Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:43:18 PM EDT
I'm sure this will vary state to state. I'm specifically looking at Oregon, but all input is appreciated.

Last week I was stopped. I received a ticket and a reciept for some items the Officers found "questionable."

This evening I was stopped in the same vehicle again. I was stopped for not signaling within 100 feet of a stop sign. After retreating to his car with my license, insurance, and registation, he came back and demanded to do a search of my vehicle because of what happened when I was stopped the week prior. I said no and eventually the Officer let me go, although he was very angry.

I have two vehicles. Car # 1 and Car #2. During both stops I was in Car # 1, and I now obviously know that this car is flagged for whatever reason due to when I was originally pulled over.

My question is, if I begin driving Car # 2, and say an officer were to run my license plate, before making the actual stop, would the stuff that happened with Car # 1  show up to the officer? Or would the LEO only learn this information once he runs my drivers license?

Another question: say when I was pulled over in Car # 1, since they ran my plates, were the officers automatically made aware that I have more than one vehicle?

Both cars are registered to myself.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I received a ticket and a reciept for some items the Officers found "questionable."

Curiosity is killing me, what did they find questionable?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm sure this will vary state to state. I'm specifically looking at Oregon, but all input is appreciated.

Last week I was stopped. I received a ticket and a reciept for some items the Officers found "questionable."

What were the items in question?  Not a LEO, nor do I live in OR, but it would make the story more interesting clarify things to be informed.  I think that the LEO in your state and mine have enough sense to put 2 and 2 together to make five.  There are many ways to find out what one may be up to and/ or driving.

VT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I received a ticket and a reciept for some items the Officers found "questionable."

Curiosity is killing me, what did they find questionable?

Same here. I didn't think much of anything (legal) was questionable in Bend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I guess the first question is... what was the "questionable" stuff?  

The question about what is known when your plates are run.  That is going to change a bite depending on where you are and who's stopping you... shierff, local PD, state troopers, etc.  In general, when your license is run... we pull your DMV record and cross-reference with police records.   We also can run plates to cross-check... depending on the system, we can pull a lot of information.

As for your "questionable" stuff... there are items that is a flag for us.  Without going into details, I'm sure you can figure it out.  

If I stopped you and whatever you had was important enough for me to confiscate, well... you bet I'll write a crono about it and remark it on your record.  Of course this doesnt mean I will search you everytime... but date/time of any given remarks will be weighted before I can assume probable course for any search.

Search and seizure is touchy stuff... if you don’t give probable course, we really can’t demand a search of your person/property.  But we can always ask for consent… you give it or not, is up to you.  If you have nothing to hide… why not consent and be over with.

Me… sometime I use that as a way of checking people out.  In general, the general publics that haven’t done anything wrong will consent.  Those that don’t consent… they usually give pretty tall tale sign that they’ve done something wrong.  This is not a blanket statement… and it’ll change depending on why I stopped you.

This doesn't really answer your question, at least not directly...  but hope it gives you an idea of what's going on.

~rc
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing about you regarding what you had in your vehicle "comes up" on any screen.  While this officer wa running what is commonly referred to as a 27/28 (Vehilce & License check) the officer who pulled you over the week prior probably heard the info over the radio and alerted his buddy that you were a long-hair and possibly had 'questionable" items in your vehicle.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nothing about you regarding what you had in your vehicle "comes up" on any screen.  While this officer wa running what is commonly referred to as a 27/28 (Vehilce & License check) the officer who pulled you over the week prior probably heard the info over the radio and alerted his buddy that you were a long-hair and possibly had 'questionable" items in your vehicle.  

Actually the Officer who stopped me the first time arrived within 30 seconds of me being stopped this evening. Another 30 seconds past and a 3rd Officer came, but left a few minutes later.

If things are slow, is it common for a second Officer to stop and assist a traffic stop if they just see another LEO pull a car over?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
tag out of curiosity
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the Officer who stopped me the first time arrived within 30 seconds of me being stopped this evening. Another 30 seconds past and a 3rd Officer came, but left a few minutes later.  You just answered your own questions

If things are slow, is it common for a second Officer to stop and assist a traffic stop if they just see another LEO pull a car over?

Yes.

We're never going to find out what the "questionable items"  were,  are we?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged for "questionable" reasons.    

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Do these "questionable items" involve prosthetic naughty parts and ball gags?

Spill the beans, freak.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Spill the beans, freak.

I'm thinking mobile meth lab or an ice cream truck with "date rape mocha" popsicles
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Not going to say?  How disappointing.

I was hoping for something involving drugs, purple construction paper, marmalade and an inflatable clown sex toy.

It had to be something so out of the ordinary that he remembered you after a week and even felt it important enough that another officer needed that information immediately.

Fortunately,  I have a good friend on the force in Bend.  Email sent with link..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Spill the beans, freak.

+1 tag
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This evening I was stopped in the same vehicle again. I was stopped for not signaling within 100 feet of a stop sign. After retreating to his car with my license, insurance, and registation, he came back and demanded to do a search of my vehicle because of what happened when I was stopped the week prior. I said no and eventually the Officer let me go, although he was very angry.

I have two vehicles. Car # 1 and Car #2. During both stops I was in Car # 1, and I now obviously know that this car is flagged for whatever reason due to when I was originally pulled over.

My question is, if I begin driving Car # 2, and say an officer were to run my license plate, before making the actual stop, would the stuff that happened with Car # 1  show up to the officer? Or would the LEO only learn this information once he runs my drivers license?

Another question: say when I was pulled over in Car # 1, since they ran my plates, were the officers automatically made aware that I have more than one vehicle?

Both cars are registered to myself.

Thanks for the info

Yes and Yes. You're screwed. Stay home and Bug in.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably some Suda-Fed and Coleman Fuel!!! Spill the beans!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag for bean spillage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
1) Aluminum powder ??
2) Ammonium Nitrate Fertilizer ???
3) Diesel fuel ???
4) blue plastic barrels ??????????

Talk. You walked in here with information and a pretty face. You can't leave with both.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the Officer who stopped me the first time arrived within 30 seconds of me being stopped this evening. Another 30 seconds past and a 3rd Officer came, but left a few minutes later.

You probably aren't "flagged" in the DHSMV system, but when your tag was run and the dispatcher read your name back, the original officer heard it or recognized the vehicle and thought, "Damn, there's that little shit that got by me last week, I wonder if we can come up something good this time." After that, he showed up, but it obviously didn't pan out.  

In rural areas, if 2 officers are close enough together that they are able to back each other up, they do, particularly after dark. Very common with my guys to have one swing by and check on the other one and then leave. The city cops here, on the other hand, think nothing of having 4 or 5 guys on a traffic stop. They have the manpower to throw out like that, we don't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Incorrect.  Many agencies (including mine) will have some variation of an "F.I." flag that can be attatched to a 27/28 /29 return.  I can add an F.I. to any plate, VIN, serial # or name I run, including reason for the stop, circumstances of investigation, officer safety info....basically anyting I want, including..."This douche is a total fruit-bat...watch your six."  or  "This vehicle stopped at 123 Anystreet on XYZ date, meth and handgun recovered at stop....Reg'd owner is a known #6...."

The F.I flag is attatched at the end of the return.  If I am out of  my car and running info over the air, dispatch will clear me for info, then read off any attatched F.I. info.

Second....for the O.P.....'Questionable items'.....that's horse-shit.  I can't just take something of your's out of your car.  It's either contraband and illegal, or it's not.  If it ain't illegal and I take it....that's called theft.

BC
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect.  Many agencies (including mine) will have some variation of an "F.I." flag that can be attatched to a 27/28 /29 return.  I can add an F.I. to any plate, VIN, serial # or name I run, including reason for the stop, circumstances of investigation, officer safety info....basically anyting I want, including..."This douche is a total fruit-bat...watch your six."  or  "This vehicle stopped at 123 Anystreet on XYZ date, meth and handgun recovered at stop....Reg'd owner is a known #6...."

The F.I flag is attatched at the end of the return.  If I am out of  my car and running info over the air, dispatch will clear me for info, then read off any attatched F.I. info.

Second....for the O.P.....'Questionable items'.....that's horse-shit.  I can't just take something of your's out of your car.  It's either contraband and illegal, or it's not.  If it ain't illegal and I take it....that's called theft.

BC

Is that something you do in the returns? Or is it something that flags in your own CAD? The PD here can flag names, addresses or vehicles in their CAD, but we don't have a prayer of getting FL DHSMV to do anything like that for us.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag for the questionable stuff info.

Search and seizure is touchy stuff... if you don’t give probable course, we really can’t demand a search of your person/property. But we can always ask for consent… you give it or not, is up to you. If you have nothing to hide… why not consent and be over with.

If you don't have PC, quit hastling the person, write their ticket, and send them on their way. Why should I lose more time out of conducting my affairs while you go through my car pulling out three year old french fries and crusty pennies from under my seat? If I get pulled over our business is about the traffic violation, let's wrap it up and see you later. I'm not bagging on you in particular, but you guys have to know that stuff like that doesn't help relations between LEO and the public, come on. Who wants to be treated like a criminal on the side of the road when they were just trying to get to the store and back?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Search and seizure is touchy stuff... if you don’t give probable course, we really can’t demand a search of your person/property. But we can always ask for consent… you give it or not, is up to you. If you have nothing to hide… why not consent and be over with.

If you don't have PC, quit hastling the person, write their ticket, and send them on their way. Why should I lose more time out of conducting my affairs while you go through my car pulling out three year old french fries and crusty pennies from under my seat? If I get pulled over our business is about the traffic violation, let's wrap it up and see you later. I'm not bagging on you in particular, but you guys have to know that stuff like that doesn't help relations between LEO and the public, come on. Who wants to be treated like a criminal on the side of the road when they were just trying to get to the store and back?

Once again,  PC is not needed to search your car.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
He's not going to reveal the 'questionable' items, is he?

What's the Arfcom rule as to when we start guessing what they found?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is that something you do in the returns? Or is it something that flags in your own CAD? The PD here can flag names, addresses or vehicles in their CAD, but we don't have a prayer of getting FL DHSMV to do anything like that for us.

F.I. flag is done via ACIC.  Any officer, with any agency, in the state, can attatch an F.I. flag.  If it were a CAD only-thing....then only guys on the same CAD system would be able to see it.

It's not directly on the return, but generally comes w/in 1-2 hits after the return....unless there are a whole shitload of NCIC bulletins attatched.

It is definately the shit.

BC
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Some PD's also maintain internal lists of names and plate numbers to use caution when stopping or otherwise be on the lookout for. Officer's routine backup other officers who have called in routine traffic stops to their HQ.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#28]
tagged for info
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#29]
All that and we never find out what the questionable items were?

this thread is "questionable".
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#30]
This thread is useless without knowing what "questionable items" are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#31]
This thread is useless without knowing what "questionable items" are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure if the items in question were illegal, drugs,etc. he would have been arrested and not just given tickets. I predict this is an elusive troll who is trying to stir up some more anti LEO sentiments once again. On the chance that this is a true scenario, why don't you just start useing your signals and obey, yes I said OBEY the traffic laws in your town?hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Come on now.... be a big boy.... Fess up..... What were the "questionable" items? A Toy gun, or a loaded Mac10... big differance....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll take ski mask, handcuffs, and knife for 200 Alex.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Fess up you pervert. I'm betting it was a bunch of drag queen garb.
Wow, two pages and no one has asked if the cop shot your transvestite dog.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll put $20 on "burglary tools".  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Did the cop shoot your transvestite dog?

Some jurisdictions do have the capability to bring up previous local contact with a subject. So I guess part of your question is answered. And yes it is normal for one to stop and assist another even on "routine" stops. You can check the number of cars registered to someone  as well, takes about 2 seconds. Sounds like you got stopped and they found some "smoking devices" Now they are looking for dope.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]
As said before, if they had found anything terrible, I would have been arrested. Under the advice of my attorney I will not say what they took until this is over with.

I have nothing against LEOs they have a difficult job and deal with tons of BS daily.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I would qualify under both as an Oregonian and an LEO. I won't lift a ass cheek to cut a fart to help ya but your story does sound familiar. Would you by chance be the computer programmer who was arrested yesterday in the metro area when he went to have sex with what he thought was a 12 year old girl he met on MYSPACE.COM. If that is you then you posted bail and your laptop and camcorder were seized from your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again,  PC is not needed to search your car.

then you don't need our consent either do you?  so why ask for it?

because if we consent, we give up any legal immunity we might otherwise have had if the search turns out not to be kosher.    

so either search my car without my consent or give me ticket and go harass someone else

p.s.  I'm not a cop basher by any stretch, and I have NEVER had anyone ask to search my car during a traffic stop.    This includes time as a punk teenager, while I was in the navy, my post navy days when I was doing LOTS of chemical experimentation, and in what I consider my current phase of my life.  

If someone did ask the answer would be a polite "you do not have my permission, sir"

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I would qualify under both as an Oregonian and an LEO. I won't lift a ass cheek to cut a fart to help ya but your story does sound familiar. Would you by chance be the computer programmer who was arrested yesterday in the metro area when he went to have sex with what he thought was a 12 year old girl he met on MYSPACE.COM. If that is you then you posted bail and your laptop and camcorder were seized from your vehicle.

OUCH

if this is you, recommend showing it to your lawyer, should make your defense more interesting :P
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Search and seizure is touchy stuff... if you don’t give probable course, we really can’t demand a search of your person/property.  But we can always ask for consent… you give it or not, is up to you. If you have nothing to hide… why not consent and be over with.

That's exactly the reason not to consent to a warrantless search. I have nothing to hide so stop wasting both my time and your time.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
As said before, if they had found anything terrible, I would have been arrested. Under the advice of my attorney I will not say what they took until this is over with.

I have nothing against LEOs they have a difficult job and deal with tons of BS daily.

Fuck it.  Let the wild speculation begin.

I say it was a chopped up foreign hooker.  The reason he wasn't arrested is because he claimed  she was just a parts kit, and would be re-assembled with American hookers to make it import legal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Always say no

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Ouch ...... that's going to leave a mark.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch ...... that's going to leave a mark.

Hey where is that popcorn pic?  I think this is gonna get ugly................

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Hello?  Mr. ComputerGuy?  Can we get a denial please?  Hello?  Hello?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]
He's busy Hacking th e network give him time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Thats funny There every where in Oregon though......lots of sickos
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top