Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:51 AM EDT
Law-Abiding Gun Owner Says There's A Message in His Lawsuit

By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
February 28, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Second Amendment supporters have filed a lawsuit stemming from the wrongful arrest of a Utah man who was detained at the Newark, N.J., airport because he had a gun in his luggage.

As required by federal law, the firearm was unloaded, locked and stored in a case inside Gregg Revell's luggage. Although federal law protects law-abiding citizens who travel with firearms, Revell nevertheless was arrested for possessing a firearm without a New Jersey state license.

Federal law should have trumped state and local law in Revell's case, said the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc.

The Association said it is suing the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and one of its police officers for wrongfully arresting and imprisoning Revell, who spent five days in jail before his family raised the required $15,000 cash to bail him out.

The lawsuit seeks more than $3-million for civil rights violations; and a permanent injunction forcing the Port Authority to follow federal law on the interstate transportation of firearms. It also sends a message.

"The Port Authority blatantly violated federal law when it arrested Gregg Revell," said Scott Bach, president of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

"Those charged with enforcing the law have a special responsibility to follow it themselves," Bach said. He called Revell's arrest part of a pattern of misconduct by the Port Authority.

"This lawsuit is intended to send a signal, not only to the Port Authority but to every agency and officer responsible for policing our airports and highways: if you violate the rights of law-abiding gun owners, you will be held fully accountable."

Revell, 57, was traveling from his home in Utah to Allentown, Pa., to pick up a car, which he intended to drive back to Utah, the Association said. Revell, who had a Utah firearms permit and no criminal record, properly stored and declared his firearm in Utah.

The trouble began when Revell missed his connection to Allentown and spent the night in Newark. He was arrested the next morning after returning to the Newark airport, where he once again declared his firearm, as required by FAA regulations.

Several months after Revell's arrest, all charges were withdrawn and the case was dismissed.

"I did nothing wrong yet was arrested and subjected to the worst treatment imaginable for almost a week," said Revell, who said he received abusive and unsanitary treatment during his five days in a New Jersey jail.

"I brought this lawsuit together with the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs because I want to stop this kind of abuse from ever happening again," said Revell.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs noted that Revell's travels were protected by the Firearms Owner Protection Act of 1986, a law that protects interstate travel with firearms under certain conditions -- all of which Revell met.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
wow i feel so safe in the airport.

I hope he gets every cent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The State of NJ normally does recogonize USC 926a at airports. It's NY that doesn't pay any attention to it.

There is an active thread in the NY/NJ forum on this lawsuit.

Copy of the Complaint
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
As a New yorker I sweat this shit ALL the time. I am trapped on Long Island where the laws are laxer the either NYC or new jersey. But in order to travel anywhere outside of LI i have to travel through NYC or NJ. although i keep to the law of NY state regarding traveling i still worry that some overzealous state trooper who DOES'nt know the full law might decide to bust me. Would i really get charged? No. Eventually they would drop the charges (like in this case) BUT i would still go to jail for a least a day, get my weapon confiscated, and all kinds of shit. Whenever i drive through these areas i literally feel like a gun smuggler or something criminal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope he gets a seven figure settlement!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an idea.

What if we all send emails to the Port Authority telling them that we'll be making a "peaceable journey" through JFK and we'll be staying overnight a a local hotel due to our flight schedule.....complete with flight numbers, hotel locations, etc.

And then tell 'em "molon labe"

We could keep 'em running.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a New yorker I sweat this shit ALL the time. I am trapped on Long Island where the laws are laxer the either NYC or new jersey. But in order to travel anywhere outside of LI i have to travel through NYC or NJ. although i keep to the law of NY state regarding traveling i still worry that some overzealous state trooper who DOES'nt know the full law might decide to bust me. Would i really get charged? No. Eventually they would drop the charges (like in this case) BUT i would still go to jail for a least a day, get my weapon confiscated, and all kinds of shit. Whenever i drive through these areas i literally feel like a gun smuggler or something criminal.

+100000

I live it too
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope he gets every fucking penny he sues for.

Behavior like that is unconscionable, let alone unconstitutional.   He wasn't locked up for endangering anyone or breaking the law, he was locked up because those in power in the "occupied states" don't like his lifestyle. i.e. Gun Ownership.

Ultimately, this is no different than locking him up for 5 days for being a homosexual.   Something that those states might understand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's not that he doesn't know, he just enjoys bullying you knowing he'll get backing from his fellow uniformed gangsters if he puts the right slant on the story (hint:  just has to mention the word "gun", as in "some nut with a gun.")

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top