Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:46:00 PM EDT
I was listen to the radio and I caught the tale end of a story about a paint that has copper in it and the inventor claims it will block cell phone signals. I wonder if this can be made with tinfoil in the paint too?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:06 PM EDT
thats BS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:53:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
thats BS.

I'd say so as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:55:56 PM EDT
don't be so fast to judge. I was watching mythbusters the other day and they were experimenting with cell phones. they covered a phone booth with brass screen. they went from 5 bar service to no service when they stepped in there. I would imagine copper could do the same thing, so there's a good chance.

Also, my house has aluminum foil wrapped insulation. i get TERRIBLE cell reception inside, but flawless outside.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:58:06 PM EDT

thats BS.

New Paint Blocks Out Cell Phone Signals
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:50 PM EDT

thats BS.

Maybe not.

Check out "TEMPEST" technology (and this information is really outdated by todays standerds).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:22:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HIPPO:

thats BS.

New Paint Blocks Out Cell Phone Signals

That reads like what I heard on the radio. I think it is a great idea if it works.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:23:52 PM EDT
If that isnt bullshit, i think the inside of every movie theater and resturaunt should be covered in the shit!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
don't be so fast to judge. I was watching mythbusters the other day and they were experimenting with cell phones. they covered a phone booth with brass screen. they went from 5 bar service to no service when they stepped in there. I would imagine copper could do the same thing, so there's a good chance.

Also, my house has aluminum foil wrapped insulation. i get TERRIBLE cell reception inside, but flawless outside.

Google 'Faraday cage'.

1911fan
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:15:25 PM EDT
Yea, it's nice and all, but--how you going to get the people to stand still so you can get it on them?
~
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:31 PM EDT
My friends cell phone came covered witht hat from the factory I think
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
I wish it was true. I would get some and spray all of the wireless internet access points run by my company's competitors with the stuff
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:21:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
My friends cell phone came covered witht hat from the factory I think

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:25:30 PM EDT
+1

If that isnt bullshit, i think the inside of every movie theater and resturaunt should be covered in the shit!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:14:20 PM EDT

Actually I think people should learn manners and put them on vibrate or mute... There are people who are on call who need to recieve calls and messages.

The worst are the push-2-talk fuckers and the dildos who want to play with their ring tones in a restraunt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:17:02 PM EDT
Well I talk on my phone on a resturant, since its just me there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:30:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By passgas55:
I was listen to the radio and I caught the tale end of a story about a paint that has copper in it and the inventor claims it will block cell phone signals. I wonder if this can be made with tinfoil in the paint too?

I have heard lead based paint does, how valid that is I am uncertain of. My house great reception my parents house horrible, my sisters house non-existent. I think it has more to do with electrical wiring than the paint.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:31:58 PM EDT
Im gonna get some for my tinfoil hat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:38:26 PM EDT

I've never understood what people have against others using the cell phone in a restaurant?

I dont care if people use cell phones in restaurants, its not a fucking library, all the restaurants I've ever been to have been noisy from people talking to one another.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:03:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mattl:

I have heard lead based paint does, how valid that is I am uncertain of. My house great reception my parents house horrible, my sisters house non-existent. I think it has more to do with electrical wiring than the paint.

That's more likely a geographical problem (cell holes) than something caused by the wiring.

Now, if you're in a building with concrete slab walls, iron mesh and plenty of rebar, kiss your reception goodbye.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:12:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By geerhed:

That's more likely a geographical problem (cell holes) than something caused by the wiring.

Now, if you're in a building with concrete slab walls, iron mesh and plenty of rebar, kiss your reception goodbye.

Their all within 4 miles of eachother, and if it were totally electronic and electric interference my house has the most crapp around it Power/phone lines, antenna for local news, multiple satelites and I am fairly certain my house is the oldest. My sisters house is brick so the concrete theory works their.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 11:35:56 PM EDT by Madman]

I just wrapped my house with tin foil.

saves on making all those hats.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:17:38 AM EDT
And when you're in some building where you need to make an emergency phone call, but can't because the cell phone won't work, then you deserve to die, suffer, or whatever becomes of your sorry ass because you can't handle a fucking cell phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:25:15 AM EDT

Lead based paint shouldn't have the same effect.

The paint in the original post contains metallic copper.

Lead based paint does not contain metallic lead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:41:18 AM EDT
I had a Nokia that got perfect reception inside my warehouse. Big tin shed full of metal racking and shelves full of metal machine parts--I could walk the aisles and never worry about losing a call.

My new piece of shit phone drops calls constantly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:50:38 AM EDT
Let me get this straight...... people have cell phones that get signals
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:08:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:42:43 AM EDT
Lead-based paint chips taste the best.

-James
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:48:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Several types of paint contain metal.

Let me rephrase that.

Most paints contain metal, but only some contain metal in the metallic form.

The most common white pigment is titanium dioxide.

But titanium dioxide is not the same thing as titanium metal.

If your car has metallic paint, it contains actual flakes of metal to make it sparkle.
There are marine paints that contain metallic copper to prevent algae and other crap
like that from growing on the surface.
There are "galvanize" paints that contain metallic zinc.

All of these types of paints contain ground up metal.

Lead based paint, however, contains lead compounds.
Lead oxide, lead arsenate, etc.
Not metallic lead.

These lead compounds do not shield EMF radiation like metallic lead would.

If I understand the farady cage theory correctly, the "cage" needs to be electrically conductive.

The paint that would shield cell phones would conduct electricity.

Lead based paint won't do that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:48:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Meta4:
Lead-based paint chips taste the best.

-James

Especially with the right salsa
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:50:37 AM EDT
I wouldn't throw the BS flag yet, if you know ANYTHING about radio communications, you will quickly remember that the attenuation of signal can be strong enough to in effect, "block" communication.

In a cellular service, if signal strength is below a certain minimum, it will lose the call. Paint with copper chips, added with metal beams behind walls and concrete can in effect attenuate the signal enough to block outgoing traffic from the phone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:54:35 AM EDT
Cool. Tag.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:11:28 AM EDT
A few years back some Japanese guy was trying to sell paperboard panels and then curtains that had powdered iron in them. The iron attenuated the cell phone signals to the point that no calls inside a lined room would connect.

As I recall, he gave up on the panels because no theaters wanted to bother installing them, and the curtains they couldn't get fireproof ratings on.
~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:15:06 AM EDT
Hmmmm. Tag.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:26:25 AM EDT
It is definitely NOT BS. I can assure you that it is quite easy to completely "insulate" a space against all emissions, from VLF to EHF if one wishes to.

We do it all the time. This just makes it easier and possibly cheaper.

The technique is used to build Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities or SCIFs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:47:59 AM EDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_Silence
Top Top