Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:12:29 AM EDT
I know someone who wants a gun for a CCW but refuses to wear a holster. I even bought him a nice holster but he won't wear it EVER! He wants to carry in his pocket. Do any of you guys carry in your pocket? To me this seems foolish and an accident waiting to happen. What are your opinions.

Oh and pocket style holsters are out of the question too, we are talking free and pointing at your genitalia with no protection.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What does he want to carry?

I've carried a bare revolver before with no issues. Something like a Glock loose in your pocket is an accident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know someone who wants a gun for a CCW but refuses to wear a holster. I even bought him a nice holster but he won't wear it EVER! He wants to carry in his pocket. Do any of you guys carry in your pocket? To me this seems foolish and an accident waiting to happen. What are your opinions.

Oh and pocket style holsters are out of the question too, we are talking free and pointing at your genitalia with no protection.

Carrying a firearm without a holster is a pretty silly thing to do. The weapon is going to move around, print more easily, and may be more difficult to draw in an emergency.

It sounds like your friend is too stupid to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a holsters.

Precisely what you said ... that practice is "dangerous" in that the gun may fall out of your pocket!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm......maybe we need to get him and FBI together.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]
A holster is required for carry in Georgia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes I cary my beretta 21 A in my pocket withour a holster.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard about this one guy who wore a holster in court.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
A Kahr PM9 is what he wants to carry. He even compared my carrying a Glock in a holster with one in the chamber as being as dangerous. I disagree completely. He is not a stupid person by any means but he is acting like it when it comes to this.

A clip draw is also out of the question. He wants to carry a gun with out all of the stuff that it takes to carry one
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#12]
i wear my ccw holster everyday.   what a weirdo  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
It seems I'm the odd man out. Any recommendations for a SIG P229?!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It seems I'm the odd man out. Any recommendations for a SIG P229?!

Yes, Milt Sparks VMII.  I carry my 220 in it and it's very comfy, even if you're a little thick in the middle like me.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Last time I checked holsters are designed for guns to be inserted in them.  Pockets are not.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#17]
My Kel-Tec P32 has a belt clip.  I clip it in my waist band like I would the holster, but it has no holster.  Or sometimes in my pocket.

All other CCW guns I have get a holster.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Very foolish.

If he insits on carrying like that, Uncle Mikes (and I am sure others make them also) make a inside the pocket thin little clip holster thing, that will  keep his sidearm secured.

www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9006786&catky=3407251&subcatky1=4548802&subcatky2=2000018
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
If I carry my S&W 642 I just have it sitting in my front pocket pointing straight down. Maybe it's just my jeans, but it doesn't move around and doesn't print at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A Kahr PM9 is what he wants to carry. He even compared my carrying a Glock in a holster with one in the chamber as being as dangerous. I disagree completely. He is not a stupid person by any means but he is acting like it when it comes to this.

A clip draw is also out of the question. He wants to carry a gun with out all of the stuff that it takes to carry one

Holsters were invented for a reason.

And on a weapon with no manual safety, a holster that covers the trigger guard is an ABSOLUTE necessity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I hve a paddle for my P229.
But, when I can't carry that, I carry a Kel-Tec P-32 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Obviously I always carry my G19 in a holster, but I don't own a holster for my 340. I use a clip draw or just carry it in my pocket.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Even pocket carry can be improved with a holster. It keeps the lint and pocket debris out of the guns action, prints less and keeps the gun pointed in the proper direction.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Even pocket carry can be improved with a holster. It keeps the lint and pocket debris out of the guns action, prints less and keeps the gun pointed in the proper direction.

Right, I agree.   I carry a Kahr MK9 in my pocket when I dont' have a regular loose shirt to cover a BHP.  I use a simple "Uncle Mike's" "Sidekick" to protect the muzzle (keeping lint out as well as scratches), and the surface keeps it aligned.  Helps minimize printing, too.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Carrying a firearm without a holster is a pretty silly thing to do. The weapon is going to move around, print more easily, and may be more difficult to draw in an emergency.

agreed
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I mean really, its a sleve of polished leather with a clip on it....and he says he doesn't want to worry about, "all the other stuff".  

What happens if he has have to run, it's far more likely the gun will dislodge than if it were in a holster?
What happens when a key ring gets caught up in the trigger guard?
What happens when some little tear or piece of fabric gets caught up in the trigger guard?

Oh....and get your holster back!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#27]
If you carry with no holster and ever need your gun, your going to shoot yourself, and or, fumble the draw and give them more time to get a good aim on your nose right before they kill you.  And you deserve it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I frequenly pocket carry my PM9. I have a pocket holster for when I do this. It is beyond stupid to pocket carry such a weapon without a pocket holster of some sort. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, there's always Blackie Collins
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Barami Hip Grip.

Been carrying a Smith Bodyguard or
a Colt Cobra daily that way since the early eighties...

If you carry a small revolver do yourself a favor and
check it out.... Every bit as secure as an IWB holster and a whole
lot more concealable...
I routinely carry one of the above revolvers in my waistband
with a tucked in shirt. I simply "blouse" the shirt around the grip
of the gun.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Whenever a belt holster is too inconvenient (like when I will be going in and out of "prohibited" areas), I carry my Kahr MK40 in my pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Cheap, almost no weight, and keeps the gun in place with the trigger guard covered. I fail to see any reason why your friend could not live with this approach unless he has some irrational reason for carrying an unholstered weapon (like proving how tough he is, saw it in a Hollywood movie etc.).

In my case, this is tremendously convenient for legal reasons too. In AZ a weapon is legal and "not concealed" if it is placed, while holstered, in a glove box; this means I can throw my MK40/Uncle Mikes rig in my glovebox and not worry if my wife takes the car (she has no CCW), or if I'm carrying passengers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Colt vest pocket
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#34]
There's nothing really all that wrong with carrying a DAO gun like a Kahr or a J-frame in a pocket without a holster, provided that nothing else is ever carried in that pocket.  The biggest problem, and it's more a problem for autos than the J-frames, is that it can be difficult to get a good grip on the gun as it moves around in the pocket.  

I have tucked my Airweight into my pants or coat pocket on several occasions when I am stepping out for a few minutes on a milk and bread run, but when I plan on carrying it all day, I will use the Uncle Mike's pocket holster.  It's not ideal but it does keep the gun from moving around.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I try hard every day to nudge him into getting a holster, even a pocket holster. I leave printouts for him and links to websites but he still refuses to listen. I wonder why he even wants to carry some days. He NEVER shoots his guns EVER! I sold him a Glock almost four years ago and he fired it maybe 3 times, I don't mean three different occasions I mean he pulled the trigger 3 TIMES. He carries a Ruger .45 and has never even shot it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#36]
You know, there are routinely a few people that will jump all
over me when I say that people with no training that CCW
are accidents waiting to happen.

Here's just another example of just such an occurance.

Remember, when this asshead has his ND, it will come
back to affect all of us, and, be quoted as a statistic by
every gun grabber out there.

All it would take would be one basic 1-3 day handgun course
for 150-350 bucks and he'd be trained and have had multiple
repetitions of drawing from concealed to make an objective
decision about his carry choice.

As far as his equateing his decision to your decision to carry
a hot weapon...Well...I think that is just a testimate to his
ignorance about weapons.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah by carry I mean in his hand and then into or on his desk. This is the gun I bought him the holster for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You know, there are routinely a few people that will jump all
over me when I say that people with no training that CCW
are accidents waiting to happen.

Here's just another example of just such an occurance.

Remember, when this asshead has his ND, it will come
back to affect all of us, and, be quoted as a statistic by
every gun grabber out there.

All it would take would be one basic 1-3 day handgun course
for 150-350 bucks and he'd be trained and have had multiple
repetitions of drawing from concealed to make an objective
decision about his carry choice.

As far as his equateing his decision to your decision to carry
a hot weapon...Well...I think that is just a testimate to his
ignorance about weapons.

I just hope he doesn't ND into ME
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Last time I checked holsters are designed for guns to be inserted in them.  Pockets are not.

a holster is a gun pocket :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#41]

I just hope he doesn't ND into ME

Me too, man.

Always walk on his non-weapon side.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT'S funny.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#43]
No, but I know a guy, former frequent Arfcom poster, who would carry a USP45 "Mexican style" - in the waistband with a tight belt and no holster. I never got to talk to him about it much, but it didn't seem like a real good idea to me. If you pulled the belt tight enough to get it to sorta stay in place, then it'd be digging into your side painfully, and still be likely to fall out of place if you had to make any sudden, violent motion, like the kind you might have to make in a fight for your life.

I pretty much always wear a holster when carying. The only exception is if I'm stepping outside to check the mail or something, and just tuck something in my waistband.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Good way to test your carry method.

Sprint 20 yards, drop to the ground roll over and over about 3 times, get up sprint another 10 yards, Jump a chain link fence, fall after you climb over, then get in and out of your car 4 times like your gonna die if you do it to slow.

If your gun ever moves, you need a new carry method.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sprint 20 yards, drop to the ground roll over and over about 3 times, get up sprint another 10 yards, Jump a chain link fence, fall after you climb over, then get in and out of your car 4 times like your gonna die if you do it to slow.

I think I'd probably die just doing the test
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#46]
i carry my Kel Tec P3AT in my pocket
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

if i have to do that, someone is going to die!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I like to carry my gun in the front pocket that already comes sewn into every pair of tighty whities I buy.

I heard the hole was originally for easy access to my ding ding when I gotta go, but the gun just fits in there just right.  Makes my junk look bigger too.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I bet 50%+ of the fatasses at this site couldnt do that, regardless of their carry status
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT'S funny.

IIRC he was into that "gettin groped" thing  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top