Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
www.modbee.com/24hour/nation/story/3204189p-11920556c.html

Teacher to return after having sex change

AP Photo/MARY GODLESKI

Lily McBeth, 71, in her home in Little Egg Harbor Township, N.J., Monday, Feb. 27, 2006, is seeking to return to substitute teaching at Eagleswood Elementary School in Eagleswood Township, N.J., after undergoing a sex change. School officials have accepted her application, but some in the southern Ocean County community are against the idea of a transgender teacher teaching their children.
AP Photo/MARY GODLESKI

By JOHN CURRAN, Associated Press Writer
Last Updated: February 28, 2006, 01:21:09 AM PST

EAGLESWOOD TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - To students at Eagleswood Elementary School, she used to be Mr. McBeth. Now, after undergoing a sex change, 71-year-old Lily McBeth is ready to return to teaching as Miss McBeth.

Despite criticism from parents, the school board on Monday stood by its decision to allow McBeth to resume working as a substitute teacher.

After two hours of public debate and a private meeting with McBeth and her lawyer, the board took no action on calls by several parents to bar McBeth from returning to the school where she taught for five years before becoming a woman.

"It was magnificent," McBeth said afterward. "You saw democracy in action."

McBeth, a retired sales executive who was married for 33 years and had three children, underwent gender reassignment surgery last year and re-applied for her job under her new name.

McBeth on Monday told the school board and the crowd that she loves teaching and children, and looks forward to returning to the classroom.

"This is not something I got into just as a whim," she said.

Several parents said children in the school - which consists of kindergarten through sixth grade - were not old enough to understand the concept of changing one's gender.

"I, as a parent, am appalled to have this issue brought into my child's psychology," Steve Bond said.

Vincent Mustacchio predicted "chaos" at the school when the students learned of McBeth's surgery.

Young children will be confused by the conflicting appearance of McBeth, who has a deep voice and masculine features but otherwise looks like a woman, other parents said.

"I will not allow you to put my kids in a petri dish and hope it all turns out fine," said Mark Schnepp, who had taken out an ad in a local newspaper urging parents to turn out for the meeting.

Several people spoke in support of McBeth, including three transgender people, two former students of McBeth's and a handful of others, saying that the fact that she is a good teacher was more important than whether she appears as a man or a woman in class.

"There's really nothing to fear because a person is transgender," said Karina Mari, a mother of three school-age children who said she has transgender relatives.

School board attorney Paul Carr said McBeth was a good teacher who had received favorable reviews during her tenure as a substitute.

Earlier this month, the board voted 4-1 to accept her application to return to the classroom.

It's unclear how soon McBeth will resume teaching, Carr said. That depends on the need for substitutes and the availability of certified teachers who get priority when a spot opens up, he said.

Steven Goldstein, chairman of Garden State Equality, a gay rights advocacy group supporting McBeth's bid to resume teaching, called the school board's action historic.

*twitch*

I thought this was going to be a CA thing. Fuck NJ.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]
????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What the hell is the point of a 71-year-old having a sex change?  That's just creepy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"I, as a parent, am appalled to have this issue brought into my child's psychology," Steve Bond said.

What a typical homophobic bigot.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless without........Oh never mind!

Dude.....if you really want to see pics of a 71 year old transexual, I think it would be time to start seeing that therapist we have been talking about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Good God! 71 years old and a sex change

Guess the little kiddies might as well get used to the freak show
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
<southpark> Mr. Ms. Garrison? </southpark>
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm I hope...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#10]
so she started teaching at 66 years of age? what the hell did he do before that? It's not like they'll keep having the same kids in class every year, I don't understand why parents would think it's confusing. Kids pretty much lump all old people into the same category: OLD People.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
And she's immediately arrested for having sex with her student.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats a man baby yeah! And a fugly one at that!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

nandotimes.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/TEACHER_SEX_CHANGE_NJMG10102280805.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little......

This goes real well with the pee drinker story.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nandotimes.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/TEACHER_SEX_CHANGE_NJMG10102280805.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little......

This goes real well with the pee drinker story.....

In some cultures, all they eat is their own vomit. I read that in a book once.  Not really,  but . . . really.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As the parent of a first grader, I am apalled at your response, efpeter.
Children of elementary school age should not be exposed to this sort of thing.
It is just too far from thier reality, or what they should have to wrap thier brains around.
Kids of this age are just beginning to learn basic social skills, and don't need to deal with this person's issues.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is just too far from thier reality, or what they should have to wrap thier brains around.
Kids of this age are just beginning to learn basic social skills, and don't need to deal with this person's issues.

DaddyDett

I could'nt have said it any better.

This is a very confusing thing to put into the heads of children, who are likely quite secure with their penises and vaginas, but now will come home saying...
"Daddy, I'm gonna be a girl when I grow up! Can I put on mommy's make up?"  

These people don't need fucking sex changes, they need psychotherapy, and most of all, they need to stay the HELL AWAY from kids!

And if that makes me a homophobe, so be it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DaddyDett

I could'nt have said it any better.

This is a very confusing thing to put into the heads of children, who are likely quite secure with their penises and vaginas, but now will come home saying...
"Daddy, I'm gonna be a girl when I grow up! Can I put on mommy's make up?"  

These people don't need fucking sex changes, they need psychotherapy, and most of all, they need to stay the HELL AWAY from kids!

And if that makes me a homophobe, so be it.

+1 stay away from my kids.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not too comfortable with the term sex "change".

'Altered', 'reduced', 'removed' -- maybe.  How about 'Disguised'!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#19]
He/she "shim" has a head the size of a five gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"It was magnificent," McBeth said afterward. "You saw democracy in action."

So, it seems the majority of parents do not want this teacher back in school, but if the school board ignores them and goes with their plan anyway, that is true democracy.  What a crock.

I wouldn't want this person teaching my kids anything either.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#22]
String her / it up from the nearest pine tree!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread is most definatley off the masturbation list.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#24]
HOORAY for Public Schools!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Mrs Garrison:
I'd rather be a woman who can't have periods than a fag. Hey guys, this girl is staying a woman! Who wants to pound my vag? Girl power!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Have I read this correctly 71yo getting a sex change, WHY?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
<southpark> Mr. Ms. Garrison? </southpark>

Exactly what I was thinking!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#28]
WTF...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Ugh.

Gay teacher?  Doesn't bother me.

Tranny teacher?  Ugh.  Maybe if she could pull it off better but at this point she is going to either be the laughing stock of the school or seriously disrupt some childhood development.

I had a gay teacher... none of us knew what gay was at the time!  We thought he was just funny.  A tranny teacher is going to blow their minds... parents are going to have to confront the issue earlier than they had planned.

Ugh.

- BG

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#30]
BURN IT ! BURN IT NOW !!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

efpeter <--- what an inconsiderate asshat of parental concern.

With that said, I would not have complained... just moved. You cannot change liberal schools other than to leave their area, which affects their money (schools are paid by how many kids they have enrolled and in attendance).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Look on the bright side- he's neutered!

Can't reproduce, that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Not like it's going to raping anyone any time soon...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a degenerate freak.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Look on the bright side- he's neutered!

Can't reproduce, that's a good thing.

Too late....

McBeth, a retired sales executive who was married for 33 years and had three children, underwent gender reassignment surgery last year and re-applied for her job under her new name.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ugh.

Gay teacher?  Doesn't bother me.

Tranny teacher?  Ugh.  Maybe if she could pull it off better but at this point she is going to either be the laughing stock of the school or seriously disrupt some childhood development.

I had a gay teacher... none of us knew what gay was at the time!  We thought he was just funny.  A tranny teacher is going to blow their minds... parents are going to have to confront the issue earlier than they had planned.

Ugh.

- BG

Hypocrite.  Either there are moral standards or there aren't.  If one pervert is okay with you, then why not the other?  I have never understood the hypocrisy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top