Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
So, I'm sitting here offshore, and I get a wild idea to have a computer waiting for me when I get home. I say any old standard computer will just not do, so I decided to order up the parts from newegg, and throw myself together what is in my opinion, a hell of a system. here's a few specs:

AMD64 3700+ (2.2ghz, 1GHZ FSB)

2 gigs PC3200 DDR ram

dual Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256mb (SLI setup)

250GB SATA 7200rpm 3.0gb/s hard drive

Samsung DVD  (16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe) I honestly don't even know what half that shit is...

Acer 17" 8ms LCD monitor (bitchin deal on it)

also got a nifty little case, 500w power supply, shitload of extra case fans, stuff like that.

I also *gasp* purchased an OEM copy of windows XP pro. 146.95 for that.

Final tally for everything, ~1700

So, ARFCOM...tell me, what do you think?

Edit for clarification.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
thats a really good deal for sure, where are you offshore?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
$1700 and it's still all about 1's and 0's
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have:

Got less RAM and chopped out 1 Vid Card in order to get a better proc.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
did you get graphics cards? sound card?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
NewEgg rocks.  I just ordered an Athlon 64 x2, 4200+ from them.

No motherboard?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
should have bought a pentium 133
and another gun
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and another gun

I keep wanting to upgrade my POS but cant justify the money
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure your power supply is SLI capable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

that was the first thing i checked

the motherboard is a SLI motherboard that came with the video cards.

motherboards are cheap anyways..but i figure if it's made by the same people who made the video card, it can't be that bad :P
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
did you get graphics cards? sound card?

graphics cards are in the original post, 2 nvidia 7800GT's

sound card i have an audigy at the house already to toss in there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
not bad.

newegg is the r0xorz

i've built 3 comps with their parts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

right now I'm about 3 miles off Cameron, LA

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
not bad.

newegg is the r0xorz

i've built 3 comps with their parts.

I normally go with the cheaper place, dealing with them isnt as easy but I save money
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Should have:

Got less RAM and chopped out 1 Vid Card in order to get a better proc.

I was thinking about going with a single 7800GT, but did some reading about SLI'd GT's and was hooked right in.

The processor is more than sufficient for what I intend to do with it, the dual video cards and 2 gigs of memory will make up for what little the processor lacks.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
About the only thing I would have done is another HD, bigger and better monitor, and XPpro
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
About the only thing I would have done is another HD, bigger and better monitor, and XPpro

250gigs on the main, + the 160gigs on the external i already have will be more than sufficient for now. hard drives are easy to add on later.

i did get xp pro.

the bigger and better monitors would have pushed the system beyond my affordability.. believe it or not, this is a budget system
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, I'm sitting here offshore, and I get a wild idea to have a computer waiting for me when I get home. I say any old standard computer will just not do, so I decided to order up the parts from newegg, and throw myself together what is in my opinion, a hell of a system. here's a few specs:

AMD64 3700+ (2.2ghz, 1GHZ FSB) With socket AM2 comming I would have waited

2 gigs PC3200 DDR ram Not sure you'll need that much at least untill vista

dual Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256mb (SLI setup) SLI is the biggest ripoff in gaming

250GB SATA 7200rpm 3.0gb/s hard drive Fine, whatever they are all the same to me (I've owned raptors to quantum fireballs)

Samsung DVD  (16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe) I honestly don't even know what half that shit is... whatever, all the same to me

Acer 17" 8ms LCD monitor (bitchin deal on it) If you are buying an LCD panel Dell is the best out there IMHO, Samsung otherwise.

also got a nifty little case, 500w power supply, shitload of extra case fans, stuff like that. Lots of fans huh? Hope it's not too loud

I also *gasp* purchased an OEM copy of windows XP. 146.95 for that. well that's good, I can get them free (and legal, being MSDNAA)

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks good.

About the only thing I would have done different change out the CPU and go 2x core @2.0GHz.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drilling?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Should be a pretty cool setup.

The CD/DVD w/Lightscribe is a cool thing too. check this out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]
What are you going to use this computer for that you need two graphic cards? curious minds want to know.As cheap as hard drives are I would have gone a little bigger. You can never have to much. I have a 300 gig HD and 240 of it is already used up.Do you work on rigs or supply boats?Also with that 64 bit processor why not use the latest 64-bit compatible OS.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMD64 3700+ (2.2ghz, 1GHZ FSB) With socket AM2 comming I would have waited

2 gigs PC3200 DDR ram Not sure you'll need that much at least untill vista

dual Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256mb (SLI setup) SLI is the biggest ripoff in gaming

250GB SATA 7200rpm 3.0gb/s hard drive Fine, whatever they are all the same to me (I've owned raptors to quantum fireballs)

Samsung DVD  (16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe) I honestly don't even know what half that shit is... whatever, all the same to me

Acer 17" 8ms LCD monitor (bitchin deal on it) If you are buying an LCD panel Dell is the best out there IMHO, Samsung otherwise.

also got a nifty little case, 500w power supply, shitload of extra case fans, stuff like that. Lots of fans huh? Hope it's not too loud

I also *gasp* purchased an OEM copy of windows XP. 146.95 for that. well that's good, I can get them free (and legal, being MSDNAA)

Just for kicks..I priced similar hardware through dell, and they were charging ~740 for just one of the video cards I put in my machine, I got both of them for a little over half that.

The LCD panel I picked was for 2 reasons..good price, and it had a lot of good reviews on newegg. If it sucks, I'll send it back and buy something else. No biggie.

I don't feel that SLI is a ripoff. I think it's an interesting concept, that will be beneficial, not only for gaming, but for 3d rendering, which I also do a lot of.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I built alot of mine finding stuff on sale for monitor and stuff
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drilling?  

If you could call it that...lol.

This hole has been nothing but problems.. Been here about 3 weeks, we've drilled MAYBE 3 days. Lost circulation eleventy billion times, MWD tool has failed at least 8 times..nothing but problems.

Oh well, free money. (except this paycheck, which just bought the aforementioned computer)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What are you going to use this computer for that you need two graphic cards? curious minds want to know.As cheap as hard drives are I would have gone a little bigger. You can never have to much. I have a 300 gig HD and 240 of it is already used up.Do you work on rigs or supply boats?Also with that 64 bit processor why not use the latest 64-bit compatible OS.

2 graphics cards : gaming, and 3d rendering.

Hard drives 250+160 external is more than I will ever need.

Work on rigs.

it will be dual booted with 64 bit linux.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Should be a pretty cool setup.

The CD/DVD w/Lightscribe is a cool thing too. check this out.

So that's what Lightscribe does. That's fuckin awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, time for me to get off work. I'll be back tomorrow to see what everyone had to say. I appreciate the opinions so far, keep em coming!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I ran dual 7800 GTX`s for a while then sold one to my brother.  I am not sure the SLI is needed with current games.  I do feel you did the right think on the ram by going with 2 gigs.  Battlefield 2 takes advantage of 2 gigs.  The processor choice is an area I will have to agree with a previous poster on.
I would have suggested a better processor and only one graphic card.

The case you bought better have good cooling and also a good power supply.  Too many times people
make the mistake of buying cheap cases and too small of power supplies.  It will cause lock ups due to heat and also  may not even start up if the power supply is too small with SLI.

Overall I feel you have chosen well and I hope you enjoy your system.  Which motherboard did you get?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I ran dual 7800 GTX`s for a while then sold one to my brother.  I am not sure the SLI is needed with current games.  I do feel you did the right think on the ram by going with 2 gigs.  Battlefield 2 takes advantage of 2 gigs.  The processor choice is an area I will have to agree with a previous poster on.
I would have suggested a better processor and only one graphic card.

The case you bought better have good cooling and also a good power supply.  Too many times people
make the mistake of buying cheap cases and too small of power supplies.  It will cause lock ups due to heat and also  may not even start up if the power supply is too small with SLI.

Overall I feel you have chosen well and I hope you enjoy your system.  Which motherboard did you get?

Ok, one more response then I've gotta split.

Case : comes with 3 fans, I bought 4 more.

PSU: 500w SLI ready.

MOBO: SLI ready, built by the same people who built the video cards. Actually came with one of em. Should be good enough for what I'm doing with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and another gun

I keep wanting to upgrade my POS but cant justify the money

You should look around a bit. You can often get computer components in excellent shape for reasonable prices on Ebay and even ARFCOM's EE.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like a good gaming rig. I disagree about the SLI videocards, but hey, enjoy. 2 GB memory is not out of line nowadays, especially if you want to play BF2. More and more games will be able to use more than 1 gb of memory, so it's good to have 2gb.

You can always overclock the processor anyways. I have one of the first Winchester core 3500s, and I've got it O/C'd to 2.53ghz air cooled. VERY stable.

As for waiting for a M2 socket processor, why? Other than using DDR2, and waiting 6 months after introduction for them to get most of the bugs out. There's always something better coming "any day" now, and if you always wait, you'll never get a system, because x or y is coming soon.

If you do alot of rendering/encoding, a dualcore system might have been a better choice though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Also, just a double-check to make sure your mobo power and power supply are compatible.  Specifically, the ATX 2.0 (24-pin) plugs can be an issue if not compatible.

Overall, I like it.    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that was the first thing i checked

the motherboard is a SLI motherboard that came with the video cards.

motherboards are cheap anyways..but i figure if it's made by the same people who made the video card, it can't be that bad :P

Is the mobo a socket 939?

In dec I built a very similiar rig but with one 7800GT and a Athlon 64 x2 3800+
and a 20' LCD from Costco for $400

You are gonna LOVE the system, it will be smokin' fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like a good machine. I just upgraded mine, I went with:

4000+ Athlon 64
2 gb ddr400
73gb Raptor
ATI X850XT Platinum Edition
PC Power and Cooling 510 P/S

I hear fantastic things about the SLI 7800's. I'll stick with ATI for now, though. Sounds like you
got a great machine.

Sam

P.S. How's Cameron look these days? I worked off of Cameron a few days after Rita, but we left from
Fourchon, surveyed for a few days and went back to Fourchon. Never really got close to land. I heard it
was BAD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice PC, but it cost about $1200 more than I'd personally spend.  I try to go cheap on everything digital because it just ages so fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#36]
No raid...Why no RAID? Meh... Your HDD is gonna be a bottleneck. A stripe helps a little...still a bottleneck though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Who made the GFX cards?

And what memory brand did you get?

Sounds like a hell of a build.

I got a Pentium 4 3.6
512 memory (bumping it to 1 gig Corsair next cash flow influx)
160 gig Hdd ( adding an extra 250 gig internal for music/movies)
PNY geforce 6600 256mb (gonna upgrade soon, but this card is nice right now)
pioneer DVD/CD burner (which is amazingly fast IMHO)
19" HP LCD monitor

So its not the best, but all together I've only spent $450 so far.

Want to upgrade: RAM, power supply, add another CD/DVD reader, HDD, and a new video card (maybe a 7800 when the price drop happens)

Its addicting huh?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#38]
You want an opinion? Uhhhh, okay (differences):

....I would have gotten a low-end dual-core AMD cpu, and planned on upgrading to a higher one when they went to the next socket and x2 got cheaper.

....I haven't heard/read that the dual-videocards really perform in accordance with what you spend over a single card.

....64-bit Windows is still not what I'd choose because the drivers for it still tend to have problems, and ther's not much of a performance gain over the 32-bit version.

....XP Pro for home users is a waste of money over buying XP Home, unless you KNOW why you need Pro (>99% of home users don't). Pro=$135, Home= $85.

....For DVD-RW drives I get the $40 Lite-Ons, and rarely have problems traced to them. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about the LightScribe drives, other than most people I've heard who have them end up not bothering to pay extra for Lightscribe disks and just use regular ones.  

....You shoulda gotten a WD Raptor hard drive, and used that for your OS drive. They cost more (roughly $180 for a 74-gig) but they do provide a noticeable increase in how your whole computer "feels"--and it is noticeable on ANY computer.

It may still run a lot better than what you had, but it isn't the way I'd have done it.
~

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You want an opinion? Uhhhh, okay (differences):

....I would have gotten a low-end dual-core AMD cpu, and planned on upgrading to a higher one when they went to the next socket and x2 got cheaper.  

....I haven't heard/read that the dual-videocards really perform in accordance with what you spend over a single card.

....64-bit Windows is still not what I'd choose because the drivers for it still tend to have problems, and ther's not much of a performance gain over the 32-bit version.

....XP Pro for home users is a waste of money over buying XP Home, unless you KNOW why you need Pro (>99% of home users don't). Pro=$135, Home= $85.

....For DVD-RW drives I get the $40 Lite-Ons, and rarely have problems traced to them. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about the LightScribe drives, other than most people I've heard who have them end up not bothering to pay extra for Lightscribe disks and just use regular ones.  

....You shoulda gotten a WD Raptor hard drive, and used that for your OS drive. They cost more (roughly $180 for a 74-gig) but they do provide a noticeable increase in how your whole computer "feels"--and it is noticeable on ANY computer.

It may still run a lot better than what you had, but it isn't the way I'd have done it.
~

I use pro for several reasons, mainly for remote access and networking. I don't believe home supports as many of these features as pro does.

I'm still a bit leery of XP64...for all 64 bit stuff, I'll be using linux.

the dual video cards are really a novelty at this point. the single 7800GT is most likely overkill for what I intend to do, light gaming and some 3d rendering with maya and 3d studio max and so forth. I do believe that the performance will be increased by having dual, with SLI they should be able to distribute the load a bit better to provide better overall performance, in theory. We all know that theory rarely applies when it comes to computers, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer ATI cards.

2G of ram, imho.

You might want to order a motherboard as well!  =)

I went with a 4000+,
K8NXP-SLI,
ATI X850XT PE
2G ram
and a stack of IBM/Hitachi 7200 rpm drives.
screams for games.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Since we have a few experts here. I noticed choppy play with BF2 I had a ATI Radeon X300se 128 MB video card. I am running a Pent. 4 3.2 with 1 gig of ram and XP pro. I upgraded video card to the ATI Radeon X1300( 450 Mhz/512 GDDR@533MHz). I noticed a difference in quality, would it be worth it for another gig of PC3200 DDR? Does BF2 and Xp use that much ram?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Since we have a few experts here. I noticed choppy play with BF2 I had a ATI Radeon X300se 128 MB video card. I am running a Pent. 4 3.2 with 1 gig of ram and XP pro. I upgraded video card to the ATI Radeon X1300( 450 Mhz/512 GDDR@533MHz). I noticed a difference in quality, would it be worth it for another gig of PC3200 DDR? Does BF2 and Xp use that much ram?

BF2 is an absolue pig of an application and it uses tons of resources with all the graphics features turned on.

If you want to use all the graphics features, your best bet is to have a more robust card than the X300se. That is one of ATIs lower powered cards so you should not expect it to run something like BF2 well. Right now the Nvidia cards outperform the ATI cards by a significant margin.

I have a 256MB 6800GT as my video card, and it runs BF2 with no problem.

ETA -- Just read your full message. You did upgrade your card. Good.

As far as the RAM goes, let me put it this way:

There has never been a person who has said "Gee....I wish I had less RAM in this system". It might not solve all your problems, but it sure as hell can't hurt either. BF2 and XP are both really piggy on resources. With that kind of video card, you probably don't really need the extra RAM if you already have 1 gig plus of RAM in the system now.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice!  You need to add an Audigy 2 sound card though.  Then it will rock.

newegg rocks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I prefer ATI cards.

2G of ram, imho.

You might want to order a motherboard as well!  =)

I went with a 4000+,
K8NXP-SLI,
ATI X850XT PE
2G ram
and a stack of IBM/Hitachi 7200 rpm drives.
screams for games.

The motherboard has been mentioned several times in this thread.

It's a SLI compatible, made by the same people that made the video cards. Should do well enough.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Work on rigs.

i knew that was coming.  what distro .   ive been running fedora c4 64 on my amd 64.  and it runs great
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BF2 is an absolue pig of an application and it uses tons of resources with all the graphics features turned on.

If you want to use all the graphics features, your best bet is to have a more robust card than the X300se. That is one of ATIs lower powered cards so you should not expect it to run something like BF2 well. Right now the Nvidia cards outperform the ATI cards by a significant margin.

I have a 256MB 6800GT as my video card, and it runs BF2 with no problem.

ETA -- Just read your full message. You did upgrade your card. Good.

As far as the RAM goes, let me put it this way:

There has never been a person who has said "Gee....I wish I had less RAM in this system". It might not solve all your problems, but it sure as hell can't hurt either. BF2 and XP are both really piggy on resources. With that kind of video card, you probably don't really need the extra RAM if you already have 1 gig plus of RAM in the system now.

Let me tell you about my BF2 experiences. I have a A64 OC'd to 2.53ghz, a BFG 6800 Ultra. With 1gb memory, I had to run most video settings at medium, or I'd get severe stuttering, especially at the start of a game. When I went to 2gb, the stuttering vanished, and I can use High on nearly all settings, with framerates still in the 60-70s mostly (30s in action scenes).

See here for more info on the difference between 1gb and 2gb www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/tech/AN506_1GB_vs_2GB.pdf

For most games, 2gb is overkill right now, however, with dual channel motherboards, you can run 2 or 4 memory sticks (retaining dual channel capabilities), not 1 or 3. If you run 4 sticks, you can't generally get the 1T command rating reliably. So you either have 2x512mb sticks, or a 1gb stick in single channel mode. If you decide to upgrade to 2 gb, you either have to have 2x1gb or 4x512mb (losing the 1T command rating, about 3% performance). You might as well have the 2x1gb, considering how cheap memory is right now (I've seen Corsair Valueram for $67 for a 1Gb stick).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Work on rigs.

i knew that was coming.  what distro .   ive been running fedora c4 64 on my amd 64.  and it runs great

FC4, I might give FC5 a try, but I already have FC4 on disk. Who knows, it will be a week or so before I get home, and who knows what I come up with by the time I have it all put together and running.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#48]
BF2 is definitely a RAM hog. With 1gig my machine was pretty choppy. A buddy's machine with
1.5gig played fine. My recent upgrade brings me up to 2 gigs, and all is happy.

You should *HEAR* how good the new Creative Labs X-Fi's are!! Especially in BF2.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
BF2 is definitely a RAM hog. With 1gig my machine was pretty choppy. A buddy's machine with
1.5gig played fine. My recent upgrade brings me up to 2 gigs, and all is happy.

You should *HEAR* how good the new Creative Labs X-Fi's are!! Especially in BF2.

Sam

I'm thinking of trying BF2 out. Do they have a downloadable demo or something?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I would have:
1) only gotten 7800gt - I'm cheap and a newer faster card will out soon enough anyway
2) gotten a dualcore - I like the responsiveness of multiprocessor systems
3) 19" LCD - the more desktop real estate the better (both virtual and real )
4) an extra hard drive setup in raid 0 with the first - cheap performance
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top