BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did I join the USAF?

Service to my country
Educational opportunities (100% free tuition)
Travel opportunities
Steady income
Advancement opportunity

Oh, and to take up the slack for those who are
physically fit enough to serve, but choose to dress-up in surplus
gear, play with the toys and pretend to serve.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Because I wanted to blow shit up...kill gomers and lay waste to their world.

Well...maybe only in part...but at 17 what the hell does any yout really know.  In those days, my world then was rather unpleasant.  I joined up to get three hots and a cot, learn a trade and play at war.  Twenty eight years later, my missus declared my fun days to be at an end and I retired.  I played at enlisted and officer.  Both had their good points and both had their negatives.

It was the toughest life you can imagine...and the most stressful.  It was also the most fun we have ever had.  You NEVER forget those who watch your back...who share the same hole, eat the same chow...or dirt, are happy and scared like you...hate the same pompous asshole REMFs for the same reasons, love the same great commanders who you'd follow to the Gates of Hell itself.  All these guys are the best...the men with whom you party until you simply can't stand...then fall down, get up and do it again!  

I remember all those guys...the jerks and the heros.  They shape us...they form our conciousness for the rest of our lives.

Go read Henry V.  Shakespeare wrote a pretty good reason.  Then go ask an old Vet to show you his scars on St. Crispian's Day.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Somebody put their ass on the line to give me the great life I had so...I guess it was my turn.  Basically, I owed them and future generations.  My "turn in the barrel," if you will.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I can say after 28 years of Naval Service, so you can sleep tonight. It was one hell of a ride.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am 19, and currently in college and thinking very seriously about joing the army upon graduation. My main reason is because  I feel this very strong desire/urge to serve my country.  I do not want to make a career out of it, I would just like to serve for 3 years and then go to law school.

My question to those who serve is why did you join?

Thanks
James

You are right on my path...except I chose Navy.  Did I say, "I chose Navy?"  I'm a bit bias but I've never regretted joining the Naaaaavvvvyyyy.  Either way, just serve.  I'm proud of you.  You'll won't regret it...if you join the NAVY.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can say after 28 years of Naval Service, so you can sleep tonight. It was one hell of a ride.

Yes it was, LDO.  I joined as an E-1, did 4 years active.  Stayed in the Reserves up to the 32 mark and retired as an O-6.  Got to see and do a lot of stuff that other folks can't even dream of.  It was really one fine ride.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
1977 - I wanted to "Kill a Commie for Christ" (our crew actually had a patch made)

Truth is, that I spent a year in college, slept in the women's dorm for the greater part of it, decided that my Mom was wasting cash on me and my education for her horny son, joined the Nav - (aviation) and did my duty in the cold war.

Kill em all and let Allah (Stalin) sort em' out!

USN - VP 48, P3C, SS1 (acoustic)  USSR Nuc subs belong to us!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
drop out of high school and  join the army.
i wasn't getting along at school and had some incorrect info told to me by my school counselor.
three weeks into basic i got my proof that the counselor didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
got my schedule to vocational school.

in the end it was the best learning experiance in the 5 years i was in!
i would do it all over again,but not i would not of gotten out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Thats why.

I had no interest in joining until that day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If you feel a "very strong desire/urge to serve" your country,  you've already answered your own question.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top