Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT

I want to be able to record to DVD through my PC from the DVR. Tell me the best way to do it.
I have s-video and RCA jacks for my computer with capture software. Before I tear shit apart does my directv dvr have extra video outs? Maybe a router type set up?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It really depends on the outputs from your DVR as your computer is probably more flexible than it. My DVR has S-Video and Component (RCA) type outputs but no digital output so I have to go though the "analog hole". That means going from digital down to analog and then doing a capture back to digital. I use a Canopus firewire interface for my computer but it sounds like you've got a capture card like an "all-in-wonder" card. Don't forget that S-video is better quality than Composite and that it has no sound so you'll have to run a second set of cables for the audio.

I haven't seen a DVR which will allow you to do digital dubs yet.

Yesterday, I got a MOXIE pvr.  It has ethernet, 4 USB, 1 firewire, DVI, composite connections.
I don't know how to connect the box to my PC as I haven't plugged it into my network yet.
but, the cable guy said that I could port my recordings to my PC

Anyway, it looks pretty powerful and the cable co. made me sign my life away just to rent it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
but it sounds like you've got a capture card like an "all-in-wonder" card.

Yes
I just moved some shit and looked on the DVR it has unused outputs
1 USB
2 RCA type
1 S-video
Whats the USB for? Sorry but I dont know what fire wire is. (i have heard of it though)Can I just tap into one of those unused and capture from it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
A coworker of mine hacked his Tivo, allowing him to pull mpegs straight off the box via web browser. I'm going to get around to hacking my Tivo one of these days. There are some great forums dedicated to it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but it sounds like you've got a capture card like an "all-in-wonder" card.

Yes
I just moved some shit and looked on the DVR it has unused outputs
1 USB
2 RCA type
1 S-video
Whats the USB for? Sorry but I dont know what fire wire is. (i have heard of it though)Can I just tap into one of those unused and capture from it?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top