Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:14 PM EDT
If your employer is large enough that they have to allow FMLA absenses, do most husbands take paternity leave when their wives have kids?  Seems stupid if you don't take it (6 weeks of paid time off).  Yet I feel strangely screwed when my male coworkers do this (having to work O/T, extra shifts while they're gone).  Can you tell I'm single?

How is it where you work?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
FMLA does not cover PAID leave. It only allows up to 12 peaks of unpaid leave. Better read the fine print.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
6 weeks paid? Never heard of that one.  

www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

My company gives two paid but we do it out of the goodness of our hearts and the fact that we own the place.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If your employer is large enough that they have to allow FMLA absenses, do most husbands take paternity leave when their wives have kids?  Seems stupid if you don't take it (6 weeks of paid time off).  Yet I feel strangely screwed when my male coworkers do this (having to work O/T, extra shifts while they're gone).  Can you tell I'm single?

How is it where you work?

Paternity leave means you get up to 12 weeks off WITHOUT pay.  If your company is generous they may give you 1 to2 weeks paid leave.

Also they dont have to give the same job back.  They have to give you an equivalent job at the same rate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]

6 weeks of paid time off

Don't believe it is paid.  You can take the maximum allowence off. but there is no requirement for it to be PTO.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
After a baby a WOMAN is given 6 to 8 weeks of PAID leave.  If she wants 6 more those are not paid.  Take if from someone who has to sign 5-6 per week.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Males and females are allowed the leave too. (IIRC)

males = paternity leave
females =maternity leave
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I guess employers don't have to pay for leave, but mine does (up to 6 weeks) - this comes out of your banked sick time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK, I guess employers don't have to pay for leave, but mine does (up to 6 weeks) - this comes out of your banked sick time.

Actually they dont.  Most generous type of companies give you 1 to 2 weeks of paid time without dipping into your sick bank.   They are just allowing you to use your sick time for something else.  Other companies give you the 1 to 2 weeks for free and leave your sick bank alone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

6 weeks of paid time off

Don't believe it is paid.  You can take the maximum allowence off. but there is no requirement for it to be PTO.

It must be up to the company or how long you have worked for them. I had surgery and was off for 2 months with full pay with no draw from my sick bank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top