Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 12:55:17 PM EDT
Well my four years is almost up in my beloved Marine Corp and now I can't wait to be an average Joe with an everyday job.
My wife and my kids are happy about this  and I got sick of having to tell my 5 year old boy every time my wife had to drop me off work that I was not going back to Iraq.

So I'm moving back to southern IL around Carbondale IL I was told it was a good place to go hunting and fishing and the people have that nice southern hospitality down there. I was also told they had cotton mouths down there. If anyone could give me more info on this place it would be nice. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
IL is almost as anti-gun as CA, dude. In fact, more so in some respects. What about IN?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Illinois has some of the most repressive gun laws in the nation. That said, Carbondale is a college town, and is near lots of good fishing and hunting ground. The Garden of the Gods isn't too terribly far away and is on National Forrest lands.

If your into firearms rights, take a look at the Paducah KY area. KY has some of the BEST gun laws in the country and isn't very far from Carbondale.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I lived in Springfield and went to Carbondale many times.  I had a friend in school there and did a lot of rock climbing down there.  Except for the really bad gun laws it was a nice place.  This was about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea Bro , the gun laws suck here , ( too many Chicago commies callin the shots) , you will have to get a I.F.O.I.D card - a little plastic photo ID to own a gun here, or even buy a box of 22lr. from a gun shop - this is registration of the GUN owner !---

on the plus side , where you are moving , there are lottsa places to shoot ,  im up here in Chicago , and i gotta drive almost 2 hrs. to get to a outdoor rifle range !
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't go to Illinois, far, far worse than Kali.
Not just the gun laws suck - terribly oppressive taxes as well.
Anywhere but Ill.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay far, far AWAY from here! We might be passing a very sweeping semi-auto ban here very soon. I am moving to Indiana.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to school down there for 2 years, and my parents live about 30 minutes north of there.  I loved it, and I'd move back in a heartbeat.  Gun laws suck... no CCW or class 3, and an AWB in the state house that looks like it could go somewhere.  Try Paducah or Cape Girardeau... same great area, less liberal assclowns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
College town! WOO HOO!!
Go W.IL.U
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
College town! WOO HOO!!
Go W.IL.U

eh? Southern Illinois is in carbondale

Western Illinois is in Macomb
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
very restrictive gun laws, and very few decent ranges. i live in S. il for 4 years. I asked to get sent to ND, and never regret the day i left IL.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife grew up in Mt Vernon and went to SIU in Carbondale. Her family is still there. Place is pretty desolate, but a sportsman's paradise. Property tax and values are extremely resonable. The Lake of Egypt is nice, as is Marion. Poor White Trash is a movie shot on location there. It is a very modest region with alot of meth lab problems as well. Mary's is a nice restaurant in Herrin. Italian Village is a decent pizza joint in Carbondale. Tres Hombres is a Tex-Mex bar in Carbondale that is popular.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yea Bro , the gun laws suck here , ( too many Chicago commies callin the shots) , you will have to get a I.F.O.I.D card - a little plastic photo ID to own a gun here, or even buy a box of 22lr. from a gun shop - this is registration of the GUN owner !---

on the plus side , where you are moving , there are lottsa places to shoot ,  im up here in Chicago , and i gotta drive almost 2 hrs. to get to a outdoor rifle range !

I use to live in the burbs of chicago and I stil got my F.O.I.D card and if the gun laws are not as bad as they where 4 years ago I'm good. This I think is only going to be a place we stay for a little then its off to TN for me.

Quoted:
Stay far, far AWAY from here! We might be passing a very sweeping semi-auto ban here very soon. I am moving to Indiana.

Its gotton that much worse in the 4 years I'v been gone? Hell if that happions then I'm off to TN or KY I'm not sure they both great places and good gun laws. I'v missed out on so much stuff being in the Marines. I need to email you and ask you what are all the new laws. I'm still trying to get MY DSA FAL or a M1A maybe both
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
You can check gun laws on www.packing.org

It's much easier to avoid Illinois in the first place, than to move there and then move again.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Its gotton that much worse in the 4 years I'v been gone? Hell if that happions then I'm off to TN or KY I'm not sure they both great places and good gun laws. I'v missed out on so much stuff being in the Marines. I need to email you and ask you what are all the new laws. I'm still trying to get MY DSA FAL or a M1A maybe both

It has gotten that much worse... spend some time in the IL hometown forum to see what we're up against.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Western Illinois is in Macomb

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Southern Illinois = NO JOBS!

Illinois = No Guns!

Unless you were from here when you joined and can take advantage of Illinois Veterans Grant dont bother with this state!

From one Jarhead to another!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to SIU and I had friends whope stayed there for while after college. If you have a job lined up, you should be in decent shape. Home prices are very reasonble. You have the Shawnee National Forest down there. They say the pig hunting is good and rumour is that a mountain lion has been spotted. You have the Mississippi river to the west and the Ohio to the south, so if you like boating there is plenty of water. All in all, I would say its a pretty decent place to live and raise family, but I don't know what the public schools are like
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Go to western Ky. Not far from carbondale, and still has great hunting and fishing and good firearm laws.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]

I lived in Wood River, a bit North of Carbondale (near St. Louis) & it's a world away from Chicago.  The folks in Southern Illinois are very friendly and there's tons of good hunting and fishing.  You will be required to have a FOID card to own firearms & that sucked but was more of a "principle" issue with me than a real problem.  I live in Texas now & it rocks but don't let people convince you all of Illinios is a shithole like Chicago.  Good Luck and THANKS for your service!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Illinois has some of the most repressive gun laws in the nation. That said, Carbondale is a college town, and is near lots of good fishing and hunting ground. The Garden of the Gods isn't too terribly far away and is on National Forrest lands.

If your into firearms rights, take a look at the Paducah KY area. KY has some of the BEST gun laws in the country and isn't very far from Carbondale.

Where does everyone get this? We have no assualt weapons ban no mag capacity ban. You can even have Toitle 2 as a dealer or manufactor. You can privately own an AOW.Chicago is another country. You do have to have a FOID but its no diffrent than a 4473 anywhere else. State does not keep track of what you have. Anymore so than any other state that says they dont. No concealed carry
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
No AOW in Illinois.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]
tag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We have no assualt weapons ban no mag capacity ban.

Where the hell have YOU been?

Have you seen what is being discussed in YOUR legislature recently, and the comments made by your lawmakers about it?

And why the fuck settle for a state w/o CCW and with gun owner licensing when there are so many WITH CCW and WITHOUT the FOID bullshit?

I hope Rock River, White Oak, LMT, Les Baer, and Springfield move to Ohio.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does everyone get this? We have no assualt weapons ban no mag capacity ban. You can even have Toitle 2 as a dealer or manufactor. You can privately own an AOW.Chicago is another country. You do have to have a FOID but its no diffrent than a 4473 anywhere else. State does not keep track of what you have. Anymore so than any other state that says they dont. No concealed carry

I gotta disagree with you on the I.F.O.I.D card thing - as i went to school at ASU  for 2 years and found out what a real gunfriendly state was like -  F.O.I.D. --  my best friends Dad had his whole gun collection stolen in a burglary , and he was afraid to call the cops and report it - cus his FOID was expired , he thought the cops woul arrest him !---  F.O.I.D.= the commie way to register the GUN owner , if you dont think they keep records on who has a F.O.I.D - then what is the point to having one
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Why someone (especially a gun owners) would choose to move to Illinois is beyond me.

Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana or Missouri would all be better choices IMHO.

Of course, Texas would be the BEST choice possible:

1. No State Income Tax
2. Booming economy with lots of jobs available
3. Very good property values
4. Low cost of living overall
5. Lots of hunting
6. Very gun friendly
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Southern Illinois = NO JOBS!

Illinois = No Guns!

Unless you were from here when you joined and can take advantage of Illinois Veterans Grant dont bother with this state!

From one Jarhead to another!

Thats is why I'm going back there so that I can get $1,125.00 or so a month in my pocket from my GI bill (I got the $600 kicker that ups it to an exter $184 a month.) But I still get my school for free and I close to the states that I want to move to. I'm still looking at getting a PD job in KY or TN and have my family stay in IL untill I get done with PD boot camp stuff.

Ill be close to TN and KY to take there PD tests and stuff. I joined in IL so I'm going to get my free schooling from them.

Quoted:
Why someone (especially a gun owners) would choose to move to Illinois is beyond me.

Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana or Missouri would all be better choices IMHO.

Of course, Texas would be the BEST choice possible:

1. No State Income Tax
2. Booming economy with lots of jobs available
3. Very good property values
4. Low cost of living overall
5. Lots of hunting
6. Very gun friendly

The only reson I'm going there is because of the free schooling and the grand+ in my pocket every month. I like TX also and looking for jobs there but I need to find out what side I want to go oneast west north or south TX. I know I want to be in a place that has lots of trees no more desert for me please.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I feel for you.  Unfortunately, I dated a guy about 10 years ago from that area.  The gun laws stink for sure.  Not much going on down there, pretty rural as I recall.  Loaded with white trash except for the areas around the college.  Even though there are places to shoot, the laws aren't friendly for doing so from what I've been told.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Marion native here.

Carbondale grad in 1  /1/2 years.

Don't stay in Illinois . If you are going for the SIU education, good for you. It's a great school. Just don't plan on staying here after graduation.

If you need a drinking buddy..... This is a great place to ask

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Marion native here.

Don't stay in Illinois . If you are going for the SIU education, good for you. It's a great school. Just don't plan on staying here after graduation.

Do you know where the VFW bar is at around there? If so is it a good one? Also do they got any micro brews around there?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marion native here.

Ao you know where the VFW bar is at around there? If so is it a good one? Also do they got any micro brews around there?

No clue. However, in my field, it's mostly young guys that have been recently discharged. I can ask.

As far as micro brews, theres copper dragon and pinchpenny that seem to be the most popular.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for your service! If you come to WIU look me up!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Lots of nice people in S. IL and is NOTHING like the Chicago area.  The atmosphere is redneck southern (not a bad thing), for the most part, and the countryside in the southeastern part is beautiful.  Frankly, the areas in the southwestern part are depressing.  I can't speak for availability of PD jobs there (except that you probably DON'T want to be one in Cairo) but most other industries, including prisons, have moved out.  Western KY is becoming a little more developed, around the Paducah area, but I don't think that the PD work there is very lucrative.  Just south of there is Murray with a small regional state university and is a VERY nice place to live.

You might think of central or eastern KY.  Of course there is UK in Lexington and if you're still interested in law enforcement, there is a LE program at Eastern KY University in Richmond.  Both areas are great places to live.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Lots of nice people in S. IL and is NOTHING like the Chicago area.  The atmosphere is redneck southern (not a bad thing), for the most part, and the countryside in the southeastern part is beautiful.  Frankly, the areas in the southwestern part are depressing.  I can't speak for availability of PD jobs there (except that you probably DON'T want to be one in Cairo) but most other industries, including prisons, have moved out.  Western KY is becoming a little more developed, around the Paducah area, but I don't think that the PD work there is very lucrative.  Just south of there is Murray with a small regional state university and is a VERY nice place to live.

You might think of central or eastern KY.  Of course there is UK in Lexington and if you're still interested in law enforcement, there is a LE program at Eastern KY University in Richmond.  Both areas are great places to live.

Cairo was one of the PD's I was looking at just do to the fact that it is more like the job I'm doing now the only bad thing is that I will not have the 240 and 50 cal when I need them .
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thats is why I'm going back there so that I can get $1,125.00 or so a month in my pocket from my GI bill (I got the $600 kicker that ups it to an exter $184 a month.) But I still get my school for free and I close to the states that I want to move to. I'm still looking at getting a PD job in KY or TN and have my family stay in IL untill I get done with PD boot camp stuff.

Ill be close to TN and KY to take there PD tests and stuff. I joined in IL so I'm going to get my free schooling from them.

Illinois Veterans Grant Rules!!!!!

I went to SIU when I got out of the Navy in '02.

My TOTAL COST per semester was around $250.00 + books.  You can't beat that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illinois Veterans Grant Rules!!!!!

I went to SIU when I got out of the Navy in '02.

My TOTAL COST per semester was around $250.00 + books.  You can't beat that.

I'm doing the online schooling. Its the best one for me having two kids and one onthe way it also gives me time to get a part time job and let my wife who is a RN and makeing $25 hr at her job work full time. Also I know a few guys who did this and they told me they got there BA in about 2 years and there AA in about a year. I'm not sure what I'm going to major in yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#36]
btt
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Well at lest I'm getting a nice house with a lot of land on it 5 acers I think I'm going to try and build a nice  little shooting range some where on my property. First I need to look up the laws on that does anyone know where to go to look that stuff up? Or I'm I just going to have have to call the county PD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top