Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:54:04 AM EDT
Several years ago, I bought a S&W Model 27 that had been converted to .45 ACP.  When I bought it,  I failed to see that it was not the Model 25 that I assumed I was buying.  When I brought it to the range, I found that the cylinder would bind when fired DA.  Anyway, I still have it and do not want an unreliable gun around the house.  However, I do not want to just give it away either.  I'd like to sell it.  What are my options here?  I don't want to do the same thing to the next guy as was done to me.  I'd have to tell them about the problem I've had with the gun.  I've thought about bringing it to a pawn shop and getting what I could for it.  I've thought about putting it on the EE board with full disclosure, too.  Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
why does it bind?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Several years ago, I bought a S&W Model 27 that had been converted to .45 ACP.  When I bought it,  I failed to see that it was not the Model 25 that I assumed I was buying.  When I brought it to the range, I found that the cylinder would bind when fired DA.  Anyway, I still have it and do not want an unreliable gun around the house.  However, I do not want to just give it away either.  I'd like to sell it.  What are my options here?  I don't want to do the same thing to the next guy as was done to me.  I'd have to tell them about the problem I've had with the gun.  I've thought about bringing it to a pawn shop and getting what I could for it.  I've thought about putting it on the EE board with full disclosure, too.  Any other ideas?

Sometimes we just get stuck. Keep it as a reminder. Some people spend a lot more before they learn what this pistol taught you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure why it binds.  Probably the loaded full moon clip.  When it is dry-fired, it is very smooth.  The gun looks great.  I'd rather chalk this one up to experience and go on.  I want to sell this gun and I'm sure I'll have to sell it for a lot less than I paid.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Been There, Done That

I have picked up a couple dogs over the years that seemed like great deals until I got them to the range. I also do not want unsafe/unreliable guns mixed in the safe. I always sell with full disclosure and I take a hit on the selling price but I sleep well at night knowing I didn't kinda-sorta cheat someone (even if I was cheated to begin with) or that I am responsible for putting an unsafe gun in someone elses hands. If someone asked me "how does it shoot" I just don't think I could look someone in the eyes and say "no problems at all" knowing I was lying for the sake of a few bucks.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Do people still buy these guns even after you've told them they don't function correctly?  Do they think they will be able to make them work?  How do I decide how much to sell it for?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Ship it to S&W and ask them to make it right again.

HH
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no idea of who did the caliber conversion from .357 to .45.  For all I know, it's a Bubba gun.  I'm not sure S&W would work on it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, people buy "broken" guns all the time, mostly for the challenge of the repair. You will not get a good price for it though. One of the draws to repairing broken things is getting them almost for free.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do people still buy these guns even after you've told them they don't function correctly?  Do they think they will be able to make them work?  How do I decide how much to sell it for?  

First, I would see if a local gunsmith who specializes in S&W could fix it and how much it would cost.

Second, see if S&W can fix it.

Third, there are plenty of WECSOG guys around here and some might want to take a crack at it. I would post it on the EE as a "Gunsmith special" with a mile-long disclaimer. Only problem with that is you will lose a good bit of money on it.

Last, I might think about parting it out. Could be the individual components are worth more than the whole pistol in a non-functioning condition.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
If this pistol has the old style hammer with the firing pin attached, you may check the bushing in the frame that the firing pin goes through.
I had a K-38 that would bind like that and the little bushing had set back just enough to allow some primer incursion into the hole. I mean it was so little I could'nt tell by looking at it, but the Smith and Wesson trained smithy knew right away when I described it to him.
It's worth a look anyhow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd find the problem with the gun and correct it (try a fresh moonclip). The Model 27 was a N Frame, if the conversion was done in a proper manner there is no problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top