Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:14:18 PM EDT
How do ya make a excellent cornbread, mine always turn out so so
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not put sugar in it, EVER. Buttermilk cornbread is the way to go, just follow the directions on the side of the martha white cornmeal bag.

Sweet cornbread is nothing but a piece of cake and should be banned. I went in a diner here a few weeks ago and they only had sweet cornbread and they put sugar in their greens. Bastards.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You need a seasoned cast iron skillet. Make sure you heat up the oil and the skillet in the oven before adding the batter like it says in the directions. I even put a little bacon fat in mine for flavor sometimes. Jalepeno cornbread is ok too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, do this:  right here
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do not put sugar in it, EVER. Buttermilk cornbread is the way to go, just follow the directions on the side of the martha white cornmeal bag.

Sweet cornbread is nothing but a piece of cake and should be banned. I went in a diner here a few weeks ago and they only had sweet cornbread and they put sugar in their greens. Bastards.

yeah  really If i want my cornbread sweet Id ask for some honey on the side!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want sweet cornbread (cornbread "cake"), double the sugar.  Bake in a cast iron skillet and then use the broiler to brown the top.  

Marie Calendars makes a popular mix.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Cornbread!

Yum, yum!

<--- Born a yankee, but smart enough to have learned about cornbread!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
NO SUGAR
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
"cornbread, aint nothing wrong with that."
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: just follow the directions on the side of the martha white cornmeal bag.

No such animal is avaible here, got another recommended brand of corn meal
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted: Bake in a cast iron skillet and then use the broiler to brown the top.  

Cast Iron & not glass baking dish

Marie Calendars makes a popular mix.

Never seen anything except "her" frozen food line, will have to try and hunt some down as I've got a craving for cornbread and butter
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
What's with the aversion to sugar in cornbread?

I'm wondering if I've only had cornbread with sugar, or without?

The stuff the sell at KFC is with sugar?

Is Boston Market with sugar?

Is my mom's (made from the package directions) with sugar?

hmmmm
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to go against the Hive Mind here and suggest that you DO put sugar in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What's with the aversion to sugar in cornbread? it's some sort of abomination by the yankees

I'm wondering if I've only had cornbread with sugar, or without?

The stuff the sell at KFC is with sugar? You said KFC!

Is Boston Market with sugar? yes, key word BOSTON

Is my mom's (made from the package directions) with sugar? Invite me over i'll tell ya

hmmmm

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya'll are all pikers. I love the Boston Market cornbread. Perfect for sopping up gravy, and I don't give a damn what ya'll say.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Easy great tasting cornbread
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.jiffymix.com/productpics/corn_muffin_big.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I used to go eat at this guys house down the street and he would make cornbread with a can of mexicali corn thrown in it.

He would factor in the corn juice and use less water or milk.

It was pretty good, might be worth a try!

Fixed it for ya, and yes it is a good twist , but not good southern cornbread
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd kill someone for some Chi Chi's sweet corn bread cake.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Might well put some icing on that stuff, the sugar goes in the iced tea, not the cornbread
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Tried it, did not turn out any good
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Jiffy mix baked and mixed in a greased iron skillet
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The south is good for two things women and corn bread, they are still working on tea and chili.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I add blackstrap molasses to
my recipe...Slightly sweetened.

I like it and my dogs like it.
My dogs have excellent taste.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tried it, did not turn out any good

This is the good stuff here follow the recipe in this link.

Quoted:
Dude, do this:  right here

Celeste's Mississippi Cornbread
Printer-friendly version

[Last updated January 27, 2001] You may also be interested in Celeste's Mexican Chocolate Brownies or Lazy Cook's Guacamole recipes.

I get some of the strangest requests from my clients. By popular demand, here is my recipe for real Mississippi Cornbread. It's a standard dish in my hometown of Greenville, Mississippi (The Most Southern Place on Earth), and has a wonderful texture and taste. This is not that sweet stuff full of flour and sugar that we call Yankee Cornbread or Johnny Cake. This is real cornbread! :-)

1 cup buttermilk (or 7 ounces of milk + 1 ounce vinegar or lemon juice, mixed and left to sit for about 30 minutes until curdled. If you're in a hurry, mix the milk and vinegar or lemon juice and microwave it for 20-30 seconds on high power.)
1 large egg
1 cup cornmeal, yellow or white (Stone-ground cornmeal is best, but not required. I prefer yellow for a more crumbly cornbread. My mother, who taught me this recipe, prefers white for a smooth-textured cornbread. We often compromise by mixing the two.)
1 teaspoon salt (use 1/2 teaspoon salt if you don't like your cornbread quite so salty)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder (if you're at high altitude, use 1 teaspoon baking powder, else the cornbread will rise too high, then fall)
1.5 tablespoons of bacon drippings or vegetable oil (try garlic-flavored olive oil. Excellent!)
Optional ingredients for different tastes: Use any or all of these for a different taste, as the mood strikes you
1/2-3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
1-4 finely chopped jalapeno or chile peppers (no seeds!)
2 cloves finely minced garlic
1/2-3/4 cup whole kernel corn
Pour drippings or oil into an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan. Heat pan in a 450 degree oven until oil is smoking hot.

While pan is heating, mix dry ingredients and any of the optional ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Beat egg into buttermilk. Add liquids to dry mixture, just until blended. Do not overmix!

Carefully remove the smoking pan from oven and pour cornbread batter into pan. If the oil is properly hot, then the batter will sizzle as it hits the oil. (This sizzle is what makes a nice, crunchy bottom crust.) Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve with butter or margarine.

Note 1: The batter will begin to rise as soon as the liquid and dry ingredients are mixed, so mix them right before you remove the hot pan from the oven.

Note 2: If you use a 10" round cast-iron skillet instead of the 9" baking pan, you should double the recipe without doubling the oil. If you don't double the recipe for the 10" skillet, your cornbread will be very thin.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Sugar in cornbread = barf
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I put jalopenos in my cornbread somtimes. mmmmmm. so good for breakfeast when you wake up and cook cornbread in a dutch oven over coals.  Dont forget to put the coals on the lid too, they make the lid witha ridge around it for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#29]
My grandma (who makes the best cornbread) uses Jiffy mix, but doesn't use their directions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Corn bread without sugar tatstes like dog food.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I use Jiffy mix.

Use butter to grease my baking dish.

Add some honey to the mix,then when half done I slather the top of the cornbread with more honey,then allow to finish baking....comes out with a golden honey crust on top.

Mmmmm...that's good shit...nice and moist...gotta make some home made chili to go with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I put jalopenos in my cornbread somtimes. mmmmmm. so good for breakfeast when you wake up and cook cornbread in a dutch oven over coals.  Dont forget to put the coals on the lid too, they make the lid witha ridge around it for a reason.

I love Mexican cornbread.

I think every establishment I've eaten cornbread served sweet cornbread.  Leave the sugar out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I add blackstrap molasses to
my recipe...Slightly sweetened.

I like it and my dogs like it.
My dogs have excellent taste.

And your dogs will eat cat shit.
Follow the above listed and get a good corn bread.
Cornbread is a learned skill, bacon grease? how much? that is by taste.
Cast iron is a must have Surgar/sweeteners are best after it is cooked.
Molasses or honey are fine with the butter (real stuff) but not in the mix.
Jiffy or Martha White are good starting mixes also.
In the morning some platter bacon, fried potatoes, pan gravey, and cornbread, and maybe a egg or two.
Some people will say this will clog the arteries but how long do you live?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's with the aversion to sugar in cornbread?

it's some sort of abomination by the damnyankees

Fixed it for you.  Remember, 'Yankees is only half a word.

Shrike9, "White Lily" is another good mix, but I've never seen it outside the South.  I think the mixes are nothing more than plain cornmeal, a little flour, and some baking soda (to react with the acid in the buttermilk -- ETA: well, hell, maybe it *is* baking powder, I dunno).  You might do some googling to track down a recipe that doesn't start from a mix.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Pie are not square. Pie are round. Cornbread are square.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Lard and cast iron are needed to do it right.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
NO FUCK'IN SUGAR WHAT'SO EVER!!!!!!  SUGARED CORNBREAD IS FOR PUSSYS, LIBERALS, HOLLYWIERD TYPES AND SISSY NORTHERNERS!!!!!!

TrOoPeRcHiN, your post was sufficient but I edited it to express my feelings on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#38]
2 cups corn meal mix
1 1/3 cup milk (buttermilk is for biscuits)
1/4 cup bacon grease
1 egg, beaten

preheat oven to 450 degrees.
place 1/4 cup bacon grease in seasoned, cast iron skillet
Meanwhile, combine rest of ingredients in a bowl.
(When grease is hot, pour into bowl with rest of ingredients)
Bake at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown

DO NOT ADD SUGAR, WE'RE MAKING CORNBREAD, NOT CAKE!!!!

Recipe works real well, in fact, Martha White puts it on their packaging.

B_S

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#39]
no sugar in the corn bread?
what is wrong with you people?
it's corny and bread.  add sugar and you got a cake.
everyone likes cake.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#40]
ARGH, I've made cornbread 3 times following the recipies posted here & it's turned out cruddy each time.

Guess I'll run out to the store & get some Jiffy corn bread mix & try that again
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You need to use a cast iron pan.  Oil it and heat it up in the oven to the baking temperature.  Poor the badder into the already hot pan and bake.  It will drop right out of the pan and be delicious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top