Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 4:56:12 PM EDT
Gunkote recommends that you sandblast with 120 mesh aluminum oxide. Does anyone know where to get this stuff?

erik
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You dont have to do that. You could just glass bead blast it. Dont sand blast it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
On the gunkote site it specifically says NOT to glass bead blast it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On the gunkote site it specifically says NOT to glass bead blast it.

weird.

Do you have a pic of the 1911?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I did both my 1911s with gunkote. One turned out beautiful and the other I put it too heavy in one spot and it looks like ass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
most stuff for really fine refinishing can be found in auto parts stores, or through that line.  you may have to special order it, but that's where I would start lookign
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The question would be why would you want to refinish it?  Is the finish worn,is it worth more as is?

Lots of questions here,but No on glass beading it,just light sand it!

I have a few pistols that I wish were 100%,but re-blueing(or refinishing them would not bring them to 100& maybe )  sometimes it brings about 20% less price than original!!  And some as much as 1/2 price!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Eastwood, they carry several different kinds of media.

www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1313&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C1310&KickerID=243&KICKER
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Dear God, please DO NOT GLASS BEAD BLAST IT if you plan on spraying on any coating. You will end up with a real mess.  Most coating will not take root to surfaces that have been glass bead blasted. Aulm Oxide is for sale at most Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply(TSC) stores.

KG Teflon Gun Kote is great and will give you years of rust free service if applied right. If you want the best out there I have found no better then Cerekote. It is a little tricky to apply for the do it yourself gunsmith but  it holds up like iron. Duracoat is another great option if you want to camo or coat items like plastic Glock frames as it does not have to be baked. Duracoat is easy to use but as with all coating the prep is the most important part.

If you feel that you can do your own gunsmithing work then more power to you. If you have a shadow of a doubt please do not tackle refinishing your gun get a professional refinisher or a gunsmith with a clue to do it for you. On average we get a couple guns a month that people try to refinish on their own. In most cases it cost more to try to fix it then doing it right the first time. I even had a guy that tried to apply Duracoat with a paint brush!!  That was one hell of a mess to blast off and recoat. Be very careful taking advice from people on internet boards. There is alot of armchair gunsmiths out there that give some great advice and alot that give really really bad advice to.

Email me if you have any question about refinishing your 1911. I would be glad to help you out with any advice for no charge, we do refinishing of firearms, aerospace parts & gunsmithing for a living. We always try to answer our emails the same day if possible.    

Take Care

www.elkmontarms.com
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top