Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 6:07:15 PM EDT
How the hell do I get spyware off?

Both Ad-Aware and Spybot are worthless, they cant get these 3 or 4 spyware programs off my computer.  They arent finding them or it says it cant delete them because memory is using it or something like that.  Running the programs before even booting up doesnt work either.  They just cant get my machine clean.  What else could I do?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag...I have the same crap coming back constantly
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Be sure you're running the scans and removals in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work. Reformat and smarten up for next time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Format from space, it's the only way to be sure.

Can you let me know the name of the malware you are having trouble eliminating?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Get AOL spy zapper...it's free and you get it in  the security section of AOL9.0....and you do not need to be signed on with AOL to run it.....only  to download it

good luck!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
go to download.com and download Spybot:Search and Destroy and also get Ad Aware.  I use those two programs and it does good things.

Trend micro also has a free spyware/virus scanner program that runs from their website.  I usually run that once a week so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably cause the same sites you visit keep installing them over an over again.  I am using IE 7.0 beta with an added in adblock tool and I am getting no spyware at all.

You can also try Spybot Search & Destroy spyware remover too.  But like I said, they will keep installing by going back to those sites again.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Infection: Spyware

prevention: Firefox

cure A: Housecall
cure B: adaware
cure C: Format C, reinstall windows
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
go to bleepingcomputer.com or geekstogo.com look for the forums and look for Hijackthis log analisis, download hijackthis and run it, there should be directions on the site, it might take a few day but they will help you, I've done it a couple times now
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]

with a digital pimp and hoe!

J/K  Stop using Eye fuckin' EEE whatever version it SUX!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to www.trendmicro.com

click on the "free spyware remover"

I use all the oter stuff but about once a month I go here and it picks something out that Spybot, Microsoft, Adware, let in and don't see.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Firefox is getting just as bad.  I've been getting 3 or 4 std ones now.  Since switching to IE7.0 beta, none.  I'm happy camper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
go to download.com and download Spybot:Search and Destroy and also get Ad Aware.  I use those two programs and it does good things.

Trend micro also has a free spyware/virus scanner program that runs from their website.  I usually run that once a week so.

Dude, did you even read his original post?

Both Ad-Aware and Spybot are worthless, they cant get these 3 or 4 spyware programs off my computer.

Hooray for reading!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I just won a hard fought battle with a virus or two, and the best I mean BEST advice I can give you is go to www.geekstogo.com, look for "hijack  logs go here " or something similar, listen to what these people tell you to do, it may take a while for someone gets to your thread but someone will answer you and will absoultly clean your computer of all the problems and fix a bunch of things that you didnt know were broken...

geekstogo.com....accept no substitutes

you will need to download "hijackthis" and post the log it produces..look on GTG to find it
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Webroot spysweeper trial version got rid of the about:blank hijack a while back but now they make you buy it before you run the fix....  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just won a hard fought battle with a virus or two, and the best I mean BEST advice I can give you is go to www.geekstogo.com, look for "hijack  logs go here " or something similar, listen to what these people tell you to do, it may take a while for someone gets to your thread but someone will answer you and will absoultly clean your computer of all the problems and fix a bunch of things that you didnt know were broken...

you will need to download "hijackthis" and post the log it produces..look on GTG to find it

+1000000
no need to reformat and you comp will be running like new, and it is free.
All the people there at one time didn't no anything about computers and had a problem they couldn't fix, someone helped them for free and now that they know what they are doing the will help you for free.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
i like to run two seperate anti-spyware programs.  

i found that ad-aware and MS anti-spyware are an excellent combo.  that on top of a good and solid anti-virus program and you're all set.

the last time i had major problems, i took someone's advice and visited www.castlecops.com

the forums are great!  lots of very useful information there on how to fix your current problem and how to protect yourself in the future.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firefox is getting just as bad.  I've been getting 3 or 4 std ones now.  Since switching to IE7.0 beta, none.  I'm happy camper.

And thats what I use, Firefox.  It used to stop all pop ups and stop programs from downloading themselves, but I guess it doesnt anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
You get rid of it by installing Linux.  Thats only if you want to get rid of it permanently.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks, I found it.  I will go through their lengthy tutorial on the different steps on how to remove malware tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I had some shit on my PC that AJAX couldn't have got off!
I tried:
Trend Micro
Adware
Spy Bot
Microsoft
Webroot.

Finally I paid for a program ($39.00) called XOFT it got my PC back with the first scan.
Scans are fast also.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Download a free trial of Counter Spy, update it and run it:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy-Download.cfm

It will find stuff that Adaware and spybot will never find.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
spybot S&D
BHOdemon
AVG
Firefox with Noscript running.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Trojan Hunter does a good job also. Use Hijack this with care; you can really screw up your system if you delete the wrong things. Make sure you read the directions carefully.

Spywareblaster will help prevent a reinfection.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Try Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Be sure you're running the scans and removals in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work. Reformat and smarten up for next time.

They killed the Giant antispy-based Beta and the new version sucks!  The set up claims it will treat file sharing programs like spyware and delete them.  Booo!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]
a must read for the newbies.   rogue list

edit there is no spyware, antitrojan, antivirus software out there that will catch everything.    Learn to surf safely and you will not have these programs.

ANYTHING that is free in the internet will always have its disadvantages.  

read the TOS  when installed ANY software from any web page. you never know what might be bundled
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top