Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 9:13:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe, the new FFL format will allow you to fax it.... to another FFL...

I could be wrong though, but If I recall correctly, the latest ATF letter states, you are allowed to fax a copy....?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, so I have tons of questions relating to FFL's.

but, I'll ask them one at a time...

1. Do Faxed FFL's need to be signed before faxing? (faxing a signed copy?)

-Jason

Yes, they do.  The faxed copy still needs to be a certified copy.  To be certified, it must be signed by the licensee.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

-Jason

If it is a standard dealer's FFL, you must sign the copy before faxing.

If it is a C&R FFL, you cannot fax it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I thought anyone could fax it? I guess I gotta go buy a roll of stamps now (renewed my license in December, never bothered to send copies to anyone).

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#5]
FFLs must be signed by the "responsible person" before there is a transmittle.

I prefer to have FFL copies scanned and then e-mailed to me. They are MUCH clearer that way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought anyone could fax it? I guess I gotta go buy a roll of stamps now (renewed my license in December, never bothered to send copies to anyone).
Kharn

I know the BATFE recently changed the standard dealer's FFL to allow faxing, but I believe they still require the standard procedure for C&R. Some crufflers should be able to tell you for sure....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Jason

Any FFL can be legally faxed, including C&R FFLs.  Several distributers will accept faxed C&R FFLs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have purchased several C & R rifles lately and yes I faxed my signed copy of my license to the dealer with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
C&R's still need to be sent by mail because the FFL # can not be checked using the ATF's online ezcheck. I think the ATF allows faxing of C&R's but the fax cant be verified and that is the issue.  

01 FFL's can be checked online.  New 01's are being issued with larger #'s so they can be read when faxed.   I do not believe the 03's are being issued with the larger #'s.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
C&R's still need to be sent by mail because the FFL # can not be checked using the ATF's online ezcheck. I think the ATF allows faxing of C&R's but the fax cant be verified and that is the issue.  

01 FFL's can be checked online.  New 01's are being issued with larger #'s so they can be read when faxed.   I do not believe the 03's are being issued with the larger #'s.

There is no requirement to verify faxed FFL's via the eZCheck system.  It is only a recommendation.  C&R FFL's can be verified through the Licensing Branch in Atlanta, but it is not required.  

A C&R FFL received via the mail cannot be verified through eZCheck either, so what is the difference with a faxed FFL.

C&R FFLs are being printed with the larger numbers to facilitate faxing.  If BATF didn't want them faxed, why the larger numbers on Type 03 FFLs?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FFLs must be signed by the "responsible person" before there is a transmittle.

I prefer to have FFL copies scanned and then e-mailed to me. They are MUCH clearer that way.

Please be aware that the letter from BATFE did NOT state that emailed FFLs were now acceptable.  Several BATFE field offices are taking the position that ONLY 'Faxed' copies are acceptable.  When I asked about a fax received by a computer running WinFax and a modem, then printed out, I was told variously: As long as it was sent from a fax machine by fax transmission OK, or Maybe, or Please let me know when I can come arrest you!

Just remember that BATFE is a very 'by the book' sort of outfit.  If the letter had meant that emailed copies were OK it would have said 'Facsimile or other electronic transmission'.  It didn't, therefore only true Faxing is safe.  Even the big numbers bulletin only mentioned Faxing.

Hopefully BATFE will clear this up one way or the other in a new bulletin very soon.  I'd hate for people to do business for a while then have some regional office crack down and start handing out indictments.  (Yeah, yeah, the AUSA would hand out the indictment, whatever.)

Futuristic
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There is no requirement to verify faxed FFL's via the eZCheck system.  It is only a recommendation.  C&R FFL's can be verified through the Licensing Branch in Atlanta, but it is not required.  

A C&R FFL received via the mail cannot be verified through eZCheck either, so what is the difference with a faxed FFL.

C&R FFLs are being printed with the larger numbers to facilitate faxing.  If BATF didn't want them faxed, why the larger numbers on Type 03 FFLs?

You are correct,  maybe I was unclear in my post.  There is no requirement to verify using ezcheck and faxed C&R's can be accepted.  However, I thought the reasoning behind allowing FFL's to be faxed was because they could be verified using ezcheck.  ATF reg 478.94 only requires verification of identity and license status.  Ezcheck allows you to verify that the # on the fax and the address to prevent possible forgery.  The difference in the mailed FFL is that the quality of the document can help you identify a potentially fraudulent license.  Most faxes are of poor quality making the potential for fraud higher.  

Back to reg 478.94, it requires a certified copy of the transferee's license be verified "by such other means as the transferor deems necessary"  So, the transferor decides what type of license to accept.  If they feel that a mailed certified copy satisfies as verification and a faxed FFL doesnt, that is their prerogative.  Verification is the responsibility of the transferor and a call to the ATF is more hassle than only accepting mailed C&R's.

My original post was to defend the reasoning for not accepting faxed C&R's.  I would love for all dealers to accept faxed C&R's but they don't have to.

and to reply to the original post.  yes, the FFL needs to be signed before faxing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top