Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 6:04:50 AM EDT
(Most) all of you have poor opinions of the "Hollywood" crowd, and yes, sometimes for good reason.

BUT you tend to NOT give credit where credit is die.

I (toally by accident  - HONEST) flipped the channel to MSNBC ( I believe BOTH FOX and CNN were on commercial break, So I stopped by MSNBC, 'cause RARE occasion, Imus is better than a commercial).

I cam in in the MIDDLE of the chat between Cher and Imus, but the "jist" I got is that she had PLANNED on stopping by a rehab center (sorry didn't catch where) for an HOUR, and ended up spending the DAY there (I'm guessing in the last week or so) also the rehab center that they were building to serve the soldiers who had lost/damaged a limb in the war. She was totally "inspired" and "impressed" and wrote a check to finish the center that wasn't being funded by the government!

She admitted it was a "pittance" but Imus said it was $300,000, which for HER, likely IS "chump change" but hey, it's STILL a LOT of $$!

This is all I could locate:

Cher sure is an early riser

The sun was barely up yesterday when 57-year-old pop diva Cher, resting from her so-called "farewell concert tour" at her Miami Beach mansion, dialed up C-SPAN and, without identifying herself, gave "Washington Journal" host Peter Slem a detailed account of her recent visit to wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

She talked a blue streak about a variety of subjects, including "the unbelievable courage" of the soldiers, her dislike of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Attorney General John Ashcroft, and her deep disillusionment with Ross Perot.

"The thing that I was most shocked by as I was walking into the hospital, the first person I ran into was a boy that was about 19 or 20 years old who had lost both of his arms," Cher said. "I walked into the hospital and visited all these boys all day long. Everyone had lost either one limb or two limbs ... A couple of the boys told me it was because their vehicles - the rockets pierce their vehicles so much - it's like being kind of in a tin can."

Slem, who initially had no idea who his caller was, eventually had trouble getting her off the phone.

"It took everything that I have as a person to not, you know, break down when I was talking to these guys," said Cher, who visited the hospital around the time of her June 29 concert in Washington. "This was the most heinous thing I've ever seen ... I wonder why none of Cheney, [Deputy Defense Secretary Paul] Wolfowitz, [Iraq Administrator Paul] Bremmer, the President, why aren't they taking pictures with all these guys? Because I don't understand why these guys are so hidden."

Slem finally unmasked the caller's identity in a game of Animal, Vegetable or Celebrity.

Q: "What were you doing at Walter Reed? Are you a volunteer?"

A: "No, I was asked to come and spend the day. I was working that day in Washington, D.C."

Q: "What kind of work do you do?"

A: "I'm an entertainer."

Q: "What kind of entertaining? Are you USO?"

A: "No. I really don't want to go much past that. But -"

Q: "Is this Cher?"

A: "Yeah."

Afterward, Slem told me, "It didn't occur to me that it would be Cher. But I recognized her voice. I'm a big Cher fan. I own every CD she ever put out."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just found it interesting, thought others might as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top