Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
Now what do I do?  Basically, if we feel we deserve a raise, tell us why and how much do you feel you deserve.

I fly a small cargo airplane in Michigan, am paid about what the going rate is for what I'm doing (maybe just a tad under), have 2 weeks vacation a year (next year will go to 3), have been with the company for just over 6 years, never miss work due to sickness, the weather has to be really crappy for me not to go (and I mean really crappy, like freezing rain), haven't put one scratch on any of their planes, am easy to get along with, don't make waves in the company, blah blah blah......

How should I approach this?  Any ideas appreciated since this is totally new to me.  Our company is doing well financially.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you have been a freight dog for 6 years. How good are the airplanes that you fly. Every freight dog airplane I've ever worked on was held together with zip ties and silicone. You deserve a raise just for flying in all kinds of crappy weather, shooting approaches dowm to minimumsn and all of the other crap that goes along with building  multi time. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
say that if they dont pony up the cash, you will be forced to DRAW DOWN
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think you have made a post like this is every thread.

You do know you spelled TANNERITE wrong?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

He's trying to get his post count up. I've just started to follow behind him and say  "+1", to get my post count up too.hock.gifhock.gifhock.gif
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's trying to get his post count up. I've just started to follow behind him and say  "+1", to get my post count up too.

ETA: 67 posts per day???

Yup, a post whore to the extreme, BUT, he paid up for a membership, so it's ok.

As for the raise thing, just ask for more. You know you want more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, and yes.

Thank you for your observation... If you need me, I will be whoring the rest of the night.

ETA: And if you look, I never just say "tag" or "+1"  I try to contribute SOMETHING to the discussion, even if it is just a tired cliche.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Now what do I do?  Basically, if we feel we deserve a raise, tell us why and how much do you feel you deserve.

I fly a small cargo airplane in Michigan, am paid about what the going rate is for what I'm doing (maybe just a tad under), have 2 weeks vacation a year (next year will go to 3), have been with the company for just over 6 years, never miss work due to sickness, the weather has to be really crappy for me not to go (and I mean really crappy, like freezing rain), haven't put one scratch on any of their planes, am easy to get along with, don't make waves in the company, blah blah blah......

How should I approach this?  Any ideas appreciated since this is totally new to me.  Our company is doing well financially.

vmax84

Just forward the above to the Boss.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, you have been a freight dog for 6 years. How good are the airplanes that you fly. Every freight dog airplane I've ever worked on was held together with zip ties and silicone. You deserve a raise just for flying in all kinds of crappy weather, shooting approaches dowm to minimumsn and all of the other crap that goes along with building  multi time. Good luck!

I fly a simple little Cessna Caravan, which has a nice Pratt & Whitney turboprop pulling it along.  Nice plane and good company to fly for.  They have treated me right thru the years.........pay isn't quite what it should (I suppose most people say this about their jobs, anyway) be, but I enjoy the job, the company, the maintenance guys are top notch, they fix things when they break, and I really enjoy the people I fly with.

Plus, I only fly 80 minutes a day, so I'm not over worked by any stretch of the imagination.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
"Have you seen ammo prices lately???"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

vmax84

Tell him all the things you just told us.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Have you seen ammo prices lately???"

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Well you can start by saying you haven't been caught screwin his wife. That should count for something
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell him you need a 10% raise to buy a prop interrupter for the machine gun you now can mount on the plane as long as you stay in Michigan.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dear boss,

i deserve a raise because i am obviously doing your job by having to provide you with my evaluation.

thanks,

TBS

ps... i will expect to move into your office by next week

That would go over great Me Thinks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dear boss,

i deserve a raise because i am obviously doing your job by having to provide you with my evaluation.

thanks,

TBS

Yeah, no kidding.  Strange company here from time to time.

vmax84

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Vmax, are you a Fed-x feeder? I'm used to seeing poor old Piper Navajo's or Beech 100's or really tired Saratogas. The 208's are great! My lottery airplane is a 208 on amphib floats. Then, I can fly all over Alaska fishing and shooting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fly a simple little Cessna Caravan, which has a nice Pratt & Whitney turboprop pulling it along.  Nice plane and good company to fly for.  They have treated me right thru the years.........pay isn't quite what it should (I suppose most people say this about their jobs, anyway) be, but I enjoy the job, the company, the maintenance guys are top notch, they fix things when they break, and I really enjoy the people I fly with.

Plus, I only fly 80 minutes a day, so I'm not over worked by any stretch of the imagination.
vmax84

Don't email him that
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dear boss,

thanks,

TBS

I would actually DO something like that at work.

I actually had the following conversation with the GM at a meeting in front of several crews.

GM: Anything you want?

Me; Yeah. Name a boat after me.

GM: Why should we do that?

Me:Because I am the only one here with enough balls to ask.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell h im you need something more modern than a 1984 Vmax
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fly a simple little Cessna Caravan, which has a nice Pratt & Whitney turboprop pulling it along.
I've done that once , but I am not supossed to talk about it. Do you fly the extended cargo version or thhe crappy no load one?Nice plane and good company to fly for.  They have treated me right thru the years.........pay isn't quite what it should (I suppose most people say this about their jobs, anyway) be, but I enjoy the job, the company, the maintenance guys are top notch, they fix things when they break, and I really enjoy the people I fly with.

vmax84

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Tell him what you told us.....

Just plus it up with some flowery BS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dear boss,

thanks,

TBS

My wife did this once at her old job. Her supervisors decided that the employees should be doing their own evaluations, so she put something very similar right before she left for a much better job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]
'Well, sir, I have my eye on this SOCOMII, and those things ain't cheap.'

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:04:20 AM EDT
[#25]
VMax what you said is worthwhile but the last thing your boss needs to read is

"Lastly I deserve and have earned a raise because you and the company profit handsomely from my skills, labor and care for the customer & equipment."
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Tell him you need a 10% raise to buy a prop interrupter for the machine gun you now can mount on the plane as long as you stay in Michigan.

This is a sure fire way to get a raise.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#28]
They are just fuckin' with you. They are going to give themselves the raises after they get a good laugh at your reasons and use them to justify their own promotions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top