So is this just posturing so that the Brits have some leverage or is this a serious consideration? I'm going to say it's an attempt to gain some leverage. Hell, I don't see a problem with sharing tech with the British, I'd say they've earned it and it seems they've payed for it too. What say you?
ETA: In before the French jokes and Vito aka Andy.
ETA 2: Oh and just because these threads are better with pics.... F35 wins the bauty contest in my opinion.
Wouldn't have the codes? Yeah right.
The dispute is over sharing the source code of the software. Most repairs could be done in the UK. It appears the US is a little touchy about source codes right now.
this is posturing by the brits.
this is the synopsis as I understand it:
1) Brits miffed by lack of technology transfer on technology they feel they helped pay for. They probably had a valid point.
2) Brits start making noise about pulling out of JSF, and alternative engine that RR/GE are developing.
3) Pentagon thinks about it, and says OK, thats fine with us. We can handle the developement ourselves, and the we'll cancel the alternative engine and buy MRE's and body armor instead with the savings. Good luck with that Frog crap.
4) Brits then say "holy crap we were kidding" once they realize the financial loss to BAE, RR, etc.
5) Tony Blair calls Bush to lobby for not killing alt engine.
6) Pentagon, Congress, and President agree that killing alt engine is a good thing, okay to go it alone on JSF developement.
7) GE/RR executives take wagon load of hookers and blow to Washington to lobby for alt engine, other Brit involvement.
8) matter is still unresolved.
comments and corrections welcome.
Hookers and blow always works, especially by the wagon load. Washington will cave to GE/RR.