons from citizens without Nagin's knowledge. Compass said no weapons had been taken.

Nagin said Friday night that he has no intention of issuing orders to confiscate weapons.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Better late than never.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to see how this turns out, will post updates.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They have a membership with no magazine that is only $10

The magazine (I get American Rifleman) ain't half bad though.  Granted I think I've seen three 'history of' articles on the Thompson the past two years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagaroni.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a membership with no magazine that is only $10

The magazine (I get American Rifleman) ain't half bad though.  Granted I think I've seen three 'history of' articles on the Thompson the past two years.

I take the magazines wiht me when I go to the dentist, or airport, or doctor, etc. I like to plant them around in hopes some libtard picks one up and has a conniption.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I take the magazines wiht me when I go to the dentist, or airport, or doctor, etc. I like to plant them around in hopes some libtard picks one up and has a conniption.

I always forget to do that.  "D'oh!"  I just tossed out my last issue (the one with the Sako Quad rifle on the cover) when the one with the M&P picture arrived the other day.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is the actual case wording... have not read it yet.

www.stephenhalbrook.com/lawsuits/nagin.pdf

Here is more news about it.
www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16224431&BRD=1395&PAG=740&dept_id=226958&rfi=6

SAF Seeks Contempt Violation Against New Orleans Mayor, Police Chief
U.S. Newswire
03/01/2006
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
BELLEVUE, Wash., March 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following Was released today by the Second Amendment Foundation:

Frustrated by the continued failure of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley to comply with a federal injunction issued last September to halt illegal gun confiscations following Hurricane Katrina and return all seized firearms to their owners, the Second Amendment Foundation and National Rifle Association have filed a motion in federal court to have both Nagin and Riley held in contempt.

SAF Founder Alan Gottlieb said the motion was made only after attorneys had exhausted all attempts to communicate and cooperate with the defendants, who have essentially ignored the federal court order. SAF and NRA took the city to federal court in September after widespread reports of gun confiscations in direct conflict with the Second Amendment and the Louisiana State Constitution.

"If Ray Nagin and Warren Riley think this lawsuit, and the court order, will just go away by pretending they don't exist, they are sadly mistaken," Gottlieb said. "Authorities in nearby Tammany Parish complied with the injunction immediately, and have agreed to the permanent restraining order. Counsel for New Orleans signed a consent order last Sept. 23, so they know this case is on the table.

"The City of New Orleans has insisted that no guns were seized, and we know that's not true," Gottlieb continued. "Our attorneys have provided the New Orleans attorney with evidence of the confiscations, including witness statements, and that information has been ignored. Authorities in New Orleans have made no attempt to comply with the consent order and return the firearms seized by police.

"Mayor Nagin seems to be suffering from the same denial that possessed him before the hurricane hit, and in the days afterward when he blamed everyone else on the map for his failure of leadership," Gottlieb observed. "We want Nagin and Chief Riley to appear in open court and testify under oath why they should not be held in contempt. They have been given every opportunity to comply with the court order and they have done nothing. They are not above the law."

---

The Second Amendment Foundation ( http://www.saf.org ) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers & an amicus brief & fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#29]
The NRA has never failed to stand for what is right... after all, it was the NRA that coined the term "Jack Booted Thug" after Waco, if I recall correctly. That's right, the JBT is an NRA term.

Actually, no, they were not the first to pick up on the term "Jack Booted Thug".  The term was used in an open letter from a Congressman.  The NRA picked up the term shortly after in a letter to its members.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
<snip>
The motion also includes an order that all seized firearms must be returned to their rightful owners.

This part is not going to happen.  One of the police officers on the site posted how when he/they found someone with a gun he/they confiscated it, disassembled it, and threw the parts into the muck in different spots around the city.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

This part is not going to happen.  One of the police officers on the site posted how when he/they found someone with a gun he/they confiscated it, disassembled it, and threw the parts into the muck in different spots around the city.

I agree but the point is they are going to be accountable for that.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Thats what I was told too parts went in the sewer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The NRA has never failed to stand for what is right... after all, it was the NRA that coined the term "Jack Booted Thug" after Waco, if I recall correctly.  That's right, the JBT is an NRA term.

WRONG it was a congress critter that coined the term JBT.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The NRA has never failed to stand for what is right... after all, it was the NRA that coined the term "Jack Booted Thug" after Waco, if I recall correctly.  That's right, the JBT is an NRA term.

I recalled incorrectly.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Thats what I was told too parts went in the sewer.

Sounds like NO should buy anyone who says they had a weapon taken a new one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Attention Virginia NRA Member!

Please Contact the Senate Courts of Justice Committee!

On Monday, March 5, the Senate Courts of Justice committee will likely consider several measures that, if passed, will further protect the rights of law-abiding firearm owners.  

To further protect the fundamental right of self-defense, Delegate Scott Lingamfelter (R-31) has offered HB 162, which enables law-abiding firearm owners to store a firearm in a locked vehicle parked in a public area. The passage of HB 162 will allow for law-abiding gun owners to have the ability to protect themselves from a violent attack during their commutes to and from work.

Yet another bill addresses the travesty that occurred when New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered the confiscation of all legally possessed firearms in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Delegate Bill Janis (R-56) is sponsoring HB 1265, a measure that prohibits the Governor, or any government agency, from suspending the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the Commonwealth during a state of emergency.  If passed by the Senate, HB 1265 will protect the lawful possession, sale, transfer, transport and carrying of firearms during an emergency or disaster, therefore ensuring that law-abiding citizens have the necessary means to protect themselves and their families, and their property if the need should arise.

Finally, on Monday the Senate Courts of Justice committee will also consider the Omnibus Firearms bill, HB 1577, which is being carried by Delegate Ben Cline (R-24). Included in this important bill are provisions that: allow for an issuing judge to authorize a designee to provide the final signature on concealed carry permits; create a “lifetime” concealed carry permit by authorizing the State Police to conduct annual criminal history checks on permit owners, and to “roll-over” all eligible and valid permits at no cost to the permit holder (permit holders who move out of their original issuing jurisdiction will have to re-apply for a new permit); eliminates the ability for a locality to require concealed carry permit applicants to submit fingerprints as part of the application process; provides a 90-day grace period for members of the armed services to renew a concealed carry permit if the permit expired while the military member was deployed; and provides a definition of “personal knowledge” for information used to prohibit issuance of a concealed carry permit.  

Please contact the Senate Courts of Justice Committee members below and strongly encourage them to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms by supporting HB 162, HB 1265, and HB 1577!

Senator Ken Stolle, Chairman (R-8): (804) 698-7508 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Richard Saslaw (D-35):  (804) 698-7535 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Fred Quayle (R-13): (804) 698-7513 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Tommy Norment (R-3): (804) 698-7503 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Louise Lucas (D-18): (804) 698-7518 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator John Edwards (D-21): (804) 698-7521 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Roscoe Reynolds (D-20): (804) 698-7520 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Nick Rerras (R-6): (804) 698-7506 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Harry Blevins (R-14): (804) 698-7514 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Ken Cuccinelli (R-37): (804) 698-7537 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Mark Obenshain (R-26): (804) 698-7526 or e-mail [email protected]

Senator Ryan McDougal (R-4): (804) 698-7504 or e-mail [email protected]

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Better late than never. But to late for those that needed their guns during the chaos that followed Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Dingell (D-MI).  A liberal, but pro-RKBA.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#39]
The only way this is going to do anybody any good is if Nagin and Riley do prison time for the violation of their confiscation victims' Civil Rights! Other than that, it's just lip service that will have no motivating impetus to prevent it from happening again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top