Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/28/2006 11:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 11:20:31 PM EDT by samsong]
My 9 year old low-end Kenmore took a dump this evening, half-washing a full load of dirty dishes. As this is the second time it's done this, I believe I need to get something made after Clinton's first term. The Missus looked at me and said, "You make fixee - here's the Sears card."

I am looking at the Amana ADB1500AW[W] at about $332 at Sears. got a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" recommendation, and ranks second best out of 14 ranked for repair frequency, with Whirlpool edging them out..

Well, Doc, any comments about my choice?

Edited the "D" out.

BTW, what's the "spider" reference - oh, wait, it's the freaky spiders that Doctor FriDge has to deal with when he's doing repairs, right?

Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:16 PM EDT
Oh shit you spelled his name with a "D"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By samsong:
My 9 year old low-end Kenmore took a dump this evening, half-washing a full load of dirty dishes. As this is the second time it's done this, I believe I need to get something made after Clinton's first term. The Missus looked at me and said, "You make fixee - here's the Sears card."

I am looking at the Amana ADB1500AW[W] at about $332 at Sears. got a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" recommendation, and ranks second best out of 14 ranked for repair frequency, with Whirlpool edging them out..

Well, Doc, any comments about my choice?

Yes, Low end Bosch. Same unit as the high end but no bells and whistles!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:56 PM EDT
What do you all think...two, maybe three most posts before a spider image?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:09:03 PM EDT
Pssst, take the d out...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:09:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Oh shit you spelled his name with a "D"

Yeah no shit he did... I should have toldhim then to get a Frigidaire then until he fixed my name.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:56 PM EDT

lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/Images/Insects/spiders/GardenSpider.jpg

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:13:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:

I had to do it just once
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:14:39 PM EDT
So are the Kenmore dishwashers just pos's? I've got the wife bitching at me about buying her a new one as well. The one we've got is only 5 years old but runs all night because the water is not hot enough and pukes water out the vent line.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:23:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dukota:
So are the Kenmore dishwashers just pos's? I've got the wife bitching at me about buying her a new one as well. The one we've got is only 5 years old but runs all night because the water is not hot enough and pukes water out the vent line.

No, according to Consumer Reports, the Kenmores are great (that is, when they're not made by Frigidaire, which I remember from my three months of selling them were horrible). A Kenmore placed third in CR's tests and scored a "Best Buy" rating: Model 1603. Get prepared to shell out the Big Coin, though: $500.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:25:27 PM EDT

I had one of those exact fuckers scare the willies out of me on my way to school back in middle school. My buddy and I used to walk down my back bank to get to school the fastest and we had to exit through a gate my father had put up. We're walking down the steps, and I run my face smack within inchs of this big yellow bastard before I saw it.

Rock at web and STOMP STOMP STOMP! Adrenaline from giant spider willies is good early in the morning for a growing boy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 11:29:31 PM EDT by samsong]
BTW, Doc: Thanks for the head's up on the Bosch. It was my favorite to sell. It also captured top honors in that CR test. $880! Oh teh nOOES!!!11!!111!!2!

ETA: We are moving this year to a nice new construction town home in Castle Rock. I am hoping that if my new dishwasher sucks more than the one I'm buying tomorrow, then maybe I can switch them out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:33:14 PM EDT

BTW, Doc: Thanks for the head's up on the Bosch. It was my favorite to sell. It also captured top honors in that CR test. $880! Oh teh nOOES!!!11!!111!!2!

ETA: We are moving this year to a nice new construction town home in Castle Rock. I am hoping that if my new dishwasher sucks more than the one I'm buying tomorrow, then maybe I can switch them out.

OH if you are moving, then get the Whirlpool... Sucks to install a great dishwasher only to leave it a year later when you move.
Whirlpool is good.... I just love how the Bosch sounds... actually, it DOESNT sound... it is so quiet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:35:18 PM EDT

OH if you are moving, then get the Whirlpool... Sucks to install a great dishwasher only to leave it a year later when you move.
Whirlpool is good.... I just love how the Bosch sounds... actually, it DOESNT sound... it is so quiet.

Parents installed a brand new Bosch (even put the pretty wood facad on it to make it look like the cabnetry) and even put in tile flooring about a year before they moved. They just passed on the cost and then some to the buyer as an recent upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:01:05 AM EDT

Parents installed a brand new Bosch (even put the pretty wood facad on it to make it look like the cabnetry) and even put in tile flooring about a year before they moved. They just passed on the cost and then some to the buyer as an recent upgrade.

I was thinking of that angle with the wife. I am heartily tired of handwashing the dishes before I have the dishwasher take a useless crack at it. The new dishwashers have almost a 2 hour cycle - the dishes come out sparkling - she was pressing for the $188 craptastic exact replacement. Whether I'm here for 9 months or 20, I don't want to prewash the dog-gone dishes anymore. Hell, I'll pay the extra $150 for THAT privilege.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:24:14 AM EDT

I was thinking of that angle with the wife. I am heartily tired of handwashing the dishes before I have the dishwasher take a useless crack at it. The new dishwashers have almost a 2 hour cycle - the dishes come out sparkling - she was pressing for the $188 craptastic exact replacement. Whether I'm here for 9 months or 20, I don't want to prewash the dog-gone dishes anymore. Hell, I'll pay the extra $150 for THAT privilege.

Have you tried Cascade Complete? I have a cheap-o Frigidaire (that came with my place) and it makes the dishes spotless if I use Complete. Yeah it's more expensive but you don't have to pre-wash the dishes as much.

PS I am going to upgrade to a Whirlpool soon, when I get my kitchen re-done.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:34 AM EDT
This Old House visited a Bosch plant in New England and I was impressed with the way they do the engineering and manufacturing of thier dishwashers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:18:53 AM EDT

ETA: We are moving this year to a nice new construction town home in Castle Rock.

Hey, my best friend lives in Castle Rock. Do you know a guy named Patrick?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
The wife and I redid our kitchen just a few months ago.

We put in the Bosch dishwasher, stove and over the counter microwave. That dishwasher rocks, they come out clean and it doesn't make hardly any noise at all. The only thing I don't like about it is the damn beeper when the dishes are done. It'll beep every 5 min for about an hour telling you to come turn it off. Why couldn't they have set it up to beep once and then shut off all by itself?

I wish they would have made a frige ( happy ) so we could have matched them all, ended up with a Kenmore Elite unit that matches the others pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:17:20 PM EDT
Jezz there's not that many parts even the best of them! Some have better (quiet moters)more insulation! The craping out part don't sound like the drain solinoid isn't working,maybe you have crud built up in the drain hose where it connects to your Garbage disposal!

Sounds like an easy control switch!!! The control may be shutting down too soon,the water inlet screen may be clogged(not enough water) nine years doesn't mean it's toast!!!

Course new is sometimes better,exspecially if you don't want to fix the old one!!

If it's a good old one fix it(just like the old Water Closets)new is not allways better!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:26:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

ETA: We are moving this year to a nice new construction town home in Castle Rock.

Hey, my best friend lives in Castle Rock. Do you know a guy named Patrick?

Yes!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT
Biggest spiders I ever saw were in the jungles of Guam. I've got some pictures of them out in the shed somewhere but am too lazy to go find them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:06 PM EDT
Top Top