Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:32:00 PM EDT
Man!!! Why is it when you shake another man's hand they shake it like a friggin mushpot? Be a real man and shake hands  DAGNABBIT!!!

I had a customer that shook hands like that and that was so freaky.... Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

FREAK!!!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I judge alot by a mans handshake
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
as do i.  that's one of the major things my father taught me.

shake a man's hand frimly, and look him square in the eye.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill Clinton shakes hands all weak and pussified like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Firm but no squeeze here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well if you were blind you would have asked, "Did I just shake hands with a woman" But then again, women shake hands stronger than this guy...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I know what you mean.  I hate a soft hand shake.

Shook hands with a guy at work the other day, to look at him you would figure that he had one of those"don't hurt my hand" type shakes, nope, he had a "Man" shake.  I was pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate shaking hands. My hands sweat alot, and it always seems to be worst about five minutes before I get introduced to someone.

Still, anyone who sticks their hand out gets a normal, albeit sweaty, handshake.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotta love when someone gives you the dead fish.

As someone else said, shake firmly and look them in the eye!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't hold it against them, but it deffinitely gets on my nerves when a guy either barely grips my hand when I shake his or he does a quick shake and releases before my hand is all the way in his grip.

I deffinitely notice when I receive a good handshake.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I  had that happen like a month or so ago.

It was disturbing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Agreed. I will not trust a man who shakes hands like a wet dishrag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of the time it seems like I am geting into a contest witha  dude over who has the strongest grip. That ALWAYS happens when females are around, especially if the guy has his girl nearby.

I cannot stand it when someone hands me a dead fish. Its even more insulting than having them not shake my hand at all. I end up being embarrased for them and I hate that feeling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
WTF?

Sorry had too
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
"Forgive me if I don't shake hands"

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
What gets me is when I get a handshake from someone with vise-grips for hands, and they squeeze right across my joints.  It damn near immobilizes my hand, and I cant grip at all.  To top it off, my wrists have been weak all my life.  For example, if I bowl more than 2 games or shoot more than 30rds out of my Witness 10mm, I can't use my right wrist at all without pain or reduced range of motion/sounding like breaking spaghetti.

But, I can shoot a 1911 in .45acp or a G29 in 10mm without any pain at all. I have yet to figure this out...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]
In before the handshaking is ghey loonies!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Did you spit in yours first?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't shake people's hands...
People do odd things with their hands, things that I would prefer not to handle...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I really hate that, makes me feel creepy like they are trying to "hold hands" like you do with a woman.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought a good handling of the equipment was S.O.P?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Firm but no squeeze here.

Correct! Give a firm handshake but do not overdo it and crush the other persons hand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to work for a guy that threw around lumber and drywall his whole life.  The guy was in his 50s and roughly 5'10" and about 250lbs.  He didn't have a hand, he had a paw.  Every time he shook my hand he physically hurt me, and I don't shake like a wuss. The scary thing was that he wasn't even trying to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Firm? Yes...Straight in the eyes..Absolutely...Crush my hand, and you made yourself an enemy...Toughguy!

1911 POST
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
People do odd things with their hands, things that I would prefer not to handle...

You wouldn't happen to be Arab and use you left hand to wipe your ass...  Uh... nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude ... I was at a trade show a few months ago, went up to a booth and started talking to one of the Reps there ... Sounded like a place I'd want to follow up with later so I grabbed some of their materials and business cards, thanked the guy and reached to shake his hand ....

Nothing.

Stump up to his elbow.

How the hell are you supposed to deal with that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to be Arab and use you left hand to wipe your ass...  Uh... nevermind.

Possibility of some Persian very, very far back, but no.
People beat off with their hands, so in my mind shaking their hands is the same thing as beating them off...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Ooooh yikes. That's an awkward situation buddy. I'd just give a sincere apology without coming off like you pity him. I would respect that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dude ... I was at a trade show a few months ago, went up to a booth and started talking to one of the Reps there ... Sounded like a place I'd want to follow up with later so I grabbed some of their materials and business cards, thanked the guy and reached to shake his hand ....

Nothing.

Stump up to his elbow.

Something you should try and observe first i guess. My uncle broke his neck in a car crash and doesn`t have any function of his right arm, and sometimes i forget and go to shake hands and it makes me feel like an ass. But he extends his left hand and i shake with my left hand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]
shake his nubbin
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#30]
When I shake i'm not happy until I hear the other guy's bones starting to pop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

As do I.
Firm grip and a precise shake.
I also judge fellow men by a) their dress shoes (shined or unshined) and b) wether they wear a belt or not.

A belt is the mark of a civilized man.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought a good handling of the equipment was S.O.P?  

Unfortunately, I did't think of it at the time.  A high-schooler meeting the president was a pretty big deal, at least to me it was, regardless of his politics.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate a mushy handshake.

Actually I would prefer no handshaking at all. I don't like people, and even more so, I don't like touching them. Who knows where their hand has been.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing.

Stump up to his elbow.

Something you should try and observe first i guess. My uncle broke his neck in a car crash and doesn`t have any function of his right arm, and sometimes i forget and go to shake hands and it makes me feel like an ass. But he extends his left hand and i shake with my left hand.

Pretty much that's exactly what happened ... He offered his left hand instead, I was a bit surprised, but managed to not look like a complete ass.

Ingeniuosly, the guy had his right sleeve (the stump side) rolled up tightly just above the tip, and had a stack of business cards tucked into the cuff, so he could shake with the left, and offer a business card with the right.

It was weird.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.
I also judge fellow men by a) their dress shoes (shined or unshined) and b) wether they wear a belt or not.

Come on Doc...I'm from Kaintucky. My dogs cain't breathe with shoes on...and I aint never found no beltloops on my bib overalls....but I'll shake the shit outta yer hand!

Hell, take ya a good ol pull on this here bottle of bourbon and tell me we aint civilized!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing.

Stump up to his elbow.

Pretty much that's exactly what happened ... He offered his left hand instead, I was a bit surprised, but managed to not look like a complete ass.

Ingeniuosly, the guy had his right sleeve (the stump side) rolled up tightly just above the tip, and had a stack of business cards tucked into the cuff, so he could shake with the left, and offer a business card with the right.

It was weird.

Yea it is awkward, you just automatically throw out your right hand. I`m sure ppl who don`t have use of their right arms are use to it, and understand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.

So the frayed extension cord I use for a belt means I'm civilized? Well, don't that beat all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a big fan of the 'Medieval' Hand-shake as well.  Shakers grip each other by the wrist and shake vigorously.  It's a 'who's got the biggest forearms' thing.  Seems very cool in a barbaric, gauntlet wearing horned-helmet sort of way.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm strange I guess, I don't like shaking hands with men....and I certainly don't overthink how soft, hard, or firm it is.

The whole custom of meeting another man and just having to touch him, always has struck me as creepy.

I'm not rude, I'll shake a man's hand and give him a firm greeting, but I don't need it to be a certain way to make me happy.

Frankly, I always wonder about men who get all torqued up about how other men shake their hands. Does it matter to you, on a gut level? Ask yourself why, watch Brokeback Mountain, and get back to me.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.

Come on Doc...I'm from Kaintucky. My dogs cain't breathe with shoes on...and I aint never found no beltloops on my bib overalls....but I'll shake the shit outta yer hand!

Hell, take ya a good ol pull on this here bottle of bourbon and tell me we aint civilized!

Hell, brutha!
I ain't never refused a drink offered me yet.
You boys is alright in my book.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.

A belt with a pistol on it is the mark of a civilized man.

fixed
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate limp-wristed handshakes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing.

Stump up to his elbow.

Dunno......tell us.

I had a customer like that... he just offered his left hand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I judge people by their spelling abilities!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I hate it when they miss, and grab just my fingers.  

+Eleventy Billion!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.

Where do you guys come up w/ this stuff?

a handshake and clothing really communicates something??

me?  i grip firm but don't squeeze since about 30 years ago i read in dear abby that it can hurt people w/ arthritis to shake hands.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As do I.

Where do you guys come up w/ this stuff?

a handshake and clothing really communicates something??

me?  i grip firm but don't squeeze since about 30 years ago i read in dear abby that it can hurt people w/ arthritis to shake hands.  

Yes.
Show up to a job interview like a Homeboy/White trash.
Show up dressed in suit and tie, freshly shaved and with polished shoes.
Tell me clothing does not communicate something.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate it when they miss, and grab just my fingers.  

+Eleventy Billion!

I did that once... I was in the middle of a migraine and my vision was screwed up... I missed and shook his crotch....

....NO NO NO im just kidding... grabbed the fingers.. I felt quite the feminine one..

AWKWARD!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top