Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:07:33 PM EDT
Gave up the evil drug about a year ago, but periodically fall off of the wagon for about a day or so, guzzling caffeinated products then going back on the wagon. Did it yesterday and today I have a headache consistent with the one I would get when first giving it up. Can one day of consuming this stuff cause a "hangover"? Only had probably 6 diet soda yesterday........

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:14:43 PM EDT
"Only" 6 sodas? Dang, lot's of potential caffiene trouble there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:16:04 PM EDT
I don't know, I'm so addicted if I dont have a soda before lunch, I get a headache.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:16:20 PM EDT
Yep, withdrawl symptom from addiction ... 6 diet sodas (caffeinated) is still a hell of a lot of caffeine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT by Tango7]
I quit cold turnkey when I worked for the bomberos federales ... Headaches, irritability, body aches.

My shift mates begged me to start up again because I was such an *sshole....

My wife discovered it when I was on a Kelly day (regular shift day scheduled off for FLSA) and was being a real ass... she dragged me off to our local truck stop and we had breakfast.

I was much more human after that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:21:29 PM EDT
Yes. Don't drink so many when you never have it in your diet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT
Headaches from caffeine withdrawal are common. Better to taper down.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:25:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:26:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

Agreed, but drinking it for only one day shouldn't give caffeine withdrawel headaches. But everyone is different in how they react to a particular 'drug'. I don't tolerate caffeine well so I pretty well much stay away from caffeinated beverages.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:31:32 PM EDT
What is happening is that the brain vessels that have normally been slightly engorged due to caffeine are shrinking back to normal size. This is letting small tears appear in the relaxed sections that let red blood cells escape across the blood/brain barrier that cause migraine like pain.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

Agreed, but drinking it for only one day shouldn't give caffeine withdrawel headaches. But everyone is different in how they react to a particular 'drug'. I don't tolerate caffeine well so I pretty well much stay away from caffeinated beverages.

Well, you never know. Like you said, everyone is different. I can't even tolerate caffeine without getting a headache. Maybe the amount of caffeine he ingested was enough to really throw the various mechanims (e.g., phosphodiesterase, intracellular Ca+, adenosine) for a rebound that was his headache for today. Headache is the most common problem when "withdrawal" from caffeine sets in, but I'd call this rebound, not withdrawal.

You wanna take the edge off the headache if it's bad enough, then drink some caffeinated soda, just not more than 6 to 12 oz.
Top Top